1/48 Iraqi Mig-25 PDS - Final pictures page 5

Hello there!

it's been awhile since my last WIP here.

I want now to share some pictures of my current build.

A few weeks before AMK announced a new Mig-25 kit, I decided to start my Kitty hawk kit.

And this, because of my friend Christophe who did a nice job on his own build:

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t75195-mig-25-foxbat-kitty-hawk-1-48

I want to depict an Iraqi fighters from the first Gulf War:

mig-25pds-foxbat-25211-iraf-tc-206.jpg

http://www.aviationgraphic.com/airplanes/335-mig-25pds-foxbat-25211-iraf-tc-206.html

So, maybe you know that this kit is controversial because of its many flaws:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950939-kitty-hawk-mig-25pdpds-detailing-corrections/

Some of them are not that serious and easily fixable, others won't be treated at all...

But, to my eyes there are some points that need serious work in order to depict the correct rendering of this brutal plane.

Radome and exhausts are the most critical to me.

I will start with the radome.

Kitty hawk totally botched this area. The radome section is weird shaped, with a "square rounded" cross section instead of a perfectly round one.

Also, the cross section at its base is more wide than high.

Moreover, the profile is not symmetrical, and the radome seems to be "down curved ".

So, based on scale drawing, I CAD designed a nose cone. While being maybe not 100% accurate, it will be more convincing. And perfectly round :rolleyes:/>/>

Coupe%20radome%20Mig%2025a_zpsm2lu49cu.jpg

Then, thanks to "Shapeways" https://www.shapeways.com/ I ordered a 3D printed sample:

IMG_8414_zpsgkkhjuvn.jpg

The surface is pretty rough, and need some Surfacer to get smooth:

20151022_192023_zpsuzjix90g.jpg

Because of the weird cross section of the kit, I had to add material on top of the fuselage in order to get a circle section.

IMG_8416_zpseksjriii.jpg

Sanding is also needed to smooth down some angles.

After sanding and surfacing:

20151024_142255_zps248jemvd.jpg

20151024_180556_zpsyvthufik.jpg

Some work is also needed here, in order to get a good fit to the cockpit section:

20151024_181205_zpsreotnozi.jpg

20151024_181241_zpsuclmu7yo.jpg

Edited by rom

Hi, Romain!

I wholly agree with yer French partner above; ya simply rock! :worship:

It's an awesome correction ya've just made to the KH kit radome. It's almost spot-on! I might go further back with makin' the fuselage round on mine, to where the windshiled base meets the forward fuselaje, as it's shown on the BM thread.

Will be eagerly followin' this build, rom.

Keep up the good work, mate.

Cheers,

UncÂČ

Thanks guys!

I might go further back with makin' the fuselage round on mine, to where the windshiled base meets the forward fuselaje, as it's shown on the BM thread.

You're right Uncle. I did not have the courage to go that far :unsure:

It means making a whole new half of the total length of the plane... :bandhead2:

Cheers!! :cheers:

Romain

Hi Rom,

as I have the Kitty Hawk MiG-25 in my stash too I'll follow your build with great interest. It is a pity that one doesn't see many builds of this kit so I'm glad you decided to share it with us.

I already scratched my head about how to improve the nose section on the kit. Is there any chance that you would sell some copies of your nose correction to interested modellers? I guess quite a few guys (including myself of course B)) would be very interested.

Cheers,

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

Hi rom! :wave:

How're ya doin,' bud? Y'know I've started goin' yer way on modifyin' my KH kit; just found out the L&M nose cone correction for the Academy Su-27 to be such close match for the Foxbat as well.

Would ya say the shape of the radomes on both aircraft look quite the same? Y'see I've got some scaled-up plans of the MiG-25P which come on Piotr Butowski's book on the Foxbat, matchin' the L&M radome rather spot on, but then again, dunno whether anyone could trust printed plans... Just don't know.

Will see if I can get to post a coupla piccies of my mods.

