OP-2E, 1/72 using the Revell kit

After having done representatives of the USMC (F-8E), the Army (M-551) and the USAF (T-28D and M-113) now the Navy will get their turn. I think this will be a rather unusual subject, since the model itself needs at least some modifications. I will turn a SP-2H Neptune into an OP-2E. Many good pictures can be seen on the VO-67 homepage: http://www.vo-67.org/vo67_opening.html

IMG_5771_zpszwlgqzc4.jpg

Since I planned to build this special aircraft already years ago, I had a Revell Neptune-kit in stash as well as some self-made decals I had printed for the tail-no. and markings.

At first I let go with my trusty Bosch to cut out the additional port window and the MAD-tail:

IMG_5772_zpsqcvohzok.jpg

Unfortunaly my cutting wheel broke during this operation, but I quickly discovered that a small scissor worked even better for this job.

Here we can see one half already "modified" while the other still has the lumps and bumps I don´t need:

IMG_5774_zpsz44uqd5o.jpg

And this is the current status, showing the typical profile of the OP-2E:

IMG_5775_zpsu5idjymf.jpg

MAD-tail removed, later some chaff-launchers and RWRs will find their new home here:

IMG_5776_zps0ilfsjtu.jpg

And I will have to shut this big hole where the radar has been removed:

IMG_5777_zps5svhj3lz.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Hajo, you're off to a great start! Good job on the radome and MAD boom removal. I'll be following you're lead so make good notes! Cheers.

On a related note, sadly, I just came from the funeral of my wife's uncle who I mentioned in a previous post crewed aboard OP-2Es with VO-67. He was a PO3 flight engineer/gunner with them and went on to serve 30 years in the Navy, retiring as a Chief Warrent Officer 4. On top of that he was a fantastically nice guy who shared with me many of the stories of VO-67 and was a kind gentle giant of a man to my wife all through both her life and my daughter. It was hard to see them so sad.

Jake_zpsbvlb83ew.jpg

ADJ3 "Jake" Jacobs

pg3%20-%20Copy_zpsjfze4h3p.jpg

The boys of Crew 10

Some progress. I added some fuselage-structure around the aft window openings. Don´t know if much will be seen later on, but since I will leave the clear parts off and install M60s and gunners instead there is a good chance it´s visible:

IMG_5778_zpsxmyrlvci.jpg

I glued in the cockpit section. There is very much room for improvement, as the kit comes with nearly no details.

IMG_5779_zpsvxwy4ia0.jpg

However, I will keep it simple here and only add the steering columns.

HAJO

Starport-side M60-gunner:

4c898aad-b0d2-4b95-a337-cc2480b0e543_zpszepklvbt.jpg

IMG_5780_zpswdguzq40.jpg

I used a figure of the old Esci/Italeri Ground Crew Set for the gunner and had to cut his feet off to make him fit into the cabin. The M60 is a spare of the Italeri M113, the ammo-box is selfmade.

IMG_5783_zpsacler70h.jpg

IMG_5784_zpsgmqkdh4s.jpg

Will do exactly the same on the port-side.

HAJO

Interesting effort so far.

So what are you going to do about the whole different canopy and windscreen? And the flight deck you just installed will be too high if you try to make it correct for a P-2V-5/P-2E. Falcon conversions did do the correct canopy windscreen for a P-2E.

Thank you for the comments! And "nfiler" made me think and check: Yes, the flight deck is indeed too high! I tried to remove it, but the deck as well as the seats have been glued on too good - wasn´t able to release them. So I just shortened the seats and will make the pilots sit low and hopefully will be able to cram them all under the new canopy.

Some more pictures. I added the second gunner:

IMG_5785_zpsrqskg1bj.jpg

IMG_5787_zpsohcrespo.jpg

And the fuselage has been closed, wings just stuck on:

IMG_5803_zpsklr83iaw.jpg

HAJO

Sorry for letting you guys wait for the next update, here it is.

I closed the big hole where the radar was, using styrene:

IMG_5804_zpsnngi8guj.jpg

Then I used putty to make it smooth - Usually I don´t use putty when modelbuilding, but in this case there was no way to keep that policy. ;)

IMG_5808_zpspb3azetr.jpg

IMG_5811_zpsvcy6ufe8.jpg

I also closed the hole where the MAD-tail had been removed:

IMG_5807_zpsgbyx2hju.jpg

And added some details like chaff-/flare-launchers:

IMG_5812_zpskvoknvre.jpg

At the moment I´m working on the BDA-camera that sits below the tail, I have to scratch that part completely.

