"Are you a veteran?"

So I worked with a nurse anesthetist today (I'm in school learning to do that..) who has clearly been in the business for a while. I'm a terrible judge of someone's age, but I'd guessed 60s. During a lull, she asked me if I was a veteran. I said, yes, I was, was she? Much to my surprise, not only is she a veteran, she's an Army retiree (retired in 1994!!!) who served in Vietnam *and* Desert Storm! She's forgotten more than I'll ever know about anesthesia, and she's a great teacher, and very chill (unlike a lot of people in this business). All I could say was, "holy cow!!!". She was in Saigon during the Tet offensive working at the Army hospital there. Doing anesthesia. When I was 6 years old! She still works full time, every single day, and takes call with the rest of the staff, most of whom are young enough to be her grandchildren. And sharp as the sharpest tack!

Wow!

That's the thing man, veterans have a solid foundation in their work ethic. How could you merely retire? If you stuck it out that long in the Army then you're never going to stop doing something until the day you die.

Nope, according to Veteran's Affairs Canada a Veteran in Canada is anyone who served in WWI, WWII, or Korea.

None of the peacekeeping missions or conflicts (Gulf War) I was involved in count. I served close to 25 years.

I do have Veteran plates on my vehicles, so I qualify with the Province.

My wife is an RN who places wounded soldiers in care facilities. She is having trouble getting disabled Afghanistan Veterans into Veteran's homes as they are not considered Veteran's. There is plenty of space as a lot of our WWII vets are passing away. It is shameful our government have not fixed this.

Nope, according to Veteran's Affairs Canada a Veteran in Canada is anyone who served in WWI, WWII, or Korea.

None of the peacekeeping missions or conflicts (Gulf War) I was involved in count. I served close to 25 years.

My wife is an RN who places wounded soldiers in care facilities. She is having trouble getting disabled Afghanistan Veterans into Veteran's homes as they are not considered Veteran's. There is plenty of space as a lot of our WWII vets are passing away. It is shameful our government have not fixed this.

So the definition is a policy issue. What's the sentiment behind defining veteran's as soldiers from the World Wars and Korea? Is it a monetary issue? Public opinion issues? Do people want to retain higher respect for those who fought in those two extremely desperate, very necessary wars?

According to their website: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/definition-veteran

Hopefully with your new PM things will look better long term for recent combat vets as it was a promise in his campaign. Along with your National Defence Minister who is widely regarded in Defense circles as one of the best I like to think you're in good hands for righting a wrong.

according to Veteran's Affairs Canada a Veteran in Canada is anyone who served in WWI, WWII, or Korea.

nope, see the link posted by Fulcrum

Veterans' Affairs considers you a veteran if you successfully completed basic training and were honourably discharged, or am I reading it wrong.

So I worked with a nurse anesthetist today (I'm in school learning to do that..) who has clearly been in the business for a while. I'm a terrible judge of someone's age, but I'd guessed 60s. During a lull, she asked me if I was a veteran. I said, yes, I was, was she? Much to my surprise, not only is she a veteran, she's an Army retiree (retired in 1994!!!) who served in Vietnam *and* Desert Storm! She's forgotten more than I'll ever know about anesthesia, and she's a great teacher, and very chill (unlike a lot of people in this business). All I could say was, "holy cow!!!". She was in Saigon during the Tet offensive working at the Army hospital there. Doing anesthesia. When I was 6 years old! She still works full time, every single day, and takes call with the rest of the staff, most of whom are young enough to be her grandchildren. And sharp as the sharpest tack!

Wow!

we just took in an old WWII vet last night in our VFW. The guy was maybe 5'2" tall. Army infantry out of Europe and Korea! Had a silver star, two bronze stars with the V device, plus at least eight or ten other medals (two purple hearts). Needless to say we all were lined up to shake his hand after the meeting was over.

When I my doctor sent me to the VA to see what was going on with me (Agent Orange complications)a young doctor looked at me, and made a bold statement that was far from correct. I called him out on it, and he said he was getting another doctor to look at me. In comes this old man (he was 72 at the time), and instantly knew what was going on. He then treated me for about six months having another five or six young doctors with him. The young folks had never seen anything like it, and he used me to train them.

Knowledge is power

gary

Like Scooby, I too served my country for nearly 25 years and I too have Veterans plates on my car . And I am a disabled Veteran and I defy the bloody pencil pushers to say otherwise

Barney at 80+

From the previously posted link:

"VAC considers any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who releases with an honourable discharge and who successfully underwent basic training to be a Veteran."

Edited by Snowbird3a
  • 3 months later...

nope, see the link posted by Fulcrum

Veterans' Affairs considers you a veteran if you successfully completed basic training and were honourably discharged, or am I reading it wrong.

Read deeper, you don't qualify for a lot of services and benefits unless you served in WWI, WWII, or Korea.

My wife cannot place wounded Afghanistan Veterans in any of the Veteran Homes, nor do any qualify for the low interest mortgages offered to the Vets in the 3 Wars I listed.

I'm often mistaken for one.

Due to my affiliation with the USS Arizona's survivors and their families, I am often dressed in USS Arizona-related clothing, especially a hat (recently the 73rd Anniversary hat made only for members 2 yrs ago). Seems like a couple times a month I am approached by strangers when I am out in public who thank me "for your service." I always kindly and appreciatively reply "I'm afraid I don't have that honor."

