Blue Angels F/A-18E/Fs

• 2 weeks later...

I flew with a guy last week who is a test pilot for Hornets at Boeing KVQQ. They have begun converting Echo models to BA standards and will be test flying them soon. He also mentioned the Sept 2017 date is the "delivery" date - not the transition date. So my guess is come 2 JAN 2018, it's Super Bugs at El Centro.

Edited by Micro

How much do they modify them? Just remove gun and add smoke system?

They also install an inverted flight fuel system. From what I understand this is the biggest modification in terms of time. Then there are the cockpit mods which include the spring for the stick, annunciators and controls for the inverted fuel system, stopwatch, and ejection seat mods.

How do they not have inverted fuel systems already? Wouldn't that be standard stuff on fighter aircraft? I ask not to be a smart arse but as an honest question.

No worries. I also wondered the very same thing. Most fighters don't have dedicated "inverted" flight fuel systems because the jet is not intended to be flown inverted for extended periods of time. Jets like the F-18 can handle inverted flight with the standard systems for around 20-30 seconds (NATOPS dictates the actual times for each jet), but the Blues push that NATOPS limit. So, they incorporate a dedicated system to stay safe. That said, even the modified inverted fuel system only adds 10 seconds to their NATOPS limit.

In this video you can see the annumciators for the system just to the right of the HUD. You'll notice that as he goes inverted for the Double Farvel, the 2 red lights illuminate. If that clip went a little longer, you'd see the 3rd set of lights come on, telling the pilot it's time to roll out.

So it does have a problem with its inverted flight tanks... :whistle:...

Sorry, couldn't resist the "Top Gun" reference.

Edited by Don

Ignore it; it's a RickRoll - i.e. not a video of the Blue Angels. The uploader (Thanks Micro - the early 2000s called and wants its meme back!) has removed it since, anyway.

In case you don't know what a RickRoll is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

Sorry. :unsure: That's what happens when I have one too many and start surfing the forums. :bandhead2:

Sorry. :unsure:/> That's what happens when I have one too many and start surfing the forums. :bandhead2:/>

For what it's worth mate, I laughed myself silly when I saw it; I haven't been Rickrolled in ages! It's a dying art... B)