Iwata to paasche adapter

I have a paasche, Millenium, airbrush set up and bought my first iwata, a G3, with a standard 1/4 in male thread. will this work? http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/303949/A-188-Adapter%3A-Iwata/

Thanks, Dave

1/4 inch male thread???? Are you sure about that??? That's huge on an airbrush. I don't know of any Iwata airbrush that has a 1/4 male thread on the airbrush itself. Now if you are talking about the hose to compressor interface, yes, that's 1/4. As for the airbrush all Iwatas I know of are 1/8 inch male thread and won't work without an adapter. Grex makes the AD28 Grex/Iwata/Harder&Steenbeck to Paasche hose adapter. Spruebrothers has them for $3.58.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/86Sabre/Grex%20Airbrush/AD28_zpsd9205fec.jpg~original

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/grxad28.htm

1/4 inch male thread???? Are you sure about that??? That's huge on an airbrush. I don't know of any Iwata airbrush that has a 1/4 male thread on the airbrush itself. Now if you are talking about the hose to compressor interface, yes, that's 1/4. As for the airbrush all Iwatas I know of are 1/8 inch male thread and won't work without an adapter. Grex makes the AD28 Grex/Iwata/Harder&Steenbeck to Paasche hose adapter. Spruebrothers has them for $3.58.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/86Sabre/Grex%20Airbrush/AD28_zpsd9205fec.jpg~original

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/grxad28.htm

The G-series Iwata airbrushes are more like a full size paint gun in shape and size.

The G-series Iwata airbrushes are more like a full size paint gun in shape and size.

Yes, that's correct. Sorry, but the next question is why would someone want to hook that up to an airbrush hose? Do they have a shop compressor on the other end??? Anything less isn't going to push enough cfm. The Grex AC-1810 compressor will push .7 cfm with a .3mm needle but the Iwata at .6mm is pushing the limits of just about any hobby compressor on the market with a needle that big. Grex makes a .7mm needle option but we don't suggest it with a hobby compressor. Cfm starts to becomes an issue when working with needle sizes beyond .5mm.

I raise these questions per the poster's original question, will this work? Getting adapters to accommodate the hoses can be done but the real question is what is their compressor or air source?

Yes, that's correct. Sorry, but the next question is why would someone want to hook that up to an airbrush hose? Do they have a shop compressor on the other end??? Anything less isn't going to push enough cfm. The Grex AC-1810 compressor will push .7 cfm with a .3mm needle but the Iwata at .6mm is pushing the limits of just about any hobby compressor on the market with a needle that big. Grex makes a .7mm needle option but we don't suggest it with a hobby compressor. Cfm starts to becomes an issue when working with needle sizes beyond .5mm.

I raise these questions per the poster's original question, will this work? Getting adapters to accommodate the hoses can be done but the real question is what is their compressor or air source?

They (G3 & G5) work fine on most airbrush compressors, since they have quite low cfm consumption (>0.6cfm). The G6 and RG-3 are a bit more needy (about >1.0 cfm), but works OK, especially if you have a compressor with a little more power. That´s why I don't like to recommend smaller, single piston compressors like the Grex 1810 or smaller Iwata compressors (i.e. most of the smart jets.)

They (G3 & G5) work fine on most airbrush compressors, since they have quite low cfm consumption (>0.6cfm). The G6 and RG-3 are a bit more needy (about >1.0 cfm), but works OK, especially if you have a compressor with a little more power. That´s why I don't like to recommend smaller, single piston compressors like the Grex 1810 or smaller Iwata compressors (i.e. most of the smart jets.)

I guess another question is what is the original poster using the G series "spray gun" for? What scale model would they be priming or painting with that thing? I mean, seriously, he possibly paid $350 to $450 for the thing unless he got a deal from a friend or something. Honestly, unless he's painting a car fender he could've gotten similar performance for under $300.

I guess another question is what is the original poster using the G series "spray gun" for? What scale model would they be priming or painting with that thing? I mean, seriously, he possibly paid $350 to $450 for the thing unless he got a deal from a friend or something. Honestly, unless he's painting a car fender he could've gotten similar performance for under $300.

I doubt it. For painting large surfaces, like larger aircraft, large scale cars, 1/350 and so on, these airbrushes are great. And if you are willing to buy directly from japan, you can find the G-series airbrushes from about $170. I bought mine from Italy at about $200 including tax.

I can recommend Paul Budziks excellent video on large airbrushes and spray guns.

No thank you. Paul and I don't agree on much.

I don't agree with him on everything airbrush related either, but this one is one where I do. It's watchable even if you don't :D

To sum it up, I would say that if the original poster already got his G3, there's no need to sell it. Just buy the right hose, and be happy with an excellent airbrush for large surfaces. Do most of us need such an airbrush? Probably not, but if you are looking for the absolutely best results possible, it is a nice piece of equipment.

I don't agree with him on everything airbrush related either, but this one is one where I do. It's watchable even if you don't :D/>

To sum it up, I would say that if the original poster already got his G3, there's no need to sell it. Just buy the right hose, and be happy with an excellent airbrush for large surfaces. Do most of us need such an airbrush? Probably not, but if you are looking for the absolutely best results possible, it is a nice piece of equipment.

You understand,if you're not doing it all Paul's "way", you are wrong. His way is the only way in his mind. Besides, I'm kind of partial to my online videos. Some are product specific as they are "how to" videos on dis-assembly and assembly of airbrushes or cleaning. Others are focused on technique not the need for this product versus that product or my product is better than the other guy's product. It's just technique that's demonstrated and what works for me. I can do just about everything Paul preaches with one airbrush and adapting it as needed from one end of the spectrum to the other. I hope to have a video out soon to demonstrate that specifically.

You understand,if you're not doing it all Paul's "way", you are wrong. His way is the only way in his mind. Besides, I'm kind of partial to my online videos. Some are product specific as they are "how to" videos on dis-assembly and assembly of airbrushes or cleaning. Others are focused on technique not the need for this product versus that product or my product is better than the other guy's product. It's just technique that's demonstrated and what works for me. I can do just about everything Paul preaches with one airbrush and adapting it as needed from one end of the spectrum to the other. I hope to have a video out soon to demonstrate that specifically.

I'm looking forward to watching it.

I'm looking forward to watching it.

Video one is pretty basic, understanding paint and what to thin with. I'll spare you that one. I'm sure you are good with that. My techniques may differ from yours but they have served me well when it comes to model contests and judging. The last video for whatever reason is by far the most popular, close to 67,000 hits.

Grex Airbrush Model Painting Tutorial #2

Grex Airbrush Model Painting Tutorial #3

Grex Airbrush Model Painting Tutorial #4

Grex Airbrush Model Painting Tutorial #5

Grex Airbrush Model Painting Tutorial #6

Hey guys,

I'm surprise this thread exploded. First off I got the RG3, used, at a very good price. I also did some research and the guy on the website suggested it. http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/

Sounds like you got a good deal. Sorry about my questions regarding the thread size. I was thinking airbrush not spray gun. I interface with people that do think 1/8 is 1/4 but you are correct. Grex does have adapters that will trunk down to a Paasche hose from Quarter inch but it will require two adapters to accomplish it. I suspect the same would apply if Iwata accommodates similarly, I don't know if they do or not.

Rather than posting back and forth here (I don't get email notifications when someone responds to a post here), email me off line and I can give you the appropriate adapter information. In short it can be done and at minimal expense.

Bryant Dunbar

Grex Airbrush

bryant.dunbar@grexusa.com