(SPOILERS) STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS

For TFA model kits look into Bandai. They are TOP NOTCH little GEMS! Arguably the best Star Wars kits out there. They have TFA Falcon in 1/144 that is sweet. They also have TFA X-Wing and two TFA TIEs (SF and regular version) in 1/72. For figures... honestly they have all the major players covered (or will have soon).

As an aside here is my T-65 X-Wing from Bandai, finished pics at the bottom (TFA version is just as detailed but I haven't started mine yet):

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=289447

Now, Revell has TFA SF TIE and X-Wing in their SnapTite Max line of pre-painted kits, as well as a TFA Falcon. I personally like both the TIE and X-Wing. Others will say they are trash but, to each their own. I think they are pretty decent especially for how cheap they can be had at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. I am currently building the SF TIE by giving it a repaint and adding some minor details and its a blast so far (hence my avatar here on ARC). I expect the X-Wing will be the same. Downfall...no pilot figures. The Falcon...needs major work. I was going to correct its flaws but when I totaled them up it was silly (the biggest of which is that its way to thick in the sides). So, I am going to build it and give it a full repaint and try out some new weathering techniques.

HTH!

Cheers!

:cheers:

Don.

Edited by Don

Don-really like that X-wing model. Might have to get some of these Bandai kits.

I have the old Darth Vader TIE from MPC/AMT/Eartl at home. Been thinking about building that.

At one time or another I built all those OT kits. Still have some "hunks of junk" sitting around I built back in High school and college from 20-30 years ago. I recall seam lines as big as a womp-rat on those kits!

Edited by toadwbg

Kylo Ren comes across as a real baddy to start the movie, can stop a laser bolt in mid air until he decides to release it. However, he takes on not one but two untrained individuals wielding a light sabre and he can't just wipe them away. Sorry I don't buy it. Initially I liked the movie but the more I think about it I'm less impressed. The "wow" factor really didn't kick in like any of the original three movies (IV, V and VI). I wasn't impressed with JJ Abrams before and my opinion hasn't changed much. Hopefully he comes through in the next episode. In his interview with Charlie Rose, George Lucas wasn't too impressed either.

Don-really like that X-wing model. Might have to get some of these Bandai kits.

I have the old Darth Vader TIE from MPC/AMT/Eartl at home. Been thinking about building that.

At one time or another I built all those OT kits. Still have some "hunks of junk" sitting around I built back in High school and college from 20-30 years ago. I recall seam lines as big as a womp-rat on those kits!

A friend of mine surprised me with a Bandai X-Wing for Christmas. It's a rather impressive kit. I decided to do something a little different and turned it into a racer. I figure everyone will make them look like the ones in the movie. I plan to build a couple more, I ordered 2 more kits and received them tonight. I ordered form Amazon but it took 3 weeks to get them. So don't stress if you don't get yours right away.

Kylo Ren comes across as a real baddy to start the movie, can stop a laser bolt in mid air until he decides to release it. However, he takes on not one but two untrained individuals wielding a light sabre and he can't just wipe them away. Sorry I don't buy it. Initially I liked the movie but the more I think about it I'm less impressed. The "wow" factor really didn't kick in like any of the original three movies (IV, V and VI). I wasn't impressed with JJ Abrams before and my opinion hasn't changed much. Hopefully he comes through in the next episode. In his interview with Charlie Rose, George Lucas wasn't too impressed either.

If George Lucas was "not impressed", I'll consider that a good thing.

As for the lack of wow factor, welcome to getting old :)

If it wasn't for George Lucas we wouldn't have the Star Wars universe that many of us know and love. Episodes IV, V, and VI are in my mind the movies all other Star Wars movies are measured by. But that's where it begins and ends with me regards GL. I have read things by him and said of him over the years that make me extremely glad that he has no more say in where the new writers take the "new" Star Wars universe. For him to be upset with Episode VII, as "Toadwbg" has already posted, is a good thing in my opinion. As I have posted many times I liked the movie. As a whole I did not like Episodes I, II, and III. There were aspects of them that I liked, but they are definitely the bottom three for me in terms of favorites.

I read the "Falling Stars" novel as well as all of the other "Before the Awakening" novels (including "Aftermath" :explode:) prior to seeing the movie and honestly reading them helped to make sense of where TFA was within the new universe. I am currently reading the novelization of TFA and even it gets into more detail then the movie and really puts the movie into perspective. I understand why they didn't release the novel before the movie but if they had, I think it would have helped people see the movie in a different light.

I am excited to see where Star Wars goes from here :woot.gif:! Episode VIII will be out in a little over a year, "Rogue One" this December, young Han Solo movies after that, and there is even strong speculation of a Bobba Fett and/or bounty hunters off shoot. Exciting times!

:cheers:

Don.

I actually went to see this - it was cheap tuesday and I was in the mood for a movie. I'm glad I did. I'd say this movie is light years ahead of the garbage that was recently put out. To be fair, I never saw episode 3. I only saw a bit of episode 2. After seeing the trainwreck that was episode 1, I just didn't see the point. Anyhow - my feeling that the further away lucas is from the actual film making and editing... the better. Likely why everyone loves Empire so much.

I saw the original SW in '77 and every episode thereafter. I am glad that Disney pried the franchise out of George Lucas' hands. Based on I-III I think the guy was loosing his marbles. The acting by the guy who played Anakin was atrocious.

One thing that stands out are Skywalkers are horrible at parenting...Anakin, Leia, maybe Luke. One theory along that line -maybe Rey and Ben are Luke's? Rey was sent to Jakku to be raised by? And Ben was sent to Hans and Leia to be raised as their own.

