(SPOILERS) STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS

I hope your right. I love listening to the classic Star Wars soundracks, I'll check this one out per your link later this week.

I concur with "Cool Hand" regarding the soundtrack :thumbsup: . Check it out when you get a chance "Toadwbg".

cheers!

Episodes I, II, and III had Star Wars in the title as well and they never attained what this movie has and this stage in their showings ;)/> . If the movie truly was a dog the ticket sales would not still be high and the reviews would not be kind to say the least.

Again, a few people won't like the movie. Good. Each to their own.

I look forward to where Disney and the writers will take us. It should be a good ride.

Cheers!

Ticket prices weren't 14$ a ticket back when they came out either. Movies should never be judged on amount of money earned but by amount of tickets sold. Comparing $$ earned from episode VII and IV is like comparing a 1970s car to a 2015 model.

I think you get my point. Just because it has Star Wars in the name doesn't translate to full theatres and generally good reviews as you had posted above, and if the movie really was trash it wouldn't have sustained the positive momentum over a week since release. Episodes I, II, III certainly didn't attain near the positive reviews this movie has nor near the ticket sales and momentum at this stage in their respective releases...regardless of ticket cost as its relative to the time anyways. That was my point.

Again we get it, you hate the movie. That has been made pretty clear. That's perfectly fine, each to their own. As it has been pointed out a few times some will love it, others won't. Good. But the bottom line the reviews are generally good...sales are record breaking and the momentum has also been consistent. Something must have been done right besides slapping "Star Wars" on the poster.

Have a good one... cheers!

:cheers:

EDIT: we pay $7.50 here for movies...$14 is crazy!

Edited by Don

Ticket prices weren't 14$ a ticket back when they came out either. Movies should never be judged on amount of money earned but by amount of tickets sold. Comparing $$ earned from episode VII and IV is like comparing a 1970s car to a 2015 model.

This. Hollywood and the media just goes Bannanas bragging over the biggest $ movie of all time.

I believe adjusted for inflation, Gone with the Wind is still the winner.

I took in a second viewing a couple days ago, and in view of the criticism in this thread I paid special attention to the music. I thought it was pretty good, and I've got the original trilogy soundtracks memorized (to the point that I instantly recognized the music cue when Rey first makes her stand against Ren with Luke's lightsaber was taken straight from Ep.IV. Specifically the point when Luke swears vengeance on the Empire after finding the mesquite-grilled remains of his aunt and uncle.)

One point made above I do agree with..why did Phasma cave so easily? In fact, after she casually shuts down the shields she is basically left unattended while Han and Finn argue. She kinda reminds me of Darth Maul, who was endlessly hyped in the buildup to Ep.I, but ended up having like four lines in the film. I was a bit baffled when the audience cheered at his demise. We never got to know the character well enough to actually hate him.

Anyway, I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first, and look forward to the next installment.

Edited by Steve N

See all these replies make me realize why I didn't like this movie. Disney made it into a kids movie. Star Wars was always so much more than that. But now it's basically "I took my 7 year old and they loved it so I love it". No thanks it was supposed to appeal to me the 36 year old and I found it terrible lacking. Childish characters, no development, terrible original score. I'm going to take my kids to see it next week. My 7 yr old doesn't even want to go but I'm forcing her. Maybe I'll like it more or maybe it'll be the last time I see it. Only time will tell.

I saw it today and think it is really good. The characters were good, the score was fine with a nice mix of new and old. The action scenes were great but not overblown. I'm 39 and the first movie I remember seeing in theaters was Return of the Jedi when I was 7. This one is just as good if not better in my opinion. It does appeal to a 7 year old, my 14 year old loved it, and I really enjoyed it.

...reminds me of Darth Maul, who was endlessly hyped in the buildup to Ep.I, but ended up having like four lines in the film. I was a bit baffled when the audience cheered at his demise. We never got to know the character well enough to actually hate him.

Anyway, I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first, and look forward to the next installment.

I never understood why they killed off Darth Maul so quickly either. Character wise in Episode I he had perhaps the best potential to really grow and become a solid SW villain had they carried him through to even one more Episode.

Cheers!

Don

P.S. if you follow SW Clone Wars then you know Maul actually survived and ends up with a set of mechanical legs.

I never understood why they killed off Darth Maul so quickly either. Character wise in Episode I he had perhaps the best potential to really grow and become a solid SW villain had they carried him through to even one more Episode.

Cheers!

Don

P.S. if you follow SW Clone Wars then you know Maul actually survived and ends up with a set of mechanical legs.

Saw this episode. Sort of made me groan, the whole idea of him surviving being cut in half and falling that far.... that's like bad comic-book writing.

