Hitler's G4 - Out of box review of classic Marui kit

One facet of Nazi Germany I particularly fascinating is the way in which Hitler and his closest compatriots managed to take the concept of a “cult of personality” and weave it so totally into the fabric of the nation. In so many ways, the Nazi leader and his cronies became indistinguishable from the state itself. Let’s face it, Hitler, in so many ways, WAS the state.

One very physical symbol of this was Hitler’s penchant for spectacle, all the way down to his ride. The Mercedes-Benz G4/W31 is a perfect example of the brutish spectacle that Hitler made of almost everything. I’ve always wanted a model of that car, and am glad to see that Revell Germany makes a really nice new kit of it.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows that I generally eschew “nice new kits” and go for the “old and obscure” first. I didn’t even know if there WAS an older kit of the G4, but I figured I’d know it if I saw it. And, then I DID see it!

Check out my out of box review on the old Marui 1/35 G4. Sure, it’s not as nice as the Revell Germany kit, but it sure is a lot harder to find!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/marui-135-mercedes-benz-g4w31-oob/

mercedes-g4-oob-002.jpg?w=640

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Apparently, there are two versions, someone was telling me.

One has the motor (like this one) and the other doesn't. 

I'd like to get a less pristine example so I could get the figures for my 1/35 ICM G4; I want to do a Hitler parade car, not just have some dumb officers hanging around it. 

• 2 months later...

Such a crazy design in my humble opinion. Always makes me think "small man syndrome" whenever I see pictures of Hitler's 6-wheeled car. Having said that, it would make for a unique and somewhat macabre (?) Nazi party parade diorama. City street section, civilian crowd lining the sidewalk, soldiers intermixed holding roman type standards, Nazi flags hanging from upper floor windows... again it would be a dark diorama, but historical nonetheless.

Hitler-car.jpg

You always bring unique kits to the forums "Faust". Well done :thumbsup:!

Regards,

Don

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, there's a lot of "compensation" going on there... Can't really say for sure why though... oh, wait. :)

Nothing any more macabre about a Nazi diorama than one of Stalin, or Chairman Mao, though. Not the best club to be a member of, mind out. I still think Hitler had them all beat on cool wheels!

I really get charge out of finding and bringing weird stuff to the forums. I mean, I have SOME normal stuff, but I figure "If it was me, would I want to know about this weird thing?" and usually, the answer is "Heck yeah!" Thanks for noticing, and enjoying it! 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got the 1/35 and 1/72 ICMs.... I guess I'd better get around to getting this 1/24 one too! I love that it's in "real car" scale! 

God I love those cars. If I could own one "super expensive"  car in real life, it would be that. Not a Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari... not a Packard, Rolls or Bugatti... a G4. 

Beautiful and beastly all at once!