CD72049 - C-119 Flying Boxcar

CD72049 will be a new sheet for the Italeri C-119  kits. I have already drawn a few options, but there is still space for a few more and I am very interested in your suggestions for subjects.

Edited by KursadA

I think Thunderbirds was fairly nicely done by another company a while ago? I am primarily interested in covering cargo haulers as well as interesting AC-119 with nose art; but I will consider Thunderbirds after I do a bit more research on the subject.

Edited by KursadA

Warbird Decals has a sheet for the Thunderbird 119's, but it's currently without placement guides and on eBay only. I've got a copy, and it's pretty well done, printed by Scale Master. Haven't used it yet, though.

I'll ask my father about it more but my grandfather flew -119's during Korea. If I can get some more information off of him as far as units and what the a/c looked like, would you consider one or two of those as viable options?

• 3 months later...

Folks,

I would like to add markings for this C-119 ("Am. Can Co. Special") to the sheet.

I swear I had seen a much better image of the nose art (up close and in black & white) somewhere else online. It was not an enlarged section of this photo, it was a different photo altogether. However, I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have the photo I seem to remember?

C-119.jpg

Edited by KursadA
2 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Interesting scheme!

Ok, I'm going to throw it out there... eventually scale it down for the 1/144 Roden kit?

Yah, what Charlie D. asked.   Please and thanks from us braille scale builders.

I'll throw my vote in for both 1/72 & 1/144. But I thought that there is another thread here that talks about R4Q markings for USN & USMC, C-119K markings for Jordan & Ethiopia, and C-119L markings for ANG. I hope those are still planned.  R/ Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

Found it on page 4. 

C-119 72049

While my preference is for the USMC R4Q-2, ANG C-119Ls, and Asia Minor C-119K color schemes, I do like the AM-CAN-CO Special markings too.  This should be another killer sheet!  Or sheets!

Edited by Dutch

I will consider adding the Ethiopian or Jordan schemes to the 1/144 sheet if there is space. Not so sure about the 1/72 sheet - I would rather use the limited space with as many USAF/ANG schemes as I possibly can.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Btw, can I place a special request for a 1/72 C-119L of the 143rd SOG Rhode Island ANG? 

I have no references for it - I will try to include it if you can send me good photos.

Edited by KursadA

Kursad,

I just sent along some Rhode Island & West Virginia ANG photos, but to be honest, they are also included as links in the other thread I linked to above.  There is one interesting Aeromedical Evacuation photo of a Wyoming ANG C-119L.  I will see if I can find more.  Perhaps Rene Fracillon's Air National Guard [Aerograph 2] may have some.  Do you need the R4Q-2 USN/USMC photos also?

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

You were going to include an AFRES scheme too, correct?  If so, any chance of the AFRES C-119 that used to be at the Pate Museum west of Fort Worth?  This ship was flown to the museum from active duty so the markings are 100%, despite being weathered so badly.  Here are some photos from 7 - 8 years ago:

IwL7gQe.jpg

4IeV7zN.jpg

vIbF8mW.jpg

Z4zLu4w.jpg

This one would be easy I would think.  The "675" for the nose sides and rear clam shell door, the AFRES rectangles and fin badges, and the "12675" for the tail and that would be it!

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

• 9 months later...