NEW Hobby Boss PLA J-11B Flanker..

Hopefully the Su-27 release isn't too far off. It doesn't look spectacular, but will probably be a quite needed alternative to the Academy kit if the price is right. The decals look pretty poor, though, but maybe it's just a flashy photo or something.

Edited by ijozic

Hopefully the Su-27 release isn't too far off. It doesn't look spectacular, but will probably be a quite needed alternative to the Academy kit if the price is right. The decals look pretty poor, though, but maybe it's just a flashy photo or something.

I'm not optimistic.

Looks like a vanilla Su-27 can be built from the J-11?

Just a mater or removing the static strips from the nose.

can anyone confirm?

Biggest differences are pylons and missiles. Also the engine for some, but model has both WS-10 and AL-31 engines, so that is covered.

Edited by foxmulder_ms

Looks like WS-10 AND AL-31 nozzles are included - plus two instrument panels with raised detail - but only decals for J-11.

A couple of J-11 specific RWR 'bumps' on the tailcone that you would need to remove.

All you need for a vanilla Su-27 are the wingtip launch rails, weapons and a decal sheet.

Do-able - but why not wait??

Ken

PS - Just noticed the different Su-27UB-style airbrake.

Edited by Flankerman

I know it makes no difference to a lot of people (which is perfectly fine), but the fact that they got something so utterly basic wrong as the angle of the main gear wells totally wrecks it for me. If you don't agree, that's great. It bugs me, because if they can get something that basic wrong, what else is wrong with it?

• 3 weeks later...

What is the opinion on canopy shape of singleseater 1/72 kit, It is the same on 48?

I did saw the same mistakes (pinched windscreen,to narrow canopy,incorrect canopy cowling etc) from Su-27UB canopy transferred to Su-27UB test shot in 48.

P

Edited by Petarvu

What is the opinion on canopy shape of singleseater 1/72 kit, It is the same on 48?

I did saw the same mistakes (pinched windscreen,to narrow canopy,incorrect canopy cowling etc) from Su-27UB canopy transferred to Su-27UB test shot in 48.

P

If the instruction sheets are an indication (in Trump/HB it is often/always(?) the case) then yes looks like the canopy is still the somehow oversized one as in the 1/72 Su-27 family kits. Which isn't shocking as every mistake in those kits seems to be replicated in the 48 scale kit. As always, they clicked on the magic "48 scale button" and didnt do a jack about fixing any of the known issues.

If they just did absolutely minimal effort to improve the kit both detail and accuracy wise vs their 72 ones it really would have been a real winner. As of now it is no doubt more accurate than the old Academy kit, which is hardly an accomplishment, but could have just been extra good with minimal effort from HB's side.

If the instruction sheets are an indication (in Trump/HB it is often/always(?) the case) then yes looks like the canopy is still the somehow oversized one as in the 1/72 Su-27 family kits. Which isn't shocking as every mistake in those kits seems to be replicated in the 48 scale kit. As always, they clicked on the magic "48 scale button" and didnt do a jack about fixing any of the known issues.

If they just did absolutely minimal effort to improve the kit both detail and accuracy wise vs their 72 ones it really would have been a real winner. As of now it is no doubt more accurate than the old Academy kit, which is hardly an accomplishment, but could have just been extra good with minimal effort from HB's side.

This is not a fair assessment at all. Obviously, I do not have the kit yet but just looking at its pictures, you can tell they did not just upscale their 1/72 model. For starters, it has many more parts and parts distribution is completely different. Moreover, and more importantly, the single biggest mistake in their 1/72 offering, weird curvy line on the upper fuselage on the lerx area is fixed and do not exist in 1/48.

I wonder why they always do this? The effort to make it better would be so little...a liittle bit more research.

At some point someone just decides "It's good enough! We won't spend another cent on this!"

They do, it is a myth that they do not.

Actually I remember, Trumpeter being accused of "stealing" Zactoman's upgrade in their 1/32 Flanker etc... :D