Revell Sanptite Max TFA Millennium Falcon.

Hey all,

Quick question, does the Revell Snaptite Max The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon (here):

First_Order_Star_Wars_Millennium_Falcon_2__26253.1446046593.1280.1280_zpsq2vwtcsq.jpg

...have the older 3 landing gear legs seen in this kit?:

maxresdefault_zpsaehxy3ua.jpg

Or did Revell modify it with the 5 landing gear legs from Han and Chewie's "Empire Strikes Back" modification? I would guess that TFA Falcon would have 5 landing gear legs not the 3 found in the older Revell kit. I know the kit isn't the most accurate, but the workings are there at a far cheaper price then kits of a similar scale. With a repaint and some ingenuity I think the Revell kit can be made into a respectable model. I can't seem to find sprue shots to see if the new Revell TFA Falcon kit has 3 or 5 landing gear legs.

Anybody know?

Thanks and regards,

Don.

Answered my own question. I found this review on Youtube that was just posted yesterday:

Revell has indeed updated the lower hull and now have 5 landing gear legs (good for them IMHO). So, with the older Revell kit with 3 landing gear legs and this new one with 5 landing gear legs and that includes both the older circular dish and TFA rectangular dish a modeler can build a Falcon from ANH (early release) to ESB/ROTJ to TFA (new release)...with some work obviously ;) .

I may have to visit Hobby Lobby tomorrow and exercise my 40% coupon :lol: .

Cheers!

I picked one up this past weekend and honestly, I am less than thrilled with it. Yes, the new square dish is nice (and it is a nice touch keeping the round dish in it). But looking at the bottom plate with the five gear configuration and I want to smack the turkey who tooled this thing for Revell upside the head because they seemed to do a piss poor job at it. While the original Revell Falcon has its flaws, at least the top and bottom pieces were reasonably accurate in detailing. For this new bottom piece, it looks like the tool designer was looking at a fuzzy low res picture of the bottom of a Falcon as they messed up a lot of the basic shapes, details and proportions.

I suppose I might be more tolerant of the shape issues IF Revell had opted to sell this thing for around $40, given over 50% of the kit was already tooled. But for $80 retail, heck no. Even with a Hobby Lobby 40% coupon bringing it to just a hair over $51 bucks with tax, I still felt like I got ripped off. To top it all off, they don't give you any cockpit figures in this version either and they still give you the original interior piece (just painted black this time) with the holes for the figures still molded in the seats.

By comparison, the Level 1 Falcon kit is a much better offering for a Falcon from Revell. Sure it has some minor errors, but shape and proportion-wise it looks A LOT better (and even has proper height sidewalls).

...By comparison, the Level 1 Falcon kit is a much better offering for a Falcon from Revell. Sure it has some minor errors, but shape and proportion-wise it looks A LOT better (and even has proper height sidewalls).

Interesting insight and much appreciated. I already have the early release of the Revell Snaptite Falcon (3 legs) and wanted to do the modified version (5 legs) in the same scale...hence my original idea to grab TFA kit. I know the Revell Snaptite Falcon that I have (3 legs) needs some serious work, such as lowering the side walls by about 1/4" or so, plus some additional and enhanced details plus the obligatory new paint job. But I don't mind the work and the cost of the kit at under $40 was a big factor. The FM kit (and soon to be Revell reissue of it) is obviously at the top of the heap, but way out of my price range at $250+ USD. I guess I will have to rethink my plans on TFA Revell kit.

There's always MPC/AMT... :D

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Regards,

Don.

Edited by Don

So, I went to Hobby Lobby today and they had all of the Revell Star Wars kits in stock. I immediately saw the Falcon and it's price...$29.99! Same price as their smaller scale Falcon that lights up and makes sounds. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked if the price was correct. The guy at HL verified via paperwork that the regular price at HL was $29.99. So, with my 40% off coupon it came to $19 and change. In my opinion this is a good deal for a kit of this size and makes for a fun build to correct, add details to, and repaint. So, if you paid more then $29.99 without the HL %40 off coupon then you unfortunately were over charged :(. My kit:

IMG_20151205_141803708_zpsrtimdvnp.jpg

Kind of pumped to get into this :woot.gif:

Edited by Don