Saudi F-5E combat load out?

So, I'm relatively quite close to completing my 1:48 Desert Storm collection. One of the planes I have planned still is a Saudi F-5E. Unfortunately, I have no information whatsoever on their combat load out. Any chance someone have a clue?

If not, I'll just do a centerline tank, 2 sidewinders, and 4 Mk20.

I've been searching for the perzak same information and come up empty. I don't understand why there is so little (almost none!) documentation or photos of the extensive Saudi air operations during Desert Storm; especially almost nothing on F-5E ops. So far, for my planned build of a Saudi F-5E I'm thinking of a very bland loadout of 4 Mk 82's. Was hoping to use some AGM-65's, but although their F-5's were capable of Maverick use, I cannot find any indication that they were actually used in operations. Anyone have better info?

I've seen reference to AIM-9L's on the wing tips, GBU10's one each on the outboard and tanks on the inboard pylons.

The GBU10s would have been for the F-5F I believe.

If all those models are of your high standard :worship:/>/> , I sure would like to see them all, any chance of a pic of the collection ?

thanks for the compliment, they are definitely not all the same standard though :)/> Except this year, where I have only done 1 DS build, on average I finish 4 per year. So that goes back years since I started this project. You will see a progression of my modeling skill improving. My first DS builds are gear up. I have 41 builds at the moment, some of them I plan to touch up. What's left to build is the F-4G, F-5E, and A-6E. I'll post a pic of each one when I am done my DS building. But here's my favourite (recent) one:

IMG_2807_zps6016b0eb.jpg

Edited by Benner

Hard to believe its almost 25 years ago when this conflict started.

Have been looking in my DS books for the Saudi F-5 but their are only the well known pics. DS pictures were shot old style wet film and the media was controlled. Nowadays just everyone can take good pics with their mobile phone, not in those days...You need to find someone who was there and took pictures for personal use.

• 3 weeks later...

The Saudis used F-5Fs to buddy lase for F-5Es. The tip rails will want AIM-9Ps,outboard pylons GBU-10s and inboards drop tanks with the center pylon clean.

If you want a different loadout,you can build a Bahraini bird with 6 Mk 82s under the belly with 2 drop tanks on the inboards and a pair of Sidewinders.

F-5Fs to buddy-lase for F-5Es ? How ? Pod ? The only info I have that their Bell 406 Combat Scouts buddy-lased for F-5Fs with two GBU-10s. Also, I have a picture of F-5F with some cabin mounted laser designer - is that it ? AVQ-9 ?

Thanks for help.

Jakub, the "theoretical" part of Benner-Jakub Gulf war duo :thumbsup:/>

Edited by JakubJakepilot

The Saudis used F-5Fs to buddy lase for F-5Es. The tip rails will want AIM-9Ps,outboard pylons GBU-10s and inboards drop tanks with the center pylon clean.

If you want a different loadout,you can build a Bahraini bird with 6 Mk 82s under the belly with 2 drop tanks on the inboards and a pair of Sidewinders.

hm, got a source for that info? literature, pics? curious to see.

slight correction to the Bahraini loadout, it was 5 Mk82s, the bottom rear of the MER has to be left clear to allow clearance for take off.

F-5Fs to buddy-lase for F-5Es ? How ? Pod ? The only info I have that their Bell 406 Combat Scouts buddy-lased for F-5Fs with two GBU-10s. Also, I have a picture of F-5F with some cabin mounted laser designer - is that it ? AVQ-9 ?

Thanks for help.

Jakub, the "theoretical" part of Benner-Jakub Gulf war duo :thumbsup:/>/>

theoretical?? how about be fiancial? :)

I haven't seen a load chart for the F-5E but here is one for the F-5A which should be similar:

f-5a_wpns.gif

the only place a GBU-10 would fit would be on the c/l pylon since the GBU-10 weighs over 2,000lbs.

Jari

The laser designator was mounted inside the rear cockpit and aimed and operated by the crewman there; that's how it was originally done over Vietnam.

Regards,

Murph

The laser designator was mounted inside the rear cockpit and aimed and operated by the crewman there; that's how it was originally done over Vietnam.

Regards,

Murph

It didn't have a designation since it was never used by the US, but was called LTDS (probably Laser Target Designation System). Somewhere I have a picture of the thing, but I can't find it at the moment.

It didn't have a designation since it was never used by the US, but was called LTDS (probably Laser Target Designation System). Somewhere I have a picture of the thing, but I can't find it at the moment.

Ya if anyone had this book My link there's a small black and white pic inside showing it mounted on the rear canopy frame of a Taiwan F-5F. The front canopy would usually have a grid box marked on the same side to help the pilot stay within laser constraint while circling the target. I believe it was also used in the early LGB days in Vietnam before the Pave pods came out.

Ours lasted till the early 90s before the F-16s and LANTIRN/ Litening took over

I stand corrected! The second link in Dan's post #17 above identified the unit as the AN/AVQ-27, built by Northrop. Its nomenclature was assigned on 15 March 1976 and from other information I have it was used by several countries who bought F-5Fs. It was definitely a post-Vietnam item.

I, too, am skeptical about claims of dropping GBU-10s from F-5s, when the Dash 1 identifies the 750-lb class M117 & BLU-1/-27 as the heaviest stores carried. I know it's listed in the first link in Post #17 and that the old Monogram kit included them, but it seems quite a stretch to me to more than double the previously permitted store weight. BTW, the stores found in Finn's post #14 all use 14" suspension, while the GBU-10 requires 30" suspension. Perhaps they meant the GBU-16 1,000-lb LGB, which does use 14" suspension. Would love to see a picture!

Hi,

the only two pics of the AVQ-27 system I have are this:

avq-27_1.jpg

avq-27_2.jpg

So, are they the same system the Saudis had in Gulf on their F-5Fs ? I also found one info that only the centerline pylon is capable of carrying 2000 pound store. Is there any chart of what could be loaded up on which pylon ? Thanks !

Saudi F5 in 1992 (just postwar) carried;

Mk 82 slick and snakeye GBU 12

AIM9B (usually just for practice firings with TDU 11) and AIM9P

MK 84 and GBU 10

AGM 65 cant remember the model, (it had scene scan?)

CBU 57/58.

LAU 3/A

(I worked as a contractor in KSA munitions at the time)

Selwyn