1:48 Grumman Lunar Module

Starting this thread to prevent confusion in my 1/32 build, be able to practice foiling, and get a reasonably detailed CSM-LM stack onto my work desk fairly quickly (I hope). I would've settled for the pre-built Dragon but I couldn't find one anywhere -- one actually sat in the shelves of my LHS for many years, without anyone paying attention to it (myself included) but as luck would have it someone bought it ahead of me just a day before I decided to get it. I see some sites saying it'll be released again in 2016. But after re-reading Pete's build and getting my hands on Tomasz' upgrade sets and Rick's decals from culttvman I decided to give it a whirl and build the kit instead. I'll try my best to get a good effect on the descent stage mylar covers (although I don't really expect to succeed in that regard as none of my experiments have so far worked.

V2SElxp.jpg

I didn't care about the areas that will be hidden from view thus the messy-looking window sandwich. For the other window assembly I tried to be more careful.

Rep7YiH.jpg

DI9D1mC.jpg

1ETUHrM.jpg

LgBoKZ7.jpg

UfxZ1eX.jpg

MDwGI3H.jpg

X8dQCeP.jpg

4ax9uyg.jpg

GzlGKPE.jpg

eApnA0s.jpg

hL7EbiQ.jpg

ztUFRz8.jpg

I'd recommend the silkscreen windows to anyone. It's the best out there and it's issued in no other scale.

6G53G4n.jpg

Used Vincent's blueprint to mark the location of the rendezvous window.

GrsSv0g.jpg

Although the blueprint is actually a top view so it shouldn't really be wrapped around the hull.

W3J1wAn.jpg

The resin docking window was excellent, although a bit too thick (I think) and would sink the targeting grid in too deep?

9EDCeuP.jpg

The hole slants diagonally on the resin part. I was thinking about modding it but seeing as how it's so small and I might not be able to make one as smooth I decided to just thin the part a bit.

QALqEND.jpg

PM3opFG.jpg

Made a separate piece for the red section to make it easier to paint.

IRgFwMD.jpg

You never cease to amaze me with your attention to detail and ... your fine craftsmanship, to get the item to look right ... well, better than right!

And using Vincent's plan as a template for the rendezvous window ... brilliant!

So, you cut out the styrene window frame to use as a backer for another layer of window 'glass'. Is that right? Wow ... just wow.

And that conical file ... I gotta get me one of those!!

Can't wait to see this one completed ... :rolleyes::whistle:

Thanx for posting these pix here CJ :thumbsup:

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks!

The acetate docking window had this white liner around it that I needed to remove. I tried to use the supplied decal at first, selecting just the grid area, but it didn't end up so smooth or clear so I went back to the silksreen one. To remove the white liner, I tried rubbing it off with a piece of cloth and some acetone -- no good. Also tried other liquids like alcohol and thinner without success -- the print seems impervious to any of the solvents on my workbench. In the end I had to use the edge of a razor blade to scrape it off -- very carefully so as not to scratch the "glass" too much.

L8gXKq9.jpg

KpqTXUF.jpg

lcsGdUy.jpg

K4FnodZ.jpg

GL37VqS.jpg

I feel so relieved to get over the observation window and docking window hurdles. Next up --- creating the rectangular docking window opening on the cockpit hull. Have to create it bigger than in the blueprint to allow for the edge of the resin part. Then the docking window assembly would be fitted from inside, with the outer edge sitting flush to the surface of the hull.