AGM-62 Walleye dropped by the F/A-18 ?

Hallo

Knows someone which Hornet Squadrons dropped this heavy weapon 1991?

Was the Hornet able to carry 1 or 2 of these? Was the weapon stil painted white with some colored stripes or got it low viz camo?

Thanks for any help

Regards

Peter

In November 1990, fleet use of the AWW-12A data link pod was approved. By December 1990, a more definitive clearance was issued in anticipation of Desert Storm which cleared the F/A-18 for employment of all existing Walleye versions, including the Walleye I Mk 1, Walleye I ER/DL Mks 21, 29, and 34, Walleye II Mk 5, Walleye II ER/DL Mks 23, 30, and 37, as well as the PGW Mks 4, 27, and 38. Clearances for the Walleye I ER/DL Mk 29, Walleye II ER/DL Mks 30 and 37, and the Mk 38 PGW were delayed pending completion of development, so they probably weren’t used during Desert Storm. The same held true for the AN/AWW-13 ADLP.

Release sequence for Walleye I series weapons was station 8, then 2. Walleye II series weapons were only employed from station 8, with no more than an empty pylon on station 7; on the left wing, a fuel tank had to be carried on station 3, while any store certified for carriage adjacent to a fuel tank could be carried on station 2. The AN/AAW-9, 9A, 9B, and 12A data-link pods could only be operated on the centerline station (although they could be transported on the wing pylons).

The only Hornet unit I know for sure that employed Walleye during ODS was VFA-151 although others may have as well. A-7Es probably dropped the majority of the 137 weapons employed. The Walleye was a series of components, so you could have a 27875 white warhead center section and wings, but 36375 gray guidance and control (front and back sections). There was a 3" wide yellow band at the front of the warhead. The Mk 34 and Mk 37 were 36375 gray, the earlier variants were white. I think the AN/AWW-12As were white as well.

All of these weapons and pods are available from DACO in 1:48 scale.