A different kind of Mustang WIP

Hey ARC,

I know tattoos are a polarizing topic. Some love 'em, some hate 'em, and some fall somewhere in between. I've recently had my back piece finished, and I thought I'd share for those that fall into the former and latter categories. I remember there was a tattoo thread a year or so ago, but I haven't seen anything posted on the topic since. I figured I'd start a new thread and share my piece.

You may recognize the artwork. The tattooist changed the squadron codes to reflect a personal touch. After about 20 hours spread over four sittings, the piece is pretty much done. I say pretty much because I have one more to take care of any touch-ups, if any are necessary.

Anyway, here are the WIP pix:

First session

session%201%20-%201%20-%20RESIZED_zpslrxtn50g.jpg

session%201%20-%202%20-%20RESIZED_zps2jl3axwt.jpg

session%201%20-%203%20-%20RESIZED_zpsl4ounfij.jpg

session%201%20-%204%20-%20RESIZED_zpsy5jjhyez.jpg

Second session

session%202%20-%201%20-%20RESIZED_zps2t9fwegf.jpg

session%202%20-%202%20-%20RESIZED_zpsxoxh3y0y.jpg

session%202%20-%203%20-%20RESIZED_zps20yltphq.jpg

session%202%20-%204%20-%20RESIZED_zpsdtmac3cr.jpg

Con't.

Edited by oortiz10

Third session

Session%203%20-%201%20-%20RESIZED_zps3c9futk9.jpg

Session%203%20-%202%20-%20RESIZED_zpsebvxhjmi.jpg

Fourth session

Session%204%20-%202%20-%20RESIZED_zpszobpdsym.jpg

Session%204%20-%201%20-%20RESIZED_zpsddgltbat.jpg

Anyway, it's pretty much done. I just need to go back in about a month, after it's all healed up, for any necessary touch-ups. Like I said, I know not everyone's in to tattoos, but I am and I just wanted to share my piece with those that might be interested.

Thanks for lookin'!

Cheers,

-O

Nice! Are you going to do the entire back at some point?

Love it! Not much else I can really say. :)/>/>

Thanks for the compliments ARC. Brian, at this point I'm not planning an entire back piece. Although I should never say never. I hadn't really ever planned on getting a piece this big, and well, here were are. I like the Mustangs the way they are, although if my artist and I could come up with an idea and make it work with the Mustangs, I might be interested.

One thing I know about tattoos is each piece of art usually has a story behind them. Is there a family connection to the Mustangs in your art?

Hey Steve, thanks for checking in. There's no family connection to the Mustangs. I've just always loved the airframe. There is some personal meaning behind it, which kinda explains the fake squadron codes. (Mom and dad's initials.) I won't bore with the details beyond saying that I've always liked the lines of the Mustang, and the original painting gave me a great way to honor my parents.

Again, thanks for looking ARC!

Cheers,

-O

Hey Steve, thanks for checking in. There's no family connection to the Mustangs. I've just always loved the airframe. There is some personal meaning behind it, which kinda explains the fake squadron codes. (Mom and dad's initials.) I won't bore with the details beyond saying that I've always liked the lines of the Mustang, and the original painting gave me a great way to honor my parents.

Again, thanks for looking ARC!

Cheers,

-O

I like that.

You must REALLY love that plane to get a tattoo of two of them. I wouldn't mind a tramp stamp of a B-2. It looks like it'd fit the form quite well.j/k

How do you plan on doing the silver? I wonder if Krylon makes tattoo ink? If I was to get a airplane tattoo it'd have to be an AV-8B+ Harrier II since I worked on those.

Exhausted, thanks for checking in.

I really like the Mustang's lines but that's not really why I chose it. As I said to Steve, there's a lot of "back story" and symbolism in my piece. I do like the P-51, but I chose it more as a symbol than anything.

As far as the coloring goes, the Mustangs will keep their NFF (Natural Flesh Finish). This is a black and grey piece, so there'l be no color in it. I'm fairly dark complected and my skin doesn't take color well, so the decision to keep it black and grey was practical decision as much as an aesthetic one.

Cheers!

-O

nice tattoo.

realistic representation of aircraft is a rather challenging tattoo subject.

lines consistency, accurate outline with straight lines that are straight, curves that have precisely the right curvature...

at least, you have chosen the right spot to place it.

so far, it's one of the nicest aircraft tattoo i've seen.

i hope you'll give us an update when it'll completed!

Absolutely amazing ink! I've always wanted to get ink done, but being on blood thinners for a heart issue, the artist I talked to told me I'd need to get a doctor's clearance, and my stupid doctor wouldn't give me one because it was too "risky". Personally, I was more than willing to take the risk. When I see work like this, it makes me want to just find a different shop, keep my heart issue to myself and do it anyway.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Hoooo boy, dat dere am some My-T-Fine art work....I can admire tat's as a lot of my family has ink....BUT!!..I'm to much of a stick in mud go that route, but if others like it....Go for it...."judge not, lest ye be judged" :) .

nice tattoo...so far, it's one of the nicest aircraft tattoo i've seen...i hope you'll give us an update when it'll completed!

Absolutely amazing ink!

Hoooo boy, dat dere am some My-T-Fine art work...

Hey ARC, thanks for the kudos! Glad you like my piece.

Mingwin, it's pretty much done. I'll go back to see the artist in a few weeks to see if there are any spots that need to be touched up. If not, he wants to take some photos for his portfolio. If you're interested, I'll post some more pix when it's all healed.

Hey Tomcat, as much as I am a fan of tattoos I'm also a fan of good safe tattooing. Get the thumbs up from your doc first. We want you to be safe.

Again, thanks for checking in!

Cheers,

-O