P-3/EP-3/NP-3D Parking...

I scrolled on back a good number of pages and haven't come across a P-3 Orion Parking page, so I figure I'm as likely a person as anyone to start one. Enjoy

This NP-3D now resides out in the Boneyard. Modex number 341 remains the last of the "Billboard" P-3s out at Pt. Mugu.

11722292_947759878608198_3850843357065897476_o_zpsv2goje2h.jpg

Pakistani Navy P-3C, BuNo 159511, en route to Karachi via Pago Pago back in 2011. The vinyl sheet covers the Pakistani markings to keep us ICAO legal (?)...plus Australia would not grant a Pakistani aircraft permission to transit through their country. I believe this one was blown up by Taliban troops a few weeks after we dropped her off.

IMG_6552_zpsdaad1f91.jpgfree upload pictures

CONA P-3C

fberetroP3_9757.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Some EP-3Es. The current configuration has done away with the long antennas seen on the underside fuselage and wings of earlier EP-3s. They would break off frequently and were a source of a$$ pain to the avionics shop. The antennas are now consolidated into a grouping of smaller blade antennas on the underside.

IMG_4203_zps99a4f041.jpg

IMG_2919_zps91cccf9d.jpg

IMG_1402_zpsfc795f4a.jpg

Details;

IMG_9049_zpsbacec01f.jpg

IMG_9048_zpsf225e291.jpg

IMG_7809_zps66a23908.jpg

IMG_4254_zps89299c10.jpg

IMG_4241_zps331ee688.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Great shots Andrew, thanks for sharing.

Interesting note about the Pakistan P-3 transiting Australia.

I recall a couple of years ago we had one visiting here for the Royal Australian Navy's 100th birthday. it participated in fly overs and other activities.

Link

Edited by Trojan Thunder

That P-3A scheme would look very, very good on that Argus...

Always will have a soft spot for the P-3/CP-140, having years ago had a ride in a 407 Sqn Aurora. :)/>

I'd love to have an Argus in 1/72 to go with my P-3s. Gorgeous looking airplane.

P-3 weapons...what goes where??? Note, despite what the Hasegawa kit instructions might say, torpedoes are never carried externally!

01-75pac-1%20267_zpsdfkz9sun.png

01-75pac-1%20268_zpskidrcajq.png

01-75pac-1%20269_zpshg8y8deh.png

01-75pac-1%20260_zpsis8vl8eg.png

01-75pac-1%20263_zpscdy6sysy.png

AWW-13 Data Link Pod:

If you're going to build a P-3 with a SLAM-ER the aircraft requires a AWW-13 data link pod. Refer to chart for pylon configuration.

AWW-13_zps7jgvilj4.jpg

load_an_AN-AWW-13_Advanced_Data_Link_pod_from_a_weapons_pylon_on_a_P-3C_Orion_assigned_to_the_Tigers_to_Patrol_Squadron_Eigh_zps52e3ccd6.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Hi Andrew,

Just curious after seeing the weapons options on the P-3, was there ever any truth to the rumours in various books about the P-3 carrying AIM-9s, either in test or operationally?

Gary

Hi Andrew,

Just curious after seeing the weapons options on the P-3, was there ever any truth to the rumours in various books about the P-3 carrying AIM-9s, either in test or operationally?

Gary

I thought a "spook" P-3 mounted AIM-9's back in the 60's when it was flying near (over?) China? Rumors were that it actually got a kill but I have no idea if there is any truth to that.

Great pics Andrew, thanks for starting this thread. Got any interior shots?

Hi Andrew,

Gary

I'm pretty sure 11Bee is on point as far as carrying the AIM-9 goes, some spook birds maybe. I know of nothing official and as you see its not in the NATOPS.

Great pics Andrew, thanks for starting this thread. Got any interior shots?

Here's a few of the flight station. The "In Action" book generally covers the instrument panel and mission crew stations but for the rest of the flight station I think these would be helpful in detailing the Hasegawa kit;

Left side, aft bulkhead and Forward RADAR cabinet:

IMG_7545_zps4bf13096.jpg

IMG_7543_zpsc82634df.jpg

IMG_7544_zps1ec58359.jpg

Right side, Flight Engineer circuit breaker panel and Forward Electrical Load Center:

IMG_7541_zps14f8d64b.jpg

Note that the right side edge of the ckt brkr panel angles to meet the r/h edge of the flight station entrance way.

IMG_7542_zps79e55270.jpg

IMG_7546_zpsb19a96a3.jpg

I'm pretty sure 11Bee is on point as far as carrying the AIM-9 goes, some spook birds maybe. I know of nothing official and as you see its not in the NATOPS.

Thanks Andrew. I think Bee read the same piece that I did as what he said is what I recall reading. I guess we will never know about the more black side of things.

Gary

Thanks for the great interior shots Andrew. Any chance you can show the aft workstations or is that considered sensitive?

Did you guys keep parachutes on the aircraft?

I think I have a few shots of the aft Observer stations (seats where the bubble windows are) and of the crew rest area. Zerosystem has some nice shots there of the TACCO, NAV, and Sensor 1 and 2 stations as well as the flight station (I think the second and third photo is a KC-135 cockpit though...definitely a Boeing product :)).

Most of the mission birds I flew around in were LSRS or Naval Research platforms so I never took pics of the mission stations...just weren't allowed to at the time.

Edited by 82Whitey51

If you're going to build a P-3 with a SLAM-ER, Maverick or Harpoon, the aircraft requires a AWW-13 data link pod. Refer to chart for pylon configuration.

Not true, the pod is only required for SLAM-ER. Maverick and Harpoon can be fired using only internal electronics.

Hoops

Not true, the pod is only required for SLAM-ER. Maverick and Harpoon can be fired using only internal electronics.

Hoops

and technically you don't even need the pod to carry and shoot SLAM-ER on the P-3. Someone else with the pod can guide your weapon, but being the P-3 has so many stations...you typically will see a pod and weapon for a warshot or for exercise/practice.

Cheers

Collin