I actually have a battery powered latte mixer. You stick it in the paint bottle turn it on and it mixes the paint quite well. Once I am done mixing it I put it inside another bottle with thinner in it and then wipe it off.

I actually have a battery powered latte mixer. You stick it in the paint bottle turn it on and it mixes the paint quite well.

That's what Badger recommend for mixing paint, per their President in some 'all about airbrushing' lecture posted on Youtube. Supposedly the best way to mix pigments and keep them in suspension (and, particularly for acrylics, without introducing air bubbles). There are many males/models available and they're not hard to find for $5 or less. Amazon have a slew of 'Milk Frothers' for $3 - 5 and you can probably find them at your local dollar store.

21Ws4-oWJiL.jpg

Thanks, I may pick one of those up. I used to stir old model master pots with a toothpick when I was kid...took forever. I saw a "typhoon" mixer/shaker on Ebay for $80. Pricey, but you don't have to take off the lid or deal with the mess.

I got a battery operated cocktail stirrer that looks like the Badger unit at my local Dollar Tree a few years ago. The end loop that actual stirs was a tad big to fit inside a Model Mster sized bottle. So I snipped out a bit of the wire fom the loop and closed it down to a smaller loop with pliers. That took ten minutes and it now fits in the paint bottles and works very nicely.

Most of the time I just revert to shaking the bottle even though I have read numerous times you should not....

Max Bryant

If I'm pretty sure I'll be painting that evening, I put the tins in my pocket. Works especially well at the gym! Obviously, if you're working with glass bottles then some precautionary padding is smart. Also helps to put a BB or two in the container. A soft air plastic BB will melt in solvent based paint, a metal BB may rust in acrylic paint. And securing containers to jigsaws, sanders and other appropriate tools works a treat.

Now if you've got a particularly sludgy bottle the paint stirrers are perfect. You can make one yourself out of any small motor, a shaft and a gear. Just make sure you can run it at a slow speed or you'll have a comedy act! Video and put it on youtube...

hth