MiG-25 nose correction.

I figured I should stop hijacking Rom's build thread. :D

Quick refresher, in case anyone's interested/missed his build thread:

The Kitty Hawk nose is hopelessly screwed. The cross sections are wrong, the details are wrong, it's a mix of different versions and the radome square, and more F-16 than MiG-25. Rom improved his kit by blending a replacement radome into the kit's fuselage and his fix spurred me into having a go at my own correction. Digitally.

If there's interest, I can list these on Shapeways. It won't be cheap though - you're probably looking at $30 - 40 as it's a fairly large print.

1_zpsvisbi2qs.jpg

My attempt is based on the AiV drawings, scaled to the kit so that I was at least working with similar proportions. It probably isn't 100% dead-on accurate, but I've got to work within the limitations of the existing kit - I can't completely fix the cross section, since the error flows through the entire forward fuselage, which I'm not particularly inclined to model.

As a bonus, though, it's relatively simple to depict different versions. Just change the panel lines and add/delete fairings as needed. The kit's nose is (supposed to be) a later version. Here's the P, as seen on Belenko's jet:

2_zpssdtwc9fn.jpg

(coloured in, just for giggles)

And the later, PDS. I also took the opportunity to correct the spotlight, which should be recessed on a flattened panel:

4_zpsnrc3lclf.jpg

Corrected profile: 5_zps7lrcqlka.jpg

And in plan view:

6_zpsaiiagwry.jpg

The shape of the kit's tracker fairing is way off, but there's a clear part that mounts on it for the tracker proper. I decided to compromise - improve the shape as much as possible while maintaining the geometry of the attachment point. It wouldn't be hard to file down the kit parts, if you're so inclined, but it also eliminates the need for those who'd rather not.

7_zps4y7lyu1o.jpg

I also added the prominent seam down the bottom of the radome.

Pretty pleased with the way it's shaping up, and I think it's close to being finished. The biggest thing left to do is to add the fasteners, but frankly, I'm debating just leaving them off. They'll be a fairly massive PITA to add, and it'd be a lot easier to just run a pounce wheel along the print when it's done.

Gorgeous work dude! I am completely impressed by the skills demonstrated by you and rom. I pawned my KH kit off as soon as I heard AMK was making one. I would totally bought your nose if that was not the case.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi all,

Since I already have the KH Mig-25 and I could not sell it, I decided to build it before the AMK comes alive.

One question, is the area where the fuselage meet the nose cone completely round?

Thanks in advance.

Juan

I don't see that happening.

indeed, it's not what i think that will happen also, based on the MiG-25 Poll topic... hence the "if" at the beginning of my sentence.

but, as long as Martin or Sio confirm their choice(s) (it's their's, or isn't?) i'll keep consider as if it wasn't decided yet.

and if AMK decide to do the recce family (+BM) only ...then, and only then, i'll consider buying the KH kit...only if i'm sure i can find something like Mofo have done! and then wouldn't hesitate to shell 30-40USD for such a big improvement. (it's in the range of what i've paid for the KomplektZip Su-24 front fuselage correction)

Edited by mingwin

One question, is the area where the fuselage meet the nose cone completely round?

yes it is.

On the real Mig-25 at least. At KH bureau the circle become "squarized" :)/>

Even *if* AMK only did the recce/bomber variants, it would probably be easier to turn one of them into an interceptor than turing the KH kit into a MiG-25.

:P/>

I'm currently trying:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=288917&st=0&p=2760037&hl=iraqi&fromsearch=1entry2760037

:whistle:/>

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, so I'll steal a bunch of pics from Gabor to answer. :)

The real plane, at the fuselage break just in front of the windscreen, is round. It's basically capsule shaped - semicircular on top and bottom, with parallel, straight sides. See: http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ya-gabor/media/MiG-25/skh29_zps2561a855.jpg.htm

The kit part, at the same fuselage break, is... not. It's got a flattened curve on the top and bottom, with noticeable 'corners' between the flat sides and curved top/bottom:

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ya-gabor/media/MiG-25/skh27_zps1f575d50.jpg.html?

