Afterburner Decals Reborn as Bullseye Model Aviation?

Have to say. This debate never ends. I used to demand and build in 1/72. But the aftermarket stuff just was not there. So now I build in MOSTLY 1/48.

When I find something I want to build in another scale, I build it. Life goes on. Can't expect a company to lose money just so you get want you want.

Had something in the same boat happen to me today. A potential customer wanted an easy kit built as he knows I don't charge too much. I told him my standard. He pays for the kit and buys certain paints and supplies, I supply what I might have. His bill at the store was 43 bucks. We wanted to give me $50 in total. 

No, I don't build to retire rich, but I also do not build at a loss. I can not spend "X" amount of time and receive only 7 bucks. Same for decal companies. They can not make a big batch of sheets and have them sit around for YEARS unsold. They produce products that move and create profit.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Mizar said:

this also happens when someone asks for 72nd scale.The demanding is here especially for Aggressor schemes,exotic schemes,whatever Tomcat lets you sleep at night minus those decommission schemes those plain'n'grey schemes or literally who ANG / AFRES idgaf of them anniversary schemes.They keep on feeding the wrong scale as always

I know Scott at Afterburner took a big hit when he produced a 1/72 decal sheet and hardly any sold. I don't blame him for not wanting to try again.

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I know Scott at Afterburner took a big hit when he produced a 1/72 decal sheet and hardly any sold. I don't blame him for not wanting to try again.

Not only did he take a big hit when he did it, he did it based of their best-selling 1/48 sheet, ever, and it flat didn't move.  I'm a 1/72 builder, and I barely do 1/72 stuff on our combo sheets because one bad sheet could seriously hurt my business.

Well not my business,I remember him complaining about a customer cause during an entire month only bought a single sheet and that was me and I bought one only because the sheet allowed you to build at least two aircrafts or maybe three and since the Eagle is kinda a meh plane I was served and hoping for more JSDAF aggressors sheets to pop from Hasegawa or whatever brand as those schemes were ages ahead than the average Nellis F-15.

Also during that period the F-14,F-16,F-5 and especially the A-4 Aggressors were more demanded cause Twobobs sets were sold out,people on ebay were placing crazy bids all because Italeri had a 2nd round with their F-5E(N),Fujimi had their A-4 line cheaply available,also Revell was having a blast with their F-16 line and Hasegawa was flooding the world with Tomcats.

Choosing a best seller instead of asking first was his/their error,if it wasn't for insults and whatever happened on their forums I was going to order two more sets

4 hours ago, Mizar said:

Well not my business,I remember him complaining about a customer cause during an entire month only bought a single sheet and that was me and I bought one only because the sheet allowed you to build at least two aircrafts or maybe three and since the Eagle is kinda a meh plane I was served and hoping for more JSDAF aggressors sheets to pop from Hasegawa or whatever brand as those schemes were ages ahead than the average Nellis F-15.

Also during that period the F-14,F-16,F-5 and especially the A-4 Aggressors were more demanded cause Twobobs sets were sold out,people on ebay were placing crazy bids all because Italeri had a 2nd round with their F-5E(N),Fujimi had their A-4 line cheaply available,also Revell was having a blast with their F-16 line and Hasegawa was flooding the world with Tomcats.

Choosing a best seller instead of asking first was his/their error,if it wasn't for insults and whatever happened on their forums I was going to order two more sets

I am having difficulty understanding you. Each paragraph you used is a single long sentence. 

What is your point?

Mark

4 hours ago, Mizar said:

Scott's decision making was sound in choosing his most popular sheet for scaling down, and drawing new art just for a "test" sheet makes zero sense as well. I think the biggest problem Afterburner had in selling their sheets was the fact that there wasn't any buzz about them or any buzz about the available kits at the time. All of the Afterburner fans were by that time 1/48 builders, so the loyal customers that any decal business counts on weren't there for the sheet to succeed.  Yes, the schemes are a bit "blah," but those were the current schemes at the time. The splinter jets that everyone's going gaga over nowadays simply didn't exist.

11 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

I am having difficulty understanding you. Each paragraph you used is a single long sentence. 

What is your point?

Mark

My point of view on their (and for me) wrong choice about picking the worst plane aka the F-15 print countless sheets with enough data for 2 or 3 airframes,hoping that people was going to buy it en masse,so for what I remember the biggest demand due kits being easily available was towards A-4,F-5,F-14,F-16 and maybe some F/A-18 due Twobobs sets being OOP and random Ebay madness.Also I don't like the F-15 and the demand was more for JSDAF aggressor F-15J/DJ than Nellis aggressors  

Then there it was a flamewar on their subforum here,I was planning to buy at least two more sheets just for the black stencils data, but I didn't cause I didn't like their behavior,and that's it.

As for now I don't care much of what they're planning to do,everything past WW2 is going to be an Ace Combat,Area88,Sonic Wings,Metal Slug etc etc related aircraft,I will print what I'm in the need for and snatch some single 1/72 sheets for stencils and whatever I don't feel to print or look for inside nail's decal catalogue

Well I'm just glad they're coming back and shawn's resin just might too! Need a ton of stuff! Here's to hoping he not only comes back but expands the range too!