Dragon 1/72 Saturn V: Apollo 11

This is a kit I've been wanting to build for a long time. Finally, I was able to find one on U.S. soil. Now, I'm not going for a super detailed build but simply taking advantage of the awe factor that the size of this kit has. I am fully aware of the inaccuracies and I prob will correct just a few but overall, it will be OOB, with exception to the decals, I decided to use a more accurate after market option. Also, I was so tempted to insulate the F1 engines to add a bit of accuracy but I decided to show the engine detail. I will be displaying the model in launch ready so I will not worry about the details in between the stages. Here is a little progress I have made thus far.

20151202_182302_zpsa8qucyuq.jpg

20151202_182104_zpsviklefkh.jpg

20151201_161556_zpsscptevms.jpg

Edited by Boomstick

Yes those are the kit engines. Mostly complete, I'll probably use some solder to make the smaller lines.

Looking great so far! Is that the kit engine nozzles? They don't look that bad!

One day I hope to tackle this kit.

Totally cool, I too have been looking for this kit at decent price here in the US, but no luck so far. It seems like everyone in Japan purchased all of them :bandhead2: Anyway, l'll be following along for the ride :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I built this kit a couple of years ago ( it was a Xmas gift ) and you're right, it IS big ! I ordered a set of drawings for it in order to add quite a lot of detail, but it will look just fine OOB. I would recommend a set of decals from the culttvman website : These are made by Space model Systems and are excellent, with LOADs of detail, and will really make your Saturn V stand out.

I shall be following your build with great interest ! :)

If you build and paint the kit per instructions it will be "clocked" wrong - the various stages (details and markings) are not rotated correctly relative to each other. Highly recommend accurate reference drawings (e.g. David Weeks) and photographs.

I would recommend a set of decals from the culttvman website

I had my kit before the Cultman decals were released. I ordered decals, F-1 engines and S-IC fins from Apogee. They are 1/70 scale but were much more accurate and detailed than the kit-provided parts. Apogee also offers the conical fairings for the 1st stage but they require major reworking of the base of the 1st stage parts to correct the shape issues in the kit.

If you build and paint the kit per instructions it will be "clocked" wrong - the various stages (details and markings) are not rotated correctly relative to each other. Highly recommend accurate reference drawings (e.g. David Weeks) and photographs.

I had my kit before the Cultman decals were released. I ordered decals, F-1 engines and S-IC fins from Apogee. They are 1/70 scale but were much more accurate and detailed than the kit-provided parts. Apogee also offers the conical fairings for the 1st stage but they require major reworking of the base of the 1st stage parts to correct the shape issues in the kit.

I should have said that I used David Weeks' drawings . . . they were a tad expensive ( After adding postage to the UK ) but they were definitely worth it, as there's so much detail missing from the Dragon Saturn V. :)

Not much to update. I have a few client builds to concentrate on. The Ikea cabinet was indeed going to be used for this with the laucher graphic in the background. I also ordered the CultmanTV decals as well. I am not overly concerned about the inaccuracies on this kit because it is still an awesome display with them. I do need to get over to Ikea and pick up the display because I hear it has been discontinued. More to come soon.

Edited by Boomstick

I do need to get over to Ikea and pick up the display because I hear it has been discontinued. More to come soon.

There was some confusion about that about a year ago... the then-current SKU # was discontinued, but was replaced by a new SKU#. The only difference was that the Detolf unit is now packaged in two boxes vs one, making it much easier to load/unload.

edit: here is a link to the Detolf at Ikea. You can check stock/availability on that page. :thumbsup:

Edited by habu2