User opinions  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend the upgrade

• Yes
    • No!!!
    • Not sure (still evaluating)

I'm getting the offer to do the free upgrade to Windows 10, however past experience has taught me to let a new Windows OS hit the shelves for 6-8 months before doing the upgrade, as all the bugs haven't been cleared yet and problems still pop up and Microsoft fixes these glitches as the user(s) report them.

If you have done this free upgrade what is your opinion of it and how it functions versus previous OS's (i.e. Win 7, Win 8/8.1)

If you currently have Windows 8 I would definitely recommend it. Just upgraded my W8 laptop and, other than having to go in and change several file associations back to my preferences, it was absolutely hitch-free.

A word of advice, don't click the 'recommended settings' option during install. If you do WX will spend an eternity going thru every photo, video and music file and 'organizing' them into albums. Unless that's what you want just skip all that stuff.

I'm still holding out. This computer that I purchased almost a year ago has Windows 8, and I f*@!ing hate it! I've heard that Windows 10 is easier than 8, but Windows 10 makes it easier for Microsoft to collect data on you. Windows Media Center is not included in Windows 10, so you may need to get another media played installed.

Eventually, I may upgrade.....

I think it depends on your circumstances. I have several PCs, and I upgraded a few, only ones that had Windows 8, and for those, it is fine. I have a few Windows 7 systems and I have not upgraded them, and am not sure how soon I will.

Microsoft does collect more info in 10 than other versions, but most of it, in the core operating system, is just operational telemetry, nothing personal. A lot of the articles written about Microsoft colleting personal info blow it all out of proportion and misinterpret MS's privacy statements.

I found a few programs that I couldn't get working on Windows 10, like WebEx, so while most things work just fine, you'll want to check out your programs to be safe.

Upgrading is at the time, NOT for the ordinary user, such as those who just start and surf a bit.. checking mails and easy tasks..

You will have to be VERY patience, because many restarts, and confirms, is necessary before it will function freely..

I lost a few programs, that only was for xp and 7.. (photoediting)

This is my experience with the danish version..

But in the end i find it okay , but not super...

Jesper

I bought a new desktop computer earlier this year that came with Windows 8 as the OS and I hated every moment of it. Windows 8 was clearly made with the assumtion that everyone had a tablet computer or some other touch screen mobile device; it actually worked OK when a friend let me try it out on their tablet.

On a desktop with a non touch screen monitor, it's just a headache. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I could upgrade to Windows 10.

Definitely do it, if you have been offered a free upgrade go for it if you don't like it you can go back. But the main thing is to keep your OS (Whatever it is) as up to date as possible, don't use your admin account as your everyday account. I'm pretty adaptable so I had no problem from the upgrade from win 7 to win 10. There are a lot of new features that I really like!!

I'm still using Windows XP. :taunt:/>/>

So am I and LOVING it!

I run a very clean version of XP with just the programs and features "I" want rather than the crapload of subroutines the newer versions of windows make your computer run.

My friends can't believe how fast my computer is and how quickly webpages load, they just pop!

Me too! :woot.gif:/>

Only change I made, was to switch from IE to Google Chrome.

I also dumped Macafee AV and switched to AVG free, Super Anti-Spyware & Malwarebytes.

Exactly, if you are using XP ( Actually any version of Windows) getting rid of IE and adobe flash is a must.

Edited by pookie

So am I and LOVING it!

I run a very clean version of XP with just the programs and features "I" want rather than the crapload of subroutines the newer versions of windows make your computer run.

My friends can't believe how fast my computer is and how quickly webpages load, they just pop!

Exactly, if you are using XP ( Actually any version of Windows) getting rid of IE and adobe flash is a must.

I think this was on a previous post but can't recall what the consensus was - are their any downsides to getting rid of Adobe Flash? What about Shockwave? Is that still critical? FWIW, I'm running WIN7, using Firefox.

Sorry to go OT....

...Windows 10 makes it easier for Microsoft to collect data on you.
A word of advice, don't click the 'recommended settings' option during install.

You can "opt out" of most if not all of these data collections during install IF you do the configuration settings yourself and don't accept their recommended settings

Aaaand they can change that setting or ignore your opting out any time they want (and they will). Microsoft has changed their entire way of thinking with Windows 10. No longer is the product worth its price and the sales of the product are generating the revenue. Now, the product is your information. They will mass market and advertise directly to you based on your harvested information and trapped keys and scanned e-mails (it's what G-mail has been doing for a while now).

On top of that, they are planning on making Windows a subscription that needs yearly renewals (at cost -- not for free).

So, in short, HELL NO. Avoid Win10 as long as you can. They've shot themselves in the foot in terms of corporate world market saturation and hopefully they will realize their errors with a big financial loss in the years to come, and go back to just making a tight compact OS that does what people want and nothing more. Further, the entire POINT of me BUYING an OS (and yes I buy the proper OS for my needs) is to AVOID ad spam and nonsense like that. Win10 is designed around using that to generate revenue. HOW would I ever want to use it?