Cheers, rom :cheers:

Hope to see more progress on yer build very soon.

UncÂČ

I believe you can allow Shapeways to sell your 3D printed part, and you will get some money out of it too for each part sold. That way people can benefit from your CAD work, although they will have to do the same amount of work to smooth and match the part to the inaccurate nose.

Jens

hello guys,

Thank you for your comments!

Perhaps a aftermarket maker would buy that plug off you to make it available to the masses?

I know Maestro does that, had a mate make plugs for the Gripen BOL-pylons for instance.

Hi aigore nice to see you here!

thank you for the idea. I'll keep it in mind.

just found out the L&M nose cone correction for the Academy Su-27 to be such close match for the Foxbat as well.

Would ya say the shape of the radomes on both aircraft look quite the same? Y'see I've got some scaled-up plans of the MiG-25P which come on Piotr Butowski's book on the Foxbat, matchin' the L&M radome rather spot on, but then again, dunno whether anyone could trust printed plans... Just don't know.

Will see if I can get to post a coupla piccies of my mods.

hi Uncle!

In fact, this was my first idea too!!

Butt according to the plans I got, the Flanker nose was a bit tighter in diameter and shorter in length than a Foxbat nose.

But, like, you, I think the shapes are quite the same.

Nevertheless, it will require some adjusting work to match the round cross section to the "square like" KittyWok fuselage plug.

Do not hesitate to post picture of your dry fit tests!

I believe you can allow Shapeways to sell your 3D printed part, and you will get some money out of it too for each part sold. That way people can benefit from your CAD work, although they will have to do the same amount of work to smooth and match the part to the inaccurate nose.

Jens

Hi Jens,

yes you are right. But as you said, my corrected radome will only fit to my corrected fuselage plug...

Well, be advised that I keep in mind you suggestions.

Thank you guys!

So now, here is some update!

Lets start with the cockpit.

Two years ago I found a neomega resin cockpit by a polish seller on a Model Show.

It was what we can call a real bargain as I paid it 2€ :)/>

IMG_8405_zpsfgswajam.jpg

KittyHawk plastic parts are pretty good, but resin offers more relief.

The lateral consoles were glued with just a drop of instant glue, and then I started dryfitting tests into the front fuselage.

It will require some sanding to fit the resin cockpit (wich was released for the Revell Foxbat) into KH plastic.

IMG_8409_zps3mrozcpi.jpg

Then I made my own mix to get this particular Russian Interior Blue/green:

IMG_8411_zpsnnouu2oj.jpg

I tried some zenithal effect by spraying lighter shade vertically.

it will enlighten the top surfaces and details.

Then I applied an oil wash:

IMG_8543_zpsrk88t4ir.jpg

Details are painted with acrylics and a fin brush:

IMG_8552_zpso6lvmcns.jpg

IMG_8551_zpsvu0htm32.jpg

Instruments on the front panel are decals cut in the Revell Foxbat decal sheet.

Lighter wash and some drybrushing are also applied.

IMG_8550_zpslfvj6lmw.jpg

Ejector handles are cut in masking tape and painted red.

Final assembly:

IMG_8553_zpsqhvva4cb.jpg

IMG_8554_zpsemcncbzh.jpg

See you soon for wheel bays.

Romain

Hi Rom,

nice work on the cockpit. Do you have a mixture ratio for the "Russian blue" colour?

hi Uncle!

In fact, this was my first idea too!!

Butt according to the plans I got, the Flanker nose was a bit tighter in diameter and shorter in length than a Foxbat nose.

But, like, you, I think the shapes are quite the same.

Nevertheless, it will require some adjusting work to match the round cross section to the "square like" KittyWok fuselage plug.

Do not hesitate to post picture of your dry fit tests!

Last week when I saw your nose mod I decided to crack open my kit and played around with an unused Quickboost Su-27 radome. The fit is actually quite close.

I had to reshape the curvature of the nose cone and the front fuselage a bit. All remaining steps were then filled with 2 component epoxy putty and now I'm in the process of restoring all lost panel lines. And it looks so much better now...

