What is best hobby shop on the planet-moving-exile

So heres my question, if you build armor aircraft and cars and were going underground, into exile or witness protection and wanted to live out the rest of your life building models quietly and needed a well stocked hobby shop nearby, and an internet connection to live, where would you move to? next door to Sprue Brothers?, Hannants in England, Volks in Japan, somewhere in Hong Kong or Germany? where on the planet would you go?

If you have an internet connection, why does your location matter?

That being said, I'm pretty sure Akihabara has the most hobby shops per square foot, so that would probably be a decent choice if you're looking for *variety*; next best would likely be Hong Kong, which puts you at the nexus of the Japanese and Chinese hobby industries as well as Western manufacturers being imported into Asia.

If you're just looking for a specific genre, Hannants and Aviation Megastore are probably the two biggest outlets for aircraft model fans. Not sure what the military equivalent would be, and I don't think there *is* an automotive equivalent... Spotmodel in Spain, maybe? Hiroboy or GrandPrix Models in the UK? (though GPM is more die cast...)

just want to be able to walk down the block if i need a bottle of paint or new brush or new kit, so hobby shop important to me, the last time I was near a great hobby shop was in Cary NC he had al the latest kits and some detail parts too, it was great to be able to go to a real store, I heard its gone

I'd go for the "Show me" state Sprue Bros gets stuff from both sides Asia and Europe, not to mention the good ol' USA :D . If I were in witness protection...If...I'd make sure they gave me a large charge acct..and Matt Green for an AKA...why?...it's sounds better than John Smith

Ok, let's get this out of the way: what did you do and are you in witness protection?

Now seriously, I think I would move to Delaware and enjoy scale hobbyist. :)

:hmmm: Why Delaware?, ScaleHobbyhist is in Nashua, New Hampshire....at least that's what the website says, if you moved to the far Northeastern US you could enjoy some h-e-l-l-acious fall scenery :D .

just want to be able to walk down the block if i need a bottle of paint or new brush or new kit, so hobby shop important to me, the last time I was near a great hobby shop was in Cary NC he had al the latest kits and some detail parts too, it was great to be able to go to a real store, I heard its gone

Aye, there's the rub. With the Internet being able to provide some site that's always cheaper, the LHS disappears. And then try to buy one bottle of Mr Color #1 Gloss White online...

I make it a point to buy things first from the LHS. Not quite paying retail, but definitely more that say Sprue or ScaleHobbyist. I'm obviously not going to keep my 2 remaining LHS afloat, but I keep trying :whistle:

Edited by dnl42

From my personal experience dating back 15 – 25 years.

Pacific region: Tokyo / Akihabara

Europe I: Aviation Megastore; I spent many a rainy Saturday stocking up for future builds with little gems from the former East Bloc that are hard to imagine.

Europe II: Hannants Colindale Station