(SPOILERS) STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS

I think that was the point. Han dying is probably more emotionally significant than Obi-Wan dying in Ep IV. Also Han dying is setting up a new generation of charachters (and audiences) to move on to new adventures. In this way, Ep 7 is a bit of a bridge.

Well it is PG-13. Take a 3 year old, I would not.

I'm sorta OK with the increased violence. I'd probably counter-argue the originals (and a lot of media in the past) far over-glorifies violence without consequences.

The blood and violence was also a key plot point to Finns change of heart to follow his own destiny and reject the First Order.

Tracking about Han. I kinda knew something significant would happen like that, I was just expressing that it personally bummed me out and actually made me dislike the movie even more.

How do the originals over-glorify violence? I am speaking of specifics like it seemed that every Stormtrooper in the film was given screen time to show how they were blown up or blasted away in some manner. Don't even get me started on the 2 space gangs that met their deaths by the tentacley thing on Solo's ship, that was kinda gruesome. (Yes I know, Rancor's and Dune Sea creatures have to eat too).

One other thing I just remembered I should have said before (although this had nothing to do with how I felt about the film) is the Skywalker family Lightsaber. How in the hell did 'ol gal that runs the place get her hands, no pun intended, on it?! Are we going to see a entire movie about that as it seems Disney is trying to squeeze every little tidbit out of the Star Wars franchise? Seriously though, the last time anyone saw it, it was on it's way down the rabbit hole on Cloud City after Daddy Skywalker did the one-two on Luke's hand making it a family tradition. Now I'm not sure if it was Luke's hand or the lightsaber but when he finally stopped falling through the tunnel and ended up hanging off the antenna array, there IS something that fell out with him. If you rewatch that scene in ESB you can get a glimpse of it. There's no way anyone could get the saber if that was it because, well it fell to the "surface" of a planet made entirely of gas. It did make for a good plot theme though I do admit, being passed through three people to end up back in Luke's possession.

As for the lightsaber, not everything needs to be explained on-screen. Mas does say, " that's a story for another time". That said, your right that Disney may milk that for one of the anthology films.

In the now-defunct previous EU, Luke's hand and Saber also showed up again (Thrawn book Trilogy). It's always been assumed that someone picked it up at Cloud City.

Something does fall past Luke when he's hanging for life under Cloud City but it's never explicitly shown to be his hand and Saber, but most our minds connect that dot for some reason. Besides, when Luke jumps from Vader he falls/gets sucked into one of several tube/shafts. No guarantee his hand and Saber fell down the same one or if it just bonked an Ugnaught on the head.

Edited by toadwbg

How do the originals over-glorify violence?

In context of the 70s/early 80s (that's key) they didn't too much. For example "faceless" bad-guys (stormtroopers) get cleanly shot dead or their ship / planet / Death Star explodes in a pretty but clean fireball. Obi-Wan dissapears when Vader cuts him down. There's exceptions to this as you noted but it's mostly sanitized cartoon violence in the originals. A lot of Westerns of the 60s-70s where the same way. Bad guys die easily after being shot once / bad guys can't hit heroes. I guess Rambo and a lot of 80s action films were the same way. YES, movie violence has changed in modern times.

I thought Ep7 did go over-the-top in places like stormtroopers flying in the air like acrobats after getting shot or blown up! Almost became comical to a fault.

Edited by toadwbg

Honestly (as opposed to lying like I usually do here), it's been so long since I've seen it I can't really answer that question. It was published in the late '70s, so I'm guessing it would be fairly outdated by now in many ways. If I recall correctly, the model the book guided you to build based on plastic for-sale signs was pretty lame, just a bunch of triangles cut and glued together.

Thank you!

I liked the new stormtroopers update as well. The only little nit pick I have is the "mouth" leading into the eyes, it looks kind of messy if not a close up. There was a stormtrooper on Jaku that had a contemporary looking chest rig that looked really good, I was surprised we didn't see more storm troopers with some modern looking gear

Are these just the first order stormtroops look? They mention clone troopers will they still look like the old style if they're ever put in this new series.

That line "Clonetroopers" mutteted by Kylo Ren was interesting. Was it merely fan-service and a nod back to the prequals or are new Clone armies still available to the First Order?