If you don't mind I can post a pic of my mod later.

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus!

sadly I cant remember the ratio very well..

But I guess I started with light blue an d then added deep blue and green.

As uncle above, I am pretty curious to see both of you posting your nose correction.

feel free to do so :)/>

Romain

Edited by rom

FYI on the Shapeways option...

I've just mocked up a replacement nose in CAD (basically, the four pieces from the windshield break forward, shapes based on the AiV drawings), and going with the minimum possible wall thickness and zero markup, you're looking at $15 for nylon (WSF), $30 for FUD, $50 for FXD and $25 for acrylic.

On the plus side, it then becomes possible to do noses for both the P and PD, since they're wildly different in panel lines and details - the big IRST fairing being the most notable change. I haven't added anything more than the fuselage break lines to this model though (yet).

Just doing the radome would probably be about 1/2 the price(?). I'd have to check the part volumes... Yeah, you're looking at a little more than 1/2 the price for just the radome.

Oh, and as an aside, it's been a while since I handled the plastic in the kit and... geez. The radome in the kit really is laughably bad. Like, you can *see* the corners on it. How the hell do you screw up drawing a circle?!?

Edited by MoFo

I've just mocked up a replacement nose in CAD

Wow! nice job mate!

Have you pictures of the printed part?

I was a bit disappointed by the surface roughness when I received my printed radome.

So if I get it right, your part is printed without panel lines, and you have to scribe them?

The radome in the kit really is laughably bad. Like, you can *see* the corners on it. How the hell do you screw up drawing a circle?!?

Yep... that is a real shame.

Could be useful to KH design team:

http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-a-Circle

I was a bit disappointed by the surface roughness when I received my printed radome.

Yeah, it looks like you had it printed in White Strong & Flexible, which is a laser sintered nylon powder - basically, a laser is used to melt powder-fine granules of nylon together. It's (relatively) cheap and quite strong, but has a surface like a sugarcube and is a bugger to sand. Good for a lot of consumer products; a little limited for modelling purposes.

As for mine... nothing printed yet - I'm just drafting it at the moment (I tossed it on Shapeways in case anybody's desperate for one; I'll update it when it's done, if there's interest).

Panel lines... Just haven't finished them. Made some progress tonight though (logged on to check e-mail, then three hours later...)

Foxbat_zpsi1xiprdd.jpg

Shouldn't be hard to do a version with MiG-25P panel lines. They're a lot simpler than the PD.

(/hijack) :)

That is great!

I treated the roughness with several brushed and sanded layers of mr surfacer.

Then the smooth surface is obtained by spraying Alclad grey primer, smooth sanded again.

So what material will you choose to print?

Do you think your panel lines will be well rendered?

May I ask you the diameter and length of your radome?

Cheers

Romain

I'd go with either Acrylic detail or FUD/FXD. If I was doing it as a master for resin casting, I'd do FUD/FXD, depending on how much money I wanted to sink into it - it'll take some cleanup to remove the frosting and all traces of the mineral oil they clean the parts in, but the surfaces are much smoother and it holds detail nicely. If it was a one-off and I wanted to save some money but spend more time smoothing/re-scribing, I'd go Acrylic.

WSF is best used on less detailed parts where you either don't need a great surface finish, or don't need great tolerances so can afford to have it polished (tumbled to smooth out the surfaces). IMO, anyway.

Dimensions...

MiG-25%20Nose_zpsl4067lfc.jpg

The radome is 63.3mm long x 26.1mm diameter. (top line, and line bisecting the radome)

The kit nose is about 106.5mm, by my measurement. (middle line, also showing extra length on my radome)

My (full) nose is 109.5mm (109.51498462mm...) Basically, I just scaled the AiV drawings to match the kit nose height and width at the windscreen break, and went from there. It may not actually be perfectly 1/48, but I figured it would be proportionally closer.

Edited by MoFo