1/32 Revell Spitfire IIa

This is the new Revell kit completed with the Barracudacast resin update set for the oil cooler radiator and ailerons, I also used a Quickboost Spitfire seat to spruce up the interior, quickboost exhausts and EagleCals decals to do William Dunn's Eagle Squadron Mount. I tried to make the spinner look more appropriate but it still leaves something to be desired. I had fun with this build despite the kits known issues.

Forgive the red crowbar. It's personal taste......

IMG_0739_zpsmn98xiab.jpg

IMG_0740_zpsqnokagln.jpg

IMG_0743_zpsxhdndv7b.jpg

IMG_0747_zpsxr3ukbzc.jpg

IMG_0746_zpskzwepzco.jpg

Zach

Nice, any major issues on this kit?

Fit was ok but not great. Cockpit is not bad OOB but there is room for improvement. The issues arise with external details. The underwing oil cooler scoop is most similar to a Mk V than a Mk I or II. The airlerons are metal aka the Mk V rather the fabric ones on the Mk II. The radiator scoop could use some sprucing up. That said for less than $20 the barracuda resin set cures these problems with out too much drama. He wheels are cruddy but I let them be. The decals sight the kit are fine. I just wanted to do an Eagle Sq bird. The only other issue is he spinner and prop which is more that of a Mk V. I blunted the spinner with sanding stick and it is closer but the rot prop on the Mk II is waaaaay diferent from the kit prop and I had no good solution. Eagle Parts makes a replacement but everyone everywhere seem to be out of it.

I know these sound like a lot of problems and the kit has been extensively flamed as a result but honestly I paid less than $30 for the kit so putting some aftermarket $ into it was ok with me. If i were to do it again I would spring for a few more items to really dress it up.

I would say that for the modeler who wants a project this kit is a good starting canvas and you will get too nice result. If you want instant accuracy for $28 in a box this is not it. If you don't care abut accuracy and want a fairly simple fairly detaex fairly cheap large scale spitfire the your kit has arrived. If you want an uber kit - call tamiya.

Zach

Great job on your Spitfire. :thumbsup:

I to have collected all the aftermarket update sets and decals hoping to turn out a nice kit. I purchased the MDC Jablo Propeller and Blades and found it doesn't fit properly. I am thinking the resin shrunk causing it not to fit to the back plate. I plan on doing what you did and sand down the nose of the spinner to make it look better.

Robert