Hilarious! Story from USS Arizona survivor's youth

Wednesday evening I had the privilege of sitting next to my old friend and USS Arizona survivor Lauren Bruner for supper. He's almost 96 and I hang on almost every word he says since I know it won't be much longer.

Well, during supper I was asking him about life before the war, and he mentioned something about being arrested once.

"You were arrested?" I asked. Couldn't see it in this gentle-hearted man; some of the other survivors who were real hell-raiser in their day, sure. He nodded. "What for?" I asked.

"Running whisky," he said. Meaning the Prohibition days between the war when alcohol was illegal in the USA.

"How?" I asked, my mind picturing car chases with the Revenuers.

"I was working at a dairy. Was always told to take this milk to this guy, these creams to that guy...

Well, one day these guys showed up, wore hats and long trench coats, didn't look real friendly....I thought, 'Don't think I like the looks of those guys, but, okay'.

I was walking past them with some bottles of cream. One of them said to me, 'What do you have there?'

'Cream,' So the guy reaches down, takes off the cover and sniffs (makes a face)

'That's not cream, son!'

"So they took me down to the station and booked me. And I'm still on the books."

"Wow," I said...."How old were you?"

Lauren shrugged and said "Eight."

Yes, true story!!! :rofl:

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

LOL, that's too funny!

My wife's uncle who joined after the Pearl Harbor attacks was on board the USS Tennessee during the war and was discharged after the White Fleet trip around the world after the war ended. He to loves to tell me stories about his time in the Navy.

Robert