Before buying an A-7 kit, what are the difference?

Greetings! I'm still working on a different aircraft model as of the moment but it's a perfect timing for me to buy other model kits.

I'm thinking of buying the Miniwings 1/144 A-7A and planning to convert it into an -E variant. So the question, what are the noticeable differences between -A and -E?

There's a miniwings A-7D Sluff available as well. Which one should I buy?

If it's going to be an -E that I will be building, I like to model a post-Vietnam paint scheme.

Thanks,

Snicks

The A had 2x 20mm cannons, while the E had an M61 Vulcan. The D had the M61, so in 1/144 it might be easier to start with it. The D had the AF style refueling receptacle on the spine, while the E had the retractable probe on the RH side of the cockpit.

Also, if you buy a D to convert it to an E, make sure it has the catapult shuttle arm on the nose gear. The USAF version did not have it. However in that scale it would be easy to scratch if it did not have it.

Snicks,

If there is one thing the 144th world needs, it is a good A-7 kit (and an F-4B,C,D!). I would love to see Revell or Platz do both types, but, as is there are three options for a SLUF: the Miniwings, Aeroclub - also an A/B, and F-Toys. The F-Toys are generally assembled and decorated, but that can all be removed and reworked to a higher standard - and it is an E to begin with.

Working with the Miniwings, though, as Jennings said, it might be easier to start with a d, since it will have the fairing for the M-61 and all you will have to do is remove the upper fuselage refueling receptacle and add the IFR probe on the right nose. A difference that Jennings did not point out is that the nose gear of the E has the catapult nose tow bar, while the E does not. Also, on the right side of the intake there is a NACA vent just aft of where the gunport is on the A/B, and further aft there is a pipe-like vent on the underside of the right nose.

Here is a quickie photo montage I did a while back on converting an E to an A which should be of some help- just do the reverse of all the instructions:

A-7EtoA-B-1.jpg

HTH,

Tom

Thanks people especially Superheat. I'll take note of these for reference.

Too bad! Miniwings -Ds are gone in Hannants (where I usually buy)! I guess I will just get the remaining -A instead. I cannot seem to see clear pics of their products, I hope they just have the same molds (A, D).

Edited by snickers

If there is one thing the 144th world needs, it is a good A-7 kit (and an F-4B,C,D!). I would love to see Revell or Platz do both types, but, as is there are three options for a SLUF: the Miniwings, Aeroclub - also an A/B, and F-Toys. The F-Toys are generally assembled and decorated, but that can all be removed and reworked to a higher standard - and it is an E to begin with.

Try to find the F-Toys one if you can. At 1/144, the M61 gun blister shouldn't be too hard to scratch build.

I've seen quite a few Miniwing kits in the box and been left quite non-plussed by the all around quality of them.