Vale Ross Blackford

I'm greatly saddened to hear this. I only knew Ross thru this forum & had come to respect his guidance, insights, information & humour. He struck me as a man of definite opinions, most of which I concurred with, but he never came through as arrogant or rude in the expressing of same. I for my part will miss Ross from here as I'm missing Edgar Brooks from these forums. RIP Ross, my condolences to your family & friends.

Steve.

I never met Ross, but he once was generous to send me several walkaround photos for a scratchbuild I'm sorry to say still hasn't come to pass. It warms my heart and brings a smile to my face to see so many wonderful comments, but I still feel so sad.

Best wishes to his family, friends, and close ARCers. :crying2:

He'd have been humbled to see such a response.

Just goes to show, ARC members really are a part of a family, of sorts.

It was a sudden illness. Id spoken to him a few weeks prior, and everything was fine then.

Take care, all.

D

I attended Ross's funeral today. There was a very good crowd to see him off. He left through an Honour Guard comprising Australian Air League officers and cadets and an Honour Guard of St. John Ambulance officers and members. Ross was a committed and enthusiastic member of both organisations. I first met Ross in 1967 when we were ATC cadets at school. He later joined the RAAF and afterwards worked as an auto electrician, a NSW Ambulance Officer and lately as a security guard. He was a very intelligent man who loved aircraft and modelling. There was virtually nothing that bloke couldn't tell you about aircraft. I was informed that he contracted viral encephalitis and lapsed into a coma, from which he never recovered. Ross will be sadly missed by friends , family and the worldwide modelling community. Rest in peace mate.

I attended Ross's funeral today. There was a very good crowd to see him off. He left through an Honour Guard comprising Australian Air League officers and cadets and an Honour Guard of St. John Ambulance officers and members. Ross was a committed and enthusiastic member of both organisations. I first met Ross in 1967 when we were ATC cadets at school. He later joined the RAAF and afterwards worked as an auto electrician, a NSW Ambulance Officer and lately as a security guard. He was a very intelligent man who loved aircraft and modelling. There was virtually nothing that bloke couldn't tell you about aircraft. I was informed that he contracted viral encephalitis and lapsed into a coma, from which he never recovered. Ross will be sadly missed by friends , family and the worldwide modelling community. Rest in peace mate.

Thanks for the update. :salute:

A big shock to me also, and clearly unexpected. Though I never met Ross, we were always interested in each others builds on ARC and he helped me out a lot via ARC with info and reference material for many RAAF builds. I always looked forward to a Ross Blackford post popping up on here.

RIP Ross, you will be missed and remembered on this forum.

Well damn, that is not great news.

Though we had our differences from time to time, he was a genuine bloke.

RIP, Ross, thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Edited by madmike
  • 2 weeks later...

:( :(

Only just found out about this today...

Ross was a great guy. Had a few good conversations unrelated to anything forum-related with him via PM... and somehow he always managed to say something I needed to hear. I never had the privilege of meeting him in person, but I will certainly miss him.

My thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

Ian Burnley,

I think that is a fitting tribute to Ross to be sent to the silver skies with those who loved his passion for aviation and with an HONOUR GUARD from the A.A.L.Officers and his colleagues in the Ambulance service..

he deserved No less than that. :salute: :salute:

THANK YOU for the update on his funeral..

{AND Steve , The passing of Edgar Brooks, a knowledgeable man on Spitfires will be missed to..that was sudden to from his diagnosis to his passing.. MY MOM says all the best people get taken... REST IN PEACE both of them }.I think they are doing a Spitfire Group Build on LSP.