User opinions  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend the upgrade

• Yes
    • No!!!
    • Not sure (still evaluating)

Jari,

Window 10 comes with Edge as its main browser, but IE is still there if needed. I really like Edge as it's faster then IE. Since I use Google not Bing, there's no issue with finding what I'm looking for.

Joel

You are right Joel it is Edge, i see IE is listed in the settings but it's not clickable, i'll try Google instead of Bing. Thanks.

edit: i don't see Google as an option in the Advanced Settings, just Bing is listed.

Jari

Edited by Finn

You are right Joel it is Edge, i see IE is listed in the settings but it's not clickable, i'll try Google instead of Bing. Thanks.

edit: i don't see Google as an option in the Advanced Settings, just Bing is listed.

Jari

Jari,

You have to manually type the Google in the search bar, then it's an option. EI works fine for me the few times I needed it as Edge wouldn't let me type in a online PDF. file

Joel

Jari,

Window 10 comes with Edge as its main browser, but IE is still there if needed. I really like Edge as it's faster then IE. Since I use Google not Bing, there's no issue with finding what I'm looking for.

Joel

interesting as I found Edge to be snail's pace slow, and I'm running a lot of ram. Then there's that stupid Cortana mess that comes and goes at will. Wish Microsoft would just go out of business and get it over with

gary

interesting as I found Edge to be snail's pace slow, and I'm running a lot of ram. Then there's that stupid Cortana mess that comes and goes at will. Wish Microsoft would just go out of business and get it over with

gary

I tried Cortana and just can't see any valid reason to use it, so I disabled it for now. I can get anything I need faster then "she" can.

why would anyone wish for Microsoft to go out of business? Not that it will ever happen.

Joel

Jari,

You have to manually type the Google in the search bar, then it's an option. EI works fine for me the few times I needed it as Edge wouldn't let me type in a online PDF. file

Joel

Now it's cooking with gas, thanks.

Jari

It is total hogwash that Win 10 will become a subscription service. Put away your tinfoil hats:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won%E2%80%99t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

ALF

It's not Windows 10 that is rumored to be a paid subscription, it's the upcoming Windows OS that is due to supplant it that will be a subscription service

Windows 10 replacement

Meanwhile, Windows systems support won't last forever......

It's not Windows 10 that is rumored to be a paid subscription, it's the upcoming Windows OS that is due to supplant it that will be a subscription service

Windows 10 replacement

Meanwhile, Windows systems support won't last forever......

Interesting info. Thanks for linking.I hate the subscription model for software. Had Adobe Creative Cloud for work purposes for a bit, but found it too expensive to justify after several months (even though the company was paying). Flushed it. Office 365 is grossly expensive by subscription. I bought (through a Microsoft Home Use Program with work) a full copy of Office 2013 Pro for $10 Canadian, plus a $10 CD backup copy. They really think I will pay $10 or more per MONTH for the same software with minor improvements to on-line collaboration? Forget it.

ALF

Hi guys

I certainly would upgrade to Windows 10 especially since it is still free for those running Windows 7 and 8. I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite C55B laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in August and aside of taking forever (about two hours to install) it went smoothly. I downloaded and installed the latest update for Windows 10 which is another three gigabyte download just like the Windows 10 upgrade itself yesterday and again aside of taking another couple of hours to install it went smoothly. I have used pretty much all Windows versions except for Vista and for what I use my computer for which is normal web browsing, e-mail, working with documents, images and webpages, they have all worked fine. About a month ago I got a "new" home computer to replace my old one which was running Windows XP and this one is running Windows 7. So far I really like it and it is aggravating that one is forced to abandon decent operating systems due to planned obsolescence. I was not able to use the most recent versions of many programs such as Acrobat Reader and WinZip with Windows XP simply because these could not run with the older operating system so that alone justifies upgrading to the most recent operating system and especially since it is for free until the middle of next year. I should point out that there are some decent free alternatives to expensive market leaders such as Office and Photoshop for those on a budget these being LibreOffice and GIMP. Neither is as polished but they get the job done and you can not argue about the price!

Horrido!

Leo

I've had nothing but PC's running various Microsoft Windows OS's since Windows 95. For the most part everyone was an improvement over the previous OS, with the exception of Vista seemingly being a step back from XP. Bloated, slow, and filled with issues. Honestly, I've finding Win 10 to be the best OS yet, and it's the only OS that I've ever gotten free for an existing PC.

With that being said, I have absolutely no intention of paying a monthly rental fee for any OS. While Win 10 will have no official support once Window hits the market, there is no reason to assume that you can't still run it for years to come. Heck, there are those that have posted that they still run XP (which we do at work). I've never rented other then an apartment which was upgraded to a house. So I don't intend to go down that path with my computer. There will always be alternatives out there to choose from.

Joel

The Windows OS subscription is most likely to be aimed at businesses, rather than home users.

Vince,

That would make more sense to a home computer type of guy whose been use to not having to pay anything other then his monthly Internet bill. Ok, my triple play cable bill is jus a mere $197/month with no premium packages! On the other hand I work for CVS Health on the store level, and all our in store computer systems run Windows XP. There are no plans that I'm aware of up a massive corp. upgrade. The larger the company, the longer they tend to keep both hardware and software in place.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Speaking of subscription services, I bought MS Office 2007 before Office went to a subscription base. I just set up a new W10 laptop that had pre-loaded options to subscribe to the latest Office, and I was able to load MSO-2007 on the laptop from my CD copy.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we have to worry about Windows going to a subscription model anytime soon. The articles that were linked to were written before Windows 10 even came out, and I think they may have misinterpreted Microsoft's statements about how Windows 10 would keep evolving, and there would be constant stream up updates, unlike previous versions that had set service packs, etc. I believe the term Microsoft used for that was "service" which I think is where people got the impression that it was a possible subscription model.

You can get Office with an annual subscription now, but you can still buy it outright too, so I don't think they will do away with that option for Windows in the near or mid-future.

Hi guys

My home computer which is running Windows 7 also has Office 2007 installed. Like Joel said it works for me and as far as I am concerned that is what counts. I use it for writing documents and occasionally spreadsheets so there is no need for anything more advanced or expensive. The laptop with Windows 10 has the 64-bit version of LibreOffice installed. It is basically compatible with Office in every way and so far I have never had any trouble importing or exporting Word or Excel files. The only let down is that the interface is pretty much stuck in the Office 2003 era without the ribbon but some people appear to prefer that. Microsoft will continue to offer security updates for Windows 7 until January 14, 2020 and for Windows 10 until October 14, 2025 and for me that is a very good reason to upgrade to the latest operating system while there is no cost involved.

Horrido!

Leo

Well, I just bit the bullet and upgraded my desktop from Win7 to 10 this afternoon. So far other than some differences in the graphic style here and there I haven't noticed much difference..honestly I was expecting a much bigger change, and a massive headache trying to figure out a new interface. However as suggested earlier in the thread I did the "custom" install, and turned off most of the built-in data mining "features" as well as most of the location-based stuff geared to mobile devices.

SN