F-4D Phantom Loadout for MigCAP mission over Vietnam

Gents,

I'm looking for info as to what the typical MigCAP loadout would be for an F-4D during the Vietnam War in July-August of 1972 with the 555th TFS. Would it have mattered if using Combat Tree or not?

TIA

Brad

I don't think they used the center tank that much except for long distance ferry flights. There normally tankers available. It wasn't unusual for me to see at least 3-5, sometimes more tankers launch after the B-52s got off. F-4s would normally only land at our base for unspecified reasons, and even then not very often.

I would think the center line station would probably carry a Vulcan when possible.

ECM pods were often carried under the AIM9s. That way they could carry 8 missiles instead of 6 or 7.

scan0343.jpg

The flight leads were typically in Combat Tree equipped aircraft with a 4 x 4 load (AIM-7E-2 and AIM-9E), while the wingmen had the leftovers. IIRC Steve Ritchie's wingman carried something like a 2 x 2 configuration (AIM-7E-2 and AIM-4D) on Ritchie's first kill. Of course that was in May of 72.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Please note the picture with the Pave knife pod is reversed. They were always carried on the left inner starion.

A careful study of the camouflage pattern on the F-4 also serves to verify this. The pod's nose tip stencils can now be identified as being "NO STEP" and "CAUTION".

scan0343%20corrected.jpg

Best regards,

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

During the summer of -72, the usual loadout became 4xAIM-7E2 + 4xAIM-9J.

Earlier the loadout was 4xAIM-7E and 4+AIM-9E, and prior to that 4x-AIM-7E and 4xAIM-4's.

There were overlaps however, so you would probably see AIM-9J's and -E's during the same time period within the same unit, although not on the same fighter.

You can also add the SUU16/23 gun pod into the mix too :)

Found a couple of net pics of 555 TFS aircraft with air-to-air ordnance.

Caption for this one says: "F-4D - 66-7468 Then 1973 555thTFS 432ndTRW Udorn launching out on a MIG CAP mission, Thailand 1973 - photo James Wright"

F-4D%20-%2066-7468%20-%20launching%20out%20on%20a%20MIG%20Cap%20mission%20555TFS%20432TRW%20Udorn%20Thailand%201973.jpg

Chuck DeBellevue posing for a publicity shot:

F-4D%20-%2011990397_576170729187465_2407269796552833610_n.jpg

HTH,

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Gents,

I'm looking for info as to what the typical MigCAP loadout would be for an F-4D during the Vietnam War in July-August of 1972 with the 555th TFS. Would it have mattered if using Combat Tree or not?

TIA

Brad

Should not have mattered. BTW, short of checking the serial number, the only way to tell if an F-4D was equipped with Combat Tree (a very useful bit of kit) was to look for a small warning label noting that the aircraft was equipped with a destruct charge that would destroy the Combat Tree equip if the crew ejected.

On a related note, were late war F-4E's equipped with this device or just the D-models?

Should not have mattered. BTW, short of checking the serial number, the only way to tell if an F-4D was equipped with Combat Tree (a very useful bit of kit) was to look for a small warning label noting that the aircraft was equipped with a destruct charge that would destroy the Combat Tree equip if the crew ejected.

You can see the red warning label on the photo of 66-7648 above.

On a related note, were late war F-4E's equipped with this device or just the D-models?

Hello,

if I remember correctly I somewhere read that the F-4E's where standard equipped with the Combat Tree stuff.

I also read that because of the larger dish the F-4D radar had a slightly bigger range than the F-4E one?!

By the way I think there is no decal of this warning label in 48th scale available!? Unfortunately!

Best regards, Jens

Hello,

if I remember correctly I somewhere read that the F-4E's where standard equipped with the Combat Tree stuff.

I also read that because of the larger dish the F-4D radar had a slightly bigger range than the F-4E one?!

By the way I think there is no decal of this warning label in 48th scale available!? Unfortunately!