My part matches the kit's shape. I did this to make it a drop-fit replacement - it should literally just plug on to the kit's forward fuselage; if I'd made it 'accurate', it would require a bunch of filling and sanding on the kit's forward fuselage. Really, to do it *properly*, I should probably build a replacement forward fuselage, too, but then, where do you draw the line? The intakes are wrong, so do I re-do those? The entire fuselage cross-section is off, and the tailplanes, and... pretty soon, I'm just building a new Foxbat. :(

If you mean the cross section at the nose/radome break...

Again, the kit part is way out. Gabor's pic shows that it's squared off, but it's actually pinched in a bit at the top. It really does have a D-shape, reminiscent of the F-16: http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ya-gabor/media/MiG-25/skh28_zps05268f61.jpg.html

On the real plane, it's round. The radome is a perfect circle. It's actually kind of astonishing that the kit is so crap, because it's much easier to draw a circle than whatever the hell the kit has. Additionally, the angle at the base is wrong. The real radome is conical. It has a perfectly flat bottom. KH's radome has a sloped bottom; it's cut at about a 3` angle, so that, if you mount it 'upside down', the tip will be raised about 3.5mm.

*My* part is accurate. The base of the radome is circular and flat (square to the radome centreline).

So basically, I've mated the inaccurate fuselage cross section to an accurate radome cross section. The radome is now correct, and the fuselage section between the windscreen and radome is more correct, but still a compromise between the proper shape and KH's inaccurate contours.

No! Recce and at least one Interceptor maybe another recce, bomber or interceptor, dont know yet ! :)/>

Whatever happens i think we are looking at three boxes at least.

You're killing me....and the Tomcats on top of that...might as well put all of my pay in your accounts, it would save time allround:P

Heh! :lol: See whut the deal was, MoFo? Such a skilled modeller ya've turned out to be, 'n' a week ago I just couldn't stand yer bawlin' 'bout the KH kit...

Awesome correction for the kit nose! :worship:

Y'know it real wasn't 'til GWH or AMK came along that we, modellers, started dreamin' 'bout gettin' almost-perfect scale model replicas of any particular aircraft, 'n' even so, those very same examples seldom go without some sort of criticism from our part.

I'm the kind of modeller who's happier either kitbashin' or resortin' to aftermarket corrections when buildin' my kits; these days I just couldn't conceive to build a model out of the box, just like that, 'n' perhaps I've already become accustomed to doin' so.

Every kit needs some sort of attention; I hereby bet ya that even AMK's Foxbats will (yeh, Martin, I bet ya too ;) ).

Modellin' is gettin' more 'n' more complex with each passin' month. There are lots more alternatives available to just everythin' rangin' from resin corrections/upgrades to photo-etch sets (that's not to mention 3-D printin'). Lots more references as well.

Of course, as complex we go in modellin,' we'll need to fork out a lot more quid too. This is why I understand that, if it's me who wants to build the perfect replica of a given aircraft, it's pointless to weep 'bout anythin' at all.

There have been times I came to either this or another modellin' forum 'n' I stumbled upon a thread which showed how modellers have tangled with any known flaws in kits I was just buildin.' This is one of the main reasons I come to modellin' forums; to learn. Aw, but bloke, I real suffer readin' modellers whine 'bout flaws on kits 'cause I know well there's no kit which's perfect 'n' there are no awful kits as long as there's a good modeller.

Really, to do it *properly*, I should probably build a replacement forward fuselage, too, but then, where do you draw the line?

Well? Ya should real do it, MoFo, as there're always people who will be willin' to buy those replacements. As I said; there are times when it's easy for a modeller to fix a flaw in a kit. For the other times, it's a blast to have someone who makes an aftermarket correction for it.

I consider yer nose correction to be quite enough to fix the forward fuselage on the KH Foxbat, but perhaps modellers would wish ya went even further 'n' did the whole forward fuselage. It's up to ye.

The intakes are wrong. The entire fuselage cross-section is off, and the tailplanes

Oh? :blink: Ne'er caught up on these flaws in the KH kit. Mind elaboratin' on it?

Awesome work, bloke! Keep it up.

Cheers,

Unc²