HAJO

The BDA-camera wa smy last big scratch-work on this model - at least I hope so!

IMG_5814_zpsdlqsi7n5.jpg

IMG_5816_zps763angum.jpg

IMG_5818_zpsffjnsvyr.jpg

Oh, I forgot: More major scratch-work will be necessary for the pylons and the ejektor racks... and the drop-sensors... I think the nose-radar will be quite simple in comparison.

I also added something that may look like the Norden bomb-sight to the spotter/bombardier:

IMG_5815_zpsfacrtehw.jpg

HAJO

Next part has been done: The nose radar!

My first try went bad - I was using the radar of a RN Seaking and filled it with putty to make sure that if I sand I won´t sand a hole into the plastic...:

IMG_5822_zps5cqq3qbr.jpg

Well, the thinner in the putty made the holes themself. I do think I made the same mistake about 15 years ago when I built the AP-2H (my first scratch-build-project then!), using a Tornado aux fuel tank for the radar. Thank god I had spares then and now.

Now the OP-2E looks like this:

IMG_5824_zpslwcciowd.jpg

HAJO

Nose radar and gear fully installed!

IMG_5825_zpsih3tjkxr.jpg

IMG_5826_zpstdumzzgx.jpg

IMG_5831_zpsxzhfdmtk.jpg

And also attached the engines (prop & jet) and the wing pylons:

IMG_5832_zpshvka3zzb.jpg

I already painted the underside with Revells 371 an dwill show pictures later. Hopefully I will find some time over the christmas days to add the new canopy, although I also have to work on the pilots first and scratch some steering columns.

HAJO

I added a first coat of green colour, knowing that I´ll have to add another one after painting all the small things and adding the new canopy.

IMG_5835_zpsabanyxe3.jpg

I used a lightened up version of Revells 65 and think the colour is quite matching the original bird.

IMG_5833_zpshfcqpacr.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone!

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

I´m pretty close to the finish-line, I´d say! First, I was able to scratch the MERs for the sensors. I simply used a "normal" MER and cut out the middle section to shorten it. Then I added these small pylons. It took me a while to get a good idea what to use for these, but then it struck me, and I dug out a rotorblade (Seaking) from my spares box.

IMG_5853_zpsfqa6hfo7.jpg

And the aircraft itself is pretty much ready fo decalling! Just need to put some clear gloss on it.

IMG_5854_zpsojhws9i8.jpg

IMG_5855_zpskj0hkkrl.jpg

HAJO

First, I was able to scratch the MERs for the sensors. I simply used a "normal" MER and cut out the middle section to shorten it. Then I added these small pylons. It took me a while to get a good idea what to use for these, but then it struck me, and I dug out a rotorblade (Seaking) from my spares box.

IMG_5853_zpsfqa6hfo7.jpg

Fantastic! They look just like the things that can be seen in pictures of VO-67's armament. :thumbsup:

Your result is inspiring: I may want to scratchbuild some MBR's (multiple bomb rack, predecessor to the MER) at some time in the future.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan, you are welcome!

Decals are on:

IMG_5860_zps6oyrfe4k.jpg

I realized during the applicatio phase that I partially screwed up the design. The tail-code-markings are too small, while the patch on the nose is too big. I was wondering a while why the tail-codes were too small - I think it´s a result of another set of decals I designed for a DP-2E, which indeed had smaller markings: http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/lippke/DP-2E/DPLinks2.jpg

Then came clear coat on the decals. I´m very pleased with the result here, since it´s quite common for me to screw up this final coat of matt clear. Very often I have grey streaks, which is a common problem when brushpainting matt clear. Since I thinned it a lot with Revells Thinner, I was lucky to get a smooth coating.

IMG_5861_zpsrwehrhb3.jpg

And without flash:

IMG_5862_zpsibdg2jpn.jpg

Toned down national insignias:

IMG_5865_zpszpxocfeh.jpg

And with exhaust stains applied:

IMG_5866_zpsc6iughxg.jpg

IMG_5867_zpsv8klrqkr.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

I need some ideas. I´m working on the drop sensors but don´t have a really striking idea yet.

They look like this:

vo67p2_01_01nov2003.jpg

Now I was trying to model them using nails. Of course I had to shorten them, but I´m still not convinced that this is the best idea:

IMG_5871_zps9qooghx6.jpg

Do you guys have an idea?

HAJO