I like the theory that Luke is the Hologram. There is no bad or good in the Force - just light and dark. We keep hearing that there needs to be a balance in the universe. Hmmm. Seems like the movie is a triumph of moral relativism.

Kylo Ren comes across as a real baddy to start the movie, can stop a laser bolt in mid air until he decides to release it. However, he takes on not one but two untrained individuals wielding a light sabre and he can't just wipe them away. Sorry I don't buy it.

A lot of people are saying this, but at that point Ren has just killed his father, and been the only person pretty much ever to survive being hit with Chewie's bowcaster. Given that the fury-unleashing power of that weapon is pointedly demonstrated several times prior in the movie, it can be concluded that Ren is using a considerable amount of his willpower, concentration and force ability just to stay standing, and won't be at the top of his game either physically or mentally. He is also not fully trained, and may have never actually fought another lightsabre user before. Ren and Finn might not be lightsabre trained, but both are adept/have been trained in close combat. And Ren still wipes the floor with Finn, and only loses to Rey (possibly the most force sensitive individual yet seen in SW) when she fully embraces the force.

Given that context I really don't have an issue with the fight. One thing I like about TFA is that it doesn't explicitly lay things out, and leaves room for the viewer to deduce and speculate.

Edited by Mumbles

The acting by the guy who played Anakin was atrocious.

I think it's more the directing that was atrocious. Nobody really comes out of the prequel trilogy looking like good actors, when they actually are good actors.

The Huffpost article has been mentioned a few times, and I agree with the idea that it reads like it was written by someone who didn't actually watch the movie. This rebuttal shreds it on every point, and also calls out the smug hater culture (which is different from just expressing an opinion) it is part of. Signing in to facebook isn't required but it is a bit sweary in places, so if that bothers you don't read it:

Also:

"cannon" - thing you shoot at other things with.

"canon" - sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works and lore :)

Edited by Mumbles

The Huffpost article has been mentioned a few times, and I agree with the idea that it sounds like it was written by someone who didn't actually watch the movie. This rebuttal shreds it on every point, and also calls out the smug hater culture (which is different from just expressing an opinion) it is part of. Signing in to facebook isn't required but it is a bit sweary in places, so if that bothers you don't read it:

Also:

"cannon" - thing you shoot at other things with.

"canon" - sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works and lore :)/>/>

Read that whole rebutle piece-excellent! Worth the read.

The Huffpost article has been mentioned a few times, and I agree with the idea that it reads like it was written by someone who didn't actually watch the movie. This rebuttal shreds it on every point, and also calls out the smug hater culture (which is different from just expressing an opinion) it is part of....

That article was BRILLIANT! :thumbsup:

I've read both articles and they're both the epitome of what's awful about the Internet. THe Huff article is dumb and written to get clicks. This rebuttal is written by an overweight fanboy in his mothers basement. He talks down hateful writing on the Internet and then punches out a 5000 word hateful writing essay.

I've read both articles and they're both the epitome of what's awful about the Internet. THe Huff article is dumb and written to get clicks. This rebuttal is written by an overweight fanboy in his mothers basement. He talks down hateful writing on the Internet and then punches out a 5000 word hateful writing essay.

Exactly.

If you're a Star Wars fanboy, he makes sense.

If you're the average movie goer who just wants a couple of hours of entertainment, you want the movie to make sense.

"This rebuttal is written by an overweight fanboy in his mothers basement."

Speaking of hateful writing. . . :D

Exactly.

If you're a Star Wars fanboy, he makes sense.

If you're the average movie goer who just wants a couple of hours of entertainment, you want the movie to make sense.

Franchise movie made for fans of franchise, shocking I know. . . :D

The original huffpost article was lazy preconceived writing by someone who either didn't watch the movie or didn't pay attention to the movie they were watching. Most of the "40 plot holes" can be dismissed without needing to be a Star Wars fan.

Edited by Mumbles

I don't know that I would say those things about the authors, but I largely agree with the view of the articles. The Huff Post article clearly missed a lot of obvious things, and the rebuttal seemed to go out of its way to explain things, and made assumptions about things that weren't seen in the movie to fill in the holes. I don't think I'd rate either of them very highly.

and made assumptions about things that weren't seen in the movie to fill in the holes.

Assumptions based on what was seen in the movie and the original trilogy it references, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that - this is part one of a trilogy and I like that there are unanswered questions and set ups for the next installments. We seem to be getting into an era where for some viewers if something isn't explicitly and clunkily explained visually on screen or by otherwise unnecessary dialogue it's a "plot hole" and therefore "bad".

Edited by Mumbles

Based on what was seen in the movie and the original trilogy it references, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that - this is part one of a trilogy and I like that there are unanswered questions and set ups for the next installments. We seem to be getting into an era where for some viewers if something isn't explicitly and clunkily explained visually on screen or by otherwise unnecessary dialogue it's a "plot hole" and therefore "bad".

Agreed and furthermore this is exactly part of what was bad about the Prequels. Midicloreans anyone?

Assumptions based on what was seen in the movie and the original trilogy it references, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that - this is part one of a trilogy and I like that there are unanswered questions and set ups for the next installments. We seem to be getting into an era where for some viewers if something isn't explicitly and clunkily explained visually on screen or by otherwise unnecessary dialogue it's a "plot hole" and therefore "bad".

For me, someone guessing at an answer is not really a rebuttal, until you find out if the guess was right. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but we have no way of knowing, so what did he prove? Did Snoke use the force to tell Hux where Ren is? Who knows? I think a better rebuttal would be, who cares? I agree that stuff like that is not important enough to the story to warrant screen time, so the Huff Post article was stupid to bring it up, but trying to explain it with just a guess doesn't accomplish much. Granger does have some worthwhile counters, but there are definitely things that he's just making up. Both articles are painful to read, in my opinion.