Literally everything else failed to live up to what I was hoping for.

Not going to argue against your opinion. As an observation, I find a lot of us have ridiculously high expectations. I learned my lessons from the Prequels not to do that! :bandhead2:/>

Something I sorta figured out is that there is only really a few chances in your life to be "blown away" by a movie. Once those cards are played, you really can't go there again. The original Star Wars did that for me back in 1977 and everything since has been a step down. In the case of the mentioned prequels, way down. I thought 7 was worthy of the franchise name again.

Rey was literally the only part of the movie I actually liked. (Ok, the dogfights were pretty good too.)

Daisy Riddley as Rey was amazing. The emoting she does with wondrous and watery eyes nailed here role of discovering the Force.

I also thought this was Chewies best film. He gets a lot of screen time and lines (in Wookie-speak), which added a lot of hammy comedy. Peter Mehwew I know is pretty old and has trouble walking so a stunt double was used for a lot of work. Chewie is sort of that supporting actor you can play comedy against.

Edited by toadwbg

Not being an Uber fan of the franchise I did see it... for the value in entertainment I'll give it a 3/5.

As to previous comments I agree this is a bridge movie to introduce the story to a new generation. The inclusion of the old cast perhaps was there to appeal to the first generation of SW fans. JJ Abrams has been successful in rrejuvenating ST, to his credit I think that franchise is going to be successful.

It has now been Disenyized..... don't make the characters too dark so the 5 year Olds won't have nightmares but maintain enough to carry on the story line.

My impression of the battle scenes is what kept me from not enjoying this movie. I saw it in 3D which I thought kept my interests peaked.

I know I won't be going to see it again in the theater....bUT I'll buy a Blue Ray and add it to my collection.

Disney was successful in many ways....reintroduced a franchise to a new generation....... made money doing it.....and successfully launched merchandise that a lot of kids want....I bought just about $200 in TFA figures and vehicles for my nephew for Christmas.

Kids don't care about introductions or back stories of characters. They care about how cool it was. Just my two Canadian cents...

Saw this episode. Sort of made me groan, the whole idea of him surviving being cut in half and falling that far.... that's like bad comic-book writing.

Yeah, especially him living essentially in a junkyard, living off rodents, and pretty much having gone insane until Savage (his brother) comes to rescue him. Makes a cool action figure and Lego minifigure though... :D .

As an aside, the novel "Maul: Lockdown" by Joe Schreiber is a pretty decent read.

:cheers:

...Disney was successful in many ways....reintroduced a franchise to a new generation....... made money doing it.....and successfully launched merchandise that a lot of kids want....I bought just about $200 in TFA figures and vehicles for my nephew for Christmas...

Yep I just finished assembling my Son's Poes X-Wing, the TIE fighter, Rey's Speeder, and the Assault Walker. I still have the Elite Speeder Bike, Landspeeder, and Snowspeeder to go plus all the figures to unpackaged...but hey at least there's no batteries required :woot.gif: ...LOL!

:cheers: all!

Very cool! If interested, I fixed the laser cannons on my Sons X-Wing using warm water to straighten them and then running cold over them . Took me less then 5 minutes and they are pretty much bang on. And if you get the separate Poe figure in his flight suit it's a drop fit in the cockpit (I heard Hasbro somehow mixed the figures up...the one in the X-Wing was supposed to be in the single figure pack and vice versa. Not sure if that's true or not?).

Good memories :thumbsup: !

It has now been Disenyized..... don't make the characters too dark so the 5 year Olds won't have nightmares but maintain enough to carry on the story line.

Although BB8 was a clear Disney-esqe character (and I still loved him), Kylo-Ren by contrast was extremely dark. Name another Disney movie where Patricide is committed!

Although BB8 was a clear Disney-esqe character (and I still loved him), Kylo-Ren by contrast was extremely dark. Name another Disney movie where Patricide is committed!

Yeah killing the old man was different.....but I don't think he was as bad as Vader or Sideous. Came across to me as being insecure.....afraid to fail the dark side.

Yeah killing the old man was different.....but I don't think he was as bad as Vader or Sideous. Came across to me as being insecure.....afraid to fail the dark side.

He's clearly in a grey area as far as the force goes. He wants to be dark, but isn't as dark as he'd like to be and is having trouble getting there.

He's clearly designed for audience empathy and the hope that he's not too far gone to be redeemed.

Just returned from the cinema.

Well,from a guys that was ( excepet for Binks) very excited after Episode 1,I'm very disappointed.

The first half is still enjoyable,but the second half,well all obvious and intuitive, a rip-off of Episode IV but for the worst;I can't prove empathy for any character with the obvious exception of Han and Chewie.

Gianni