Revell-Germany 1/48 Spitfire Mk. II? New or Old?

1970s mold. As far as I'm concerned the 2014 Airfix 1/48 Spit I/II makes all others into airbrush technique practice mules at best. Even Tamiya (which has funky curved wings).

Airfix completely and totally nailed the shape and proportions of the Spitfire. Their kit is a joy to behold.

Huh.... that's too bad. Releasing the super old kit with nice new box art seems a total waste of time, considering the presence of the Airfix kit.

Had been hoping this was a brand new kit. Not that a new kit is NEEDED of this particular version per se, but I just always love seeing what's new and different and maybe a tiny bit better in new kits.

Perhaps if Eduard expanded their 1/48 Spitfire range. A Mk I/II with the accuracy of Airfix, the fine surface detail of Eduard's Mk IX, and all the usual photoetch, painting masks, and plentiful decal options that Eduard always puts in their premium kits. That could be better.

But in the meantime, quite happy with the Airfix stuff.

I like Airfix's Mk.I much better than the Eduard kits. The Eduard detail might look okay on a 1/32 kit, but IMHO it's over-done for 1/48 even under the mythical "coat of primer and paint" (which is microns thick..)

1970s mold. As far as I'm concerned the 2014 Airfix 1/48 Spit I/II makes all others into airbrush technique practice mules at best. Even Tamiya (which has funky curved wings).

Airfix completely and totally nailed the shape and proportions of the Spitfire. Their kit is a joy to behold.

The Tamiya has a load more issues than the wing shape, it's too short, and fat. It's fixable if you can be bothered.

here's a side by side comparison plus fixes

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/page-3

The Airfix is overall excellent, though the undercarriage fixing is weak.

Perhaps if Eduard expanded their 1/48 Spitfire range. A Mk I/II with the accuracy of Airfix, the fine surface detail of Eduard's Mk IX, and all the usual photoetch, painting masks, and plentiful decal options that Eduard always puts in their premium kits. That could be better.

But in the meantime, quite happy with the Airfix stuff.

the surface detail on Eduard is very neat, the rivets are not. ON most of the wings they are OK, but the leading edges on Spitfires flush riveted but are thicker gauge metal, where the rivets are filled and then rubbed down, and are basically invisible on the real thing, the rest of the wing is flush riveted, but the thinner skinning 'dishes' round the riveting. The Eduard has the same riveting all over the wing.

The fuselage is a mix of flush and mushroom head.

and they have the 'oviod' wheel well problem.

Spitfire wheel wells are circular, but the walls slope back.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/supermarine_spitfire_mk1a_p9444/images/supermarine_spitfire_mk1a_p9444_03_of_37.jpg

he ovoid well is a problem in many a Spitfire kit, including other Airfix 1/48th ones....

HTH