In the now defunct and excellent EU Thrawn Trilogy, The Emperor had secret "Sparti Cloning Cylinders", which could clone an adult male trooper ready and educated to serve. This was a game-changer for staffing Thrawn's new fleet. I wonder if we will see Disney pull this card in future installments?

That line "Clonetroopers" mutteted by Kylo Ren was interesting. Was it merely fan-service and a nod back to the prequals or are new Clone armies still available to the First Order?

In the now defunct and excellent EU Thrawn Trilogy, The Emperor had secret "Sparti Cloning Cylinders", which could clone an adult male trooper ready and educated to serve. This was a game-changer for staffing Thrawn's new fleet. I wonder if we will see Disney pull this card in future installments?

The way I'm understanding it is that the Empire still exists to some point and the First Order is just a separate elite unit of it. So I'm thinking that regular Stormtroopers probably still exist and the clone trooper line was meant to be about them. Whether they're actual clones or not is yet to be determined. I know the empire used to consist of regular recruits trained as Stormtroopers and not clones anymore. But maybe they were always considered clones since they started that way and we're all trained the same even if they weren't actual clones?

The First Orders troopers were explained to be stolen and trained from birth. Not sure how they were chosen though.

The way I'm understanding it is that the Empire still exists to some point and the First Order is just a separate elite unit of it. So I'm thinking that regular Stormtroopers probably still exist and the clone trooper line was meant to be about them. Whether they're actual clones or not is yet to be determined. I know the empire used to consist of regular recruits trained as Stormtroopers and not clones anymore. But maybe they were always considered clones since they started that way and we're all trained the same even if they weren't actual clones?

The First Orders troopers were explained to be stolen and trained from birth. Not sure how they were chosen though.

Yeah, the established cannon has been Clonetroopers were phased out after the Clone Wars in lieu of more cost effective conscripted human Stormtroopers that may have had little more than boot-camp training in some cases. It is widely held in the SW universe that the Clonetroopers were more effective trained and professional army. That said, Disney can go any way they want with this story now.

I hope that doesn't fail like these have.

"These" as in Episode 7, the Prequals or both?

Financially, the Prequels were not a failure. Critically they were a failure by most traditional/old-school fans (like myself) but not by a younger generation who grew up with them or many foreign cultures who actually loved Jar-Jar.. :deadhorse1: Yeah seriously. I know Ukrainian, Japanese and Middle-Easterners who thought he was brilliant!

Episode 7 has been both a financial and critical success by any metric. Certainly there is room for criticism as I will testify and many others have here on this thread. I gave Ep 7 an 8/10 but if I still expect Disney to put that 9/10 or 10/10 movie out there, I think I'm in for a life of disappointment... :tongue-in-cheek:

For those out there like myself who are voracious Star Wars readers, I cannot recommend enough the various books out there surrounding TFA movie. For example:

"Star Wars The Force Awakens Incredible Cross-Sections" by Remillard and Fry.

"Star Wars The Force Awakens The Visual Dictionary" by Hidalgo

"The Art of Star Wars The Force Awakens" by Szostak

"Star Wars The Force Awakens: Before the Awakening" by Rucka

"Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens Lost Stars" by Gray

"Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens Smugglers Run" by Rucka

"Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens The Weapon Of A Jedi" by Fry

One that I haven't read but its sitting here beside me is:

"Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens Moving Target" by Castellucci and Fry

Do not get thrown off by the "Young Reader"/"Young Adult"/"Teen" ratings of some of these books. They are great and fill in A LOT to get you up to speed with what's going on in this new SW universe. To be honest, in my opinion (key words) the books above blow the doors off of "Aftermath" by Wendig which is supposed to be the "adult" novel to get you up to speed to the new U. I could barely get through "Aftermath"...and it has a second book coming out in July... :o

Just posting this for those interested as they do answer questions some here have wondered about.

Cheers!

I was looking around and found this:

force-awakens-tie-fighter-concept-art_zps86ikmmia.jpg

Apparently this ^^^ was an early artists rendition of what Kylo Ren's shuttle was initially going to look like. Interesting looking design regardless. An obvious TIE variation and if it was painted all gloss black like Ren's shuttle ended up then it would have looked equally sinister. You can see elements of Ren's shuttle in the above design...long boarding ramp, high wings, two intakes that become twin heavy laser canons on the final design. The all crimson looking guards at the foot of the ramp harken back to the Emperors personal guard.

As an aside, the Resistance Transport is apparently a hybrid variation of the B-Wing. Definitely has a B-Wing cockpit and B-Wing Mk. 2 heavy laser canons at the rear. But the usual slim B-Wing center section was replaced by a troop/cargo section. Interesting IMHO!

I wonder what other ideas were floated about that never made the final cut?

Cheers!

:cheers:

Don.

I have seen the movie now and as for the character Rey, a true super feministic person.

The Force doesn't need guys with laser sabres anymore.

She will wipe out the First Order in the following episodes.

Also this episode (TFA) proves that Luke wasn't gay at all but that he might had a one-night stand with Leia?

The monster alien species looked great and besides the scene were the MF cutting trees, it was all entertaining!

Finally the stormtroopers seeing shot with burned wounds proofs this is made in 2015.

Also this episode (TFA) proves that Luke wasn't gay at all but that he might had a one-night stand with Leia?

Luke and Leia are brother and sister...yes they could have had a one-night stand but I am not sure that's a road Disney would want to venture down...:whistle:...

If you read the Star Wars novels, Luke had interests in the ladies. He ended up marrying Mara Jade, a character who floated back and forth between the dark side and the light and was actually an assassin sent to kill him:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mara_Jade_Skywalker

Is Rey the child of Luke and Mara? Could be but probably not as Disney wants to distance itself from the "old" Star Wars universe/canon. There is a theory floating about online that Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. But that begs the question "who is the father?"...Luke? Interesting to speculate.

As an aside, I imagine that we should start seeing some teasers for the Star Wars movie "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" which is due out December 16, 2016:

http://www.starwars.com/films/rogue-one

Super Bowl Sunday perhaps?

Cheers!

Don.

Edited by Don

Ok, I have to ask... outside the realm of yaoi fangirls, who actually thought Luke was gay? :rolleyes:

:D Aside from today I have never heard it mentioned before, certainly not in any of the novels or other canon related materials. First time for everything though I suppose... :lol:...

Grainy photos of supposed "Rogue One" movie X-wing:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/star-wars-rogue-one-x-wing-tmz-2.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/star-wars-rogue-one-x-wing-tmz-3.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/star-wars-rogue-one-x-wing-tmz-1.jpg

Neat looking paint scheme from what can be seen.

There are also some shots out there of a burnt out space craft and dead Stormtroopers floating on a lake from the movie.

Ok, I have to ask... outside the realm of yaoi fangirls, who actually thought Luke was gay? :rolleyes:/>

Never thought that as,a kid, but I was innocent back in the 70s-early 80s.

Really I always considered Luke to be like a celebate warrior-monk, which was sort of Lucas' vision for the Jedi.

That said, if I had Force powers, I'm sure I would abuse them with the ladies....

Grainy photos of supposed "Rogue One" movie X-wing:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/star-wars-rogue-one-x-wing-tmz-2.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/star-wars-rogue-one-x-wing-tmz-3.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/star-wars-rogue-one-x-wing-tmz-1.jpg

Neat looking paint scheme from what can be seen.

There are also some shots out there of a burnt out space craft and dead Stormtroopers floating on a lake from the movie.

:cheers:/>

Cool. Really just the classic T-65 X-Wing with a snappy paint job to sell more toys :P

Hopefully we will get some good model kits out of these films too.

BTW: is there any good models from TFA?

Never thought that as,a kid, but I was innocent back in the 70s-early 80s.

Really I always considered Luke to be like a celebate warrior-monk, which was sort of Lucas' vision for the Jedi.

That said, if I had Force powers, I'm sure I would abuse them with the ladies....

Was also thinking that Luke (and Mark Hamill) were a product of their times when the film's were made. The late 70s was ripe with long-haired skinny teens which by today's standards may be considered less than masculine but normal for the time.

Then there was whiny Episode 2 Anakin...don't get me started :(