Martin Shkreli arrested for securities fraud

He's just a symbol for niche piece of an industry that will continue to do this. That being said, I don't wish him the best for anything, at all, ever. His name has been made around unlawful and immoral business practice. My mother has been fighting cancer for nearly two years now and I HATE to see someone/anyone threaten cancer patients' treatment and prevention efforts.

I don't know why there's such outrage at this guy. It's just capitalism at work. He bought the rights for the product and he can charge whatever the market will bear. Besides, what makes this guy any different than the big pharma companies that gouge us as well. The difference is they bought our politicians and have very expensive and talented legal teams.

Outrage, because it's disgusting behaviour. Just nobody seems to want to make the lateral jump to the obvious conclusion - this guy is the personification of unregulated libertarian capitalism. If Object A is the same as Object B, and Object A has Attribute X, it follows that Object B also has Attribute X.

I don't think anyone who's had to deal with the cost of some drugs has anything good to say about big pharma, though, either.

I don't know why there's such outrage at this guy. It's just capitalism at work. He bought the rights for the product and he can charge whatever the market will bear. Besides, what makes this guy any different than the big pharma companies that gouge us as well. The difference is they bought our politicians and have very expensive and talented legal teams.

This is why. He flaunts his "business moves" and gives the finger to anyone who disagrees with him. As an example, here's an interview he gave the day before he was arrested (Naughty words edited).

On his disagreement with Wu-Tang Clan rapper RZA, over the sale to Shkreli of the exclusive album and RZA’s subsequent distancing from the transaction, in an Dec. 16 interview with the publication HipHopDX:

“That’s not the way I do business. If I hand you $2 million, f---ing show me some respect. At least have the decency to say nothing or ‘no comment.’ The guy says ‘…before his business practices came to light.’ What the f— does that mean? I f---ing make money. That’s what I do. That’s why I can f---ing afford a f---ing $2 million album. What do you think I do, make cookies? No, motherf---er. I sell drugs. [Laughs] I felt insulted.

These are not the words of an ordinary capitalist. The guy is a jerk to the core.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a jerk or what he did wasn't immoral. All I'm saying is what he did was perfectly legal here in the USA and it was his right to sell his product at a price he deemed was correct based on its value. I think yes, he is a disgusting toad. Also at my age buying monthly Rx's is quite a bite out of my income. But I suggest we take a look at the entire drug market and how we are getting screwed for our costs while the rest of the world actually tells the drug companies what they can reasonably charge. This guy is a very visible small fish in a very large pond of inequity.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a jerk or what he did wasn't immoral. All I'm saying is what he did was perfectly legal here in the USA and it was his right to sell his product at a price he deemed was correct based on its value. I think yes, he is a disgusting toad. Also at my age buying monthly Rx's is quite a bite out of my income. But I suggest we take a look at the entire drug market and how we are getting screwed for our costs while the rest of the world actually tells the drug companies what they can reasonably charge. This guy is a very visible small fish in a very large pond of inequity.

He wasn't arrested for his price gouging. He was arrested for running a ponzi scheme and securities fraud. People are glad he's fallen because of his gouging, but that's not what he has been charged with. So that's not capitalism at work, that's criminal activities at work.

Bill

I'm always amazed at all the guys that set up ponzi schemes and never have a clean exit plan. The con people....live life big and when it all begins to come apart....they either get arrested or do some poorly planned escape that looks like it was planned by a 5 year old.

I'm always amazed at all the guys that set up ponzi schemes and never have a clean exit plan. The con people....live life big and when it all begins to come apart....they either get arrested or do some poorly planned escape that looks like it was planned by a 5 year old.

Me too, but what I have also found with stories like this, some of which I have witnessed first hand, is that these dopes often taunt those around them while they are up to no good. You would think that if you're doing something illegal, you would try to lay low and not draw attention to yourself, or your misdeeds. People will often look away from crimes because they don't want to get involved and be exposed to a stressful situation. If the crook is taunting you and others while he's at it (or shortly thereafter in this case), it's pretty easy to break out of that mindset and go for his jugular. I bet there's a lot of stories that will come out in the months ahead along these same lines.

Sadly, I bet there's a few guys running around right now trying to get the movie rights, giving Shkreli even more money for being a crook and a jerk. Hopefully he'll lose it all defending himself.

...that's not capitalism at work, that's criminal activities at work.

Bill

BINGO :thumbsup: . The guys a scumbag...period! Sadly, his particular brand of scumbagery can be found in EVERY economy the World over, not just capitalism.

BINGO :thumbsup:/> . The guys a scumbag...period! Sadly, his particular brand of scumbagery can be found in EVERY economy the World over, not just capitalism.

True, but there are enough bribes circulating to cover up many others just like Martin Shkreli right here in the states. Just because it happened the the Soviet Union, happens in Russia, and other countries doesn't mean we should hunt it with any less of a prejudice.

True, but there are enough bribes circulating to cover up many others just like Martin Shkreli right here in the states. Just because it happened the the Soviet Union, happens in Russia, and other countries doesn't mean we should hunt it with any less of a prejudice.

Ummmm...o.k then...sure... :blink: