Hi guys!!

This last Sunday 29th, the honorable Mirages of the Argentinian Air Force where retired from service after 43 years. For the ocassion aircrafts where painted with special schemes... Sadly I couldn´t go :( :( ..

Check this thread LINK to see some pics.

Cheers!!

Andrés

An interesting detail note is that the fins on the 1300 litre wing tanks aren't parallel to the ground. The outer fins are pointed slightly upwards due the pylons being angled outwards. I never picked that up before. Nice pics.

Cheers,

Tom

Do you know with what a/c they are being replaced with?

Sadly none at this point, I know there were intentions to buy Mirages F-1C from Spain in the first place, then Kfirs from Israel, but all were canceled. There where a lot of whisperings about the possibilty of buying new FJ-17/FC-1 but nothing more than that.

Great photos! Maurico Macri will have his hands full that's for sure. Argentina really only has Israel offering refurbished Kfirs with ordnance or the Russia/China option. From what I've read it seems the UK has blocked most of their options.

...Argentina really only has Israel offering refurbished Kfirs with ordnance or the Russia/China option. From what I've read it seems the UK has blocked most of their options.

Fulcrum1 here you can read more about the problem that FAA is facing...

LINK

LINK

Regards

Sadly none at this point, I know there were intentions to buy Mirages F-1C from Spain in the first place, then Kfirs from Israel, but all were canceled. There where a lot of whisperings about the possibilty of buying new FJ-17/FC-1 but nothing more than that.

Argentina defaulted on their overseas loans first in 2001, then again in June of this year, so most nations either won't extend them credit, or they will charge very high interest rates.

There were stories that after Brazil choose the Gripen as their new fighter, Argentina wanted to work a out a trade deal with Brazil that would also allowed Argentina a stake in producing the aircraft. However, the UK provides about 30% of the systems that are to be used by the Brazilians, and they have an embargo against Argentina. They UK refuses to allow those systems to be installed in the Argentine aircraft, and finding replacement systems will cost more money and a lot of testing. Also, Brazil has to get approval from the Swedes to sell licensed Gripens to other customers, and the Swedes have already refused to sell Gripens to Argentina.