Well I'll tell you how: Forced obsolescence of previous windows variants. As much as you hate Win8, it could last many years. IF Microsoft supported it. Instead, the windows update will stop showing updates for it. No more bug fixes, service packs, security patches, etc. Same for Win7. Holding back code that's already done so that it can be included into Win10 instead of the current version (they did this rampantly for XP when Vista was coming down the pipe).

In short, start getting used to linux desktops. You will need to avoid the MS nonsense-BS-fest in the years to come.

I'm getting the offer to do the free upgrade to Windows 10, however past experience has taught me to let a new Windows OS hit the shelves for 6-8 months before doing the upgrade, as all the bugs haven't been cleared yet and problems still pop up and Microsoft fixes these glitches as the user(s) report them.

If you have done this free upgrade what is your opinion of it and how it functions versus previous OS's (i.e. Win 7, Win 8/8.1)

to be truthful, I wish I was still running Windows 7 or better yet Windows XP! I suffered thru Vista, ME and all sorts of other stupid Microsoft operating systems. I'd rather have Vista than 8 or 10!!!! I'll be buying an Apple this Spring

gary

I have Windows 7 on 2 computers and I have worked with Windows 8 on a computer I bought on behalf of my sister-in-law. As others have noted, Windows 8 is horrible and should be burned. I did find, however, a workaround "shell" that will make Windows 8 work very much like Windows XP, so if you're stuck with Windows 8, I highly recommend it. Please don't ask me where I got it because I forget, but if you Google this subject you will find many solutions. Mine was free.

I have heard many good things about Windows 10, so I think it's just a matter of time before I buy it, but only when I need to buy a new computer. Windows 7 works very well and I have no reason to change it.

Oh, and before I read any more posts about how great Apple is, please save it. File management on an Apple is clunky and not intuitive at all. For once I'd like to add a song or pic to my iphone or ipad without syncing to iTunes, which is a PITA.

Edited by chuck540z3

Well, I upgraded from win 8.1 and it was well worth it. Took a week to get rid of all the crapware, and install some other programs I needed. It's stable, runs on my HP envy 20 just fine. Auto updates does have its pro and cons.

Joel

Need to be careful with programs you already have installed and their compatibility with 10. I just got a notice from Quickbooks that the 2014 version I use for my business will not work with Windows 10. Glad I didn't try it out when I first started getting the free update notices.

Food for thought: When has Microsoft ever given a new operating system away for FREE? Makes you wonder about what is really going on...

On the advice of a buddy who works in the computer business I'm sticking with 7 as long as possible.

Kirk

I think there are very good business reasons Microsoft has for giving it away - the OS is becoming less of a money maker than it used to be, OSX is now free to all Mac owners so it sounds odd for MS to charge, and Microsoft wants to get everyone they can on the new version because it ties into their phone OS and other products (Office 365, OneDrive, etc.). There's just a lot of pressure to get people using Microsoft products and people are not willing to spend the money on the OS like they used to. With tablets and phones becoming the primary devices for most, it's just not worth it to people to spend that much on their PCs anymore.

My old computer went tango uniform a couple of weeks ago, fortunately Black Friday happened to show up so i got a new one that has Windows 10. It takes a bit getting used to it from the Vista i had been using but even though it came with two browsers, IE and Firefox, i find neither do that good of a job so i downloaded Chrome as it finds what i'm looking for. Another point, i downloaded an update today and it took over an hour for it to be done, not what i call blazing speed. Only time will tell how Win 10 does.

Jari

My old computer went tango uniform a couple of weeks ago, fortunately Black Friday happened to show up so i got a new one that has Windows 10. It takes a bit getting used to it from the Vista i had been using but even though it came with two browsers, IE and Firefox, i find neither do that good of a job so i downloaded Chrome as it finds what i'm looking for. Another point, i downloaded an update today and it took over an hour for it to be done, not what i call blazing speed. Only time will tell how Win 10 does.

Jari

Jari,

Window 10 comes with Edge as its main browser, but IE is still there if needed. I really like Edge as it's faster then IE. Since I use Google not Bing, there's no issue with finding what I'm looking for.

Joel

I love Windows 10. I had 7, which I also liked a lot, and 8, which I HATED... 8.1 was somewhat better, but still not as good as 7.

Upgrade to 10 was almost painless. One glitch was that two drivers (one for my wireless internet device, one for my display adapter) did not get installed. I had to ask my son (who had not yet upgraded) to download me a USB-stick copy of the driver for my internet connection (wireless). After I installed that, everything worked beautifully.

It is total hogwash that Win 10 will become a subscription service. Put away your tinfoil hats:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won%E2%80%99t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

This was the easiest windows upgrade I have done yet, and I have used every single version of windows since 3.1, except for that abortionate Windows ME.

Don't be afraid. It's fine (sincerely, not sarcastic).

ALF