If time permits I will sometimes add that I had tried to served many times but was always rejected on medical grounds. Now I serve the men of the USS Arizona in an official capacity; maybe that almost makes up for some of it.

I've been told by some that, due to my position (National Secretary, USS Arizona Reunion Assn) I have the right to stand during the "Anchors Aweigh" portion of the Armed Forces Medley (the bit they do on patriotic holidays when the song for each branch of the armed forces is played, and veterans from each branch stand for "their" song). I've done this once under encouragement that I would be representing the survivors and casualties of the ship. Frankly, I didn't quite felt right doing it and will in future leave this honor for the ACTUAL veterans.

As for the amazing nurse Jennings met in post #1 here, I'd be the first to support giving her a spot in Arlington National Cemetery when her time comes. Should she so choose.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

In the US military, you are considered a veteran if you serve at least one day in basic training. I think that you should have to at least finish basic training or boot camp to qualify as a veteran. Overseas service or service in a combat zone are not required for veteran status, but probably should earn some type of extra privilege. The son of a man that I work with went off to Army boot camp at Fort Leonard Wood and came back a week later. He said Army life was just too tough for him. He now has the same VA benefits as those who severed multiple years.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

Some folks get admin sep'd, and in my understanding this means that their status was reset to the day before they joined... it's like they never stepped foot at their initial training facility. This could also mean that there is no benefit for him. For those that serve a minimum amount of time, there are benefits but you must serve for 3 years to get full VA benefits, IIRC. I am really referring to VA education benefits. I am going to school with some folks that are only covered 60% because they weren't in long enough or came in under the call to serve program.

Wow!

And sadly 90+% of the working world is not run by people like this, but ephemeral - done nothing - looking for the next job numpties, which is why the job rarely gets done right the first time.

In the US military, you are considered a veteran if you serve at least one day in basic training. I think that you should have to at least finish basic training or boot camp to qualify as a veteran. Overseas service or service in a combat zone are not required for veteran status, but probably should earn some type of extra privilege. The son of a man that I work with went off to Army boot camp at Fort Leonard Wood and came back a week later. He said Army life was just too tough for him. He now has the same VA benefits as those who severed multiple years.

Darwin

So someone who drops out of basic because it's "too tough" qualifies for tuition assistance, medical, etc, etc? I think you are mistaken.

I could see if the kid suffered a debilitating injury during training, then it's appropriate but otherwise....

If this is truly the case, that's pretty f-d up.

Back in my day (god that makes me sound old), someone who dropped out or was removed due to being unsuitable for military life was issued a general discharge. We were always told that with that type of discharge, you were entitled to nothing (as it should be).

So someone who drops out of basic because it's "too tough" qualifies for tuition assistance, medical, etc, etc? I think you are mistaken.

I could see if the kid suffered a debilitating injury during training, then it's appropriate but otherwise....

If this is truly the case, that's pretty f-d up.

Back in my day (god that makes me sound old), someone who dropped out or was removed due to being unsuitable for military life was issued a general discharge. We were always told that with that type of discharge, you were entitled to nothing (as it should be).

Agree.

Agree.

That being said, maybe today's "kinder and gentler" military has changed the rules. I did hear that anyone who quits during basic / AIT is now given an honorable discharge. No idea if that is really true or not.

Does not count in Canada, my brother quit after 10 weeks of officer school. He could not handle being away from his gf or something. My father and I are veterans, he is not. Mind you..... since then he has become a rather successful lawyer earning around 20 times what I do. As far as I know to qualify as a"vet" in Canada its minimum of 4 years service. However I thought it was 12.

That sum might have changed.

That being said, maybe today's "kinder and gentler" military has changed the rules. I did hear that anyone who quits during basic / AIT is now given an honorable discharge. No idea if that is really true or not.

This can't be true, how can your military be allowed to quit? I hope this is not the case. I couldn't live with myself if I guit during basic or AIT.

reading these posts made me think, but thoughts were not good. My youngest daughter and my son inlaw asked me what we did for Easter when I was in the Army. Coldly I told her the Easter Bunny didn't come to see us on Easter Sunday 1968. I know exactly what I did on Easter Sunday 1968 just like I'm writing this. I boarded a Huey in Chu Lai for a CA in the southwest of Quang Nghai. I know what I did on Good Friday too. I cleaned and test fired the hog. Fast forward to today. A buddy and his wife dropped by to see me, and she asked me the same question. I told her there was no Easter in the combat zone. Her husband told her not to ask me that question. I then told her that I was never in the service, as I was in a survival mode for 15 months. Combat veterans don't of the month of March. We think about who we put back together or bagged. On the otherhand a Marine may have his derogatory statements about other military folks, but one never ever says the same thing unless he's been there. Even then it's not serious. I'd rather die than see a Jar Head be hurt by some other puke. He will tell you the samething about me everytime. Trust this is serious business.

Now I find myself deeply offended by the way some vets are treated North of me. I will not stand for this, and most every combat vet will think the same way. I even think the same for an NVA puke; even though his main mission in life was to kill me. It's called respect and love thy enemy. Yet years ago I'd have killed him at first sight. I regret that now.

gary