MiG-31BM 'Foxhound' (AMK 1:48)

I wouldn't be shocked if the NeOmega seat was 'tweaked' to fit an existing kit. Many aftermarket seats seem to be.

Also, this: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=85972

I would agree, but compared to the sizes of other available seats, it's in the same ballpark while AMK's seat looks to be much bigger. And as I said, it looks too wide in my opinion.

Not much is needed in this scale to make proportions turn out wrong. Lets say the seat is one mm to wide and one mm too short, that will make the seat look a lot wider than one that is one mm too narrow and one mm longer.

Anyway, your build looks very nice. Nice touch with the maps.

There are proportions of the seat that could make it look “funny”. One has to know that there is an installed electric motor to raise or lower the seat in accordance with the size of the pilot. The headrest and the back of the seat is the fixed part where one of the most important criteria is the eye level of the pilot. This has to be fix for all pilots and so the pan of the seat is raised or lowered. it entails from this that you will see very tall seats and very “short” seats of the same make. This is not only applicable for the K-36 bang seat but to every seat in service even including the very first ejection seats both in the West and in the East. For example even the early seat in the MiG-15 was also adjustable to the size of the pilot, even though here it was not an electric motor but simple mechanical adjustment with just three settings to the height.

To cut it short it all depends on what your references are, is it a seat removed from an aircraft with raised or lowered seat pan that you compare the kit offering or the aftermarket.

Another question is if a given aftermarket is designed for a particular kit. Of course you will need to have for example a wheel bay interior or a cockpit tab designed for a particular kit but what about a wheel or an ejection seat, a missile pylon, a bomb or a missile itself or for that matter a static discharger or a pitot. In these cases it is very clear that an authentic scale reproduction of the original is what one should go for. I have been asked before “Which kit is a given ejection seat master is designed for?”, I don’t know, the seat was designed by taking measurements from the original and not for a particular kit. I believe this is the way to do it. But everyone have their own opinions.

If the cockpit tab is unrealistically narrow or wide then you have a very big problem but not with the ejection seat but with a badly designed kit!

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, I am aware of the raised/lowered position. There's a nice photo in the Gordon/Komissarov book "Mikoyan MiG-31 Interceptor" where on page 68, you have a photo of both seats out of the aircraft side by side, with pilots seat with lowered headrest, while the RIO/WSO seat with raised headrest... still, even the retracted one still looks narrower than the kit's one.

Well... it shouldn't be hard to pull some dimensions from the kit seat, to compare with this:

http://server.3rd-wing.net/public/92nd%20Kodiak%20Library/K-36%20Ejection%20Seat/k36d3.JPG

One thing that does leap out at me immediately, is that the kit's seat bottom looks to be the same width as the back; on the real seat, it's noticeably narrower.

Well... it shouldn't be hard to pull some dimensions from the kit seat, to compare with this:

http://server.3rd-wing.net/public/92nd%20Kodiak%20Library/K-36%20Ejection%20Seat/k36d3.JPG

One thing that does leap out at me immediately, is that the kit's seat bottom looks to be the same width as the back; on the real seat, it's noticeably narrower.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=288943&st=40&p=2772811entry2772811

Yeah but... my link works. :whistle:

(same thing - it's the dimensions pulled from the same document, just without the slow PDF download. And, not down for maintenance ;))

Can you please repost that link, Berk - it won't open for me

Yeah but... my link works. :whistle:/>

(same thing - it's the dimensions pulled from the same document, just without the slow PDF download. And, not down for maintenance ;)/>)

I initially had it as a hyperlink in a text but it didnt want to do that for some reason so i posted it like that. And it opens fine for me when i copy paste it or google it. But yes, that is the same dimensions overview, i was just pointing out i already compared the seat to that and it was within 1mm of two major dimensions. (height and width)

Went out today to my workshop and had a look again at the seat: the seat bottom/pan (both at it's front and back) just as the back (at the bottom where it meets with the seat pan and at its top where the lift rings are) is all the way exactly the same width down to a fraction of a millimetre!

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

You're doing a brilliant job!

Can't wait to see more (I always jump to your blog as soon as I see any email notification of a new post!)!

Cheers

Marco

Thanks Marco! Same thing for your blog ;)/>

Great build Sebastijan! :thumbsup:/>/>

Spasibo Igor!

Edited by Sebastijan