Best regards, Jens

the Cutting Edge sheet that had Ritchie's markings for 463 included the Combat Tree placard, if you can find one.

Yes, it does, even though on my sheet, you can only read the word "WARNING". The rest of the letters are illegible.

Good thing I probably will not be using those markings, only the RF-4C markings.

Ah, a fellow Tumbleweed appreciator..! ;)

Cheers,

Andre

The vast majority of USAF kills during Linebacker were made with AIM-7E-2 'Dogfight' Sparrows (with the 'L' markings on their wings). This was because of the introduction of Combat Tree, which allowed earlier identification of targets by reading their IFF codes. In contrast, the vast majority of USN/USMC kills were by the superior AIM-9G Sidewinders, reflecting the Navy's lack of Combat Tree and introduction of Top Gun training.

AIM-9B Sidewinders were no longer in front line use by 1972. Also, the MiGCAP jets needed gas more than guns, so they didn't carry the SUU-23 gun pods, which (along with the earlier SUU-16) were used for MiGCAP during Operation Rolling Thunder in 1967-8 by the 366 TFW (at DaNang) and 8 TFW (at Ubon).

The USAF tried using the AIM-4D Falcons (again) until mid-June 1972 when they finally had to admit that they were pretty much useless in a dogfight. The loadout was three fuel tanks, four AIM-7E-2s, two AIM-4Ds mounted on the inboard sides of the inboard pylons using LAU-41 (right pylon) and LAU-42 (left pylon) launch rails. They carried an AN/ALQ-101(V)1 ECM pod on the right inboard pylon and an AN/ALQ-71(V)2 'Special' ECM pod on the left pylon.

The Falcons were replaced on USAF MiGCAP jets with AIM-9E Sidewinders for most of rest of Linebacker (which ended in October). The AIM-9J didn't get introduced until early August 1972, and then in a limited way on Combat Tree aircraft (read 555 TFS). The basic loadout remained the same, but with the four AIM-9E/Js loaded on AERO 3B rails that were attached to the inboard pylons with the tubular spacers. [uSN/USMC jets were using AIM-9Gs by this time which required the LAU-7 launcher to provide seeker cooling.)

The vast majority of USAF kills during Linebacker were made with AIM-7E-2 'Dogfight' Sparrows (with the 'L' markings on their wings). This was because of the introduction of Combat Tree, which allowed earlier identification of targets by reading their IFF codes. In contrast, the vast majority of USN/USMC kills were by the superior AIM-9G Sidewinders, reflecting the Navy's lack of Combat Tree and introduction of Top Gun training.

AIM-9B Sidewinders were no longer in front line use by 1972. Also, the MiGCAP jets needed gas more than guns, so they didn't carry the SUU-23 gun pods, which (along with the earlier SUU-16) were used for MiGCAP during Operation Rolling Thunder in 1967-8 by the 366 TFW (at DaNang) and 8 TFW (at Ubon).

The USAF tried using the AIM-4D Falcons (again) until mid-June 1972 when they finally had to admit that they were pretty much useless in a dogfight. The loadout was three fuel tanks, four AIM-7E-2s, two AIM-4Ds mounted on the inboard sides of the inboard pylons using LAU-41 (right pylon) and LAU-42 (left pylon) launch rails. They carried an AN/ALQ-101(V)1 ECM pod on the right inboard pylon and an AN/ALQ-71(V)2 'Special' ECM pod on the left pylon.

The Falcons were replaced on USAF MiGCAP jets with AIM-9E Sidewinders for most of rest of Linebacker (which ended in October). The AIM-9J didn't get introduced until early August 1972, and then in a limited way on Combat Tree aircraft (read 555 TFS). The basic loadout remained the same, but with the four AIM-9E/Js loaded on AERO 3B rails that were attached to the inboard pylons with the tubular spacers. [uSN/USMC jets were using AIM-9Gs by this time which required the LAU-7 launcher to provide seeker cooling.)

Super, thanks Mark.

Brad