CD72050 - C-54 Thunderbirds

Kursad! I just found photos of the T-Bird C-54 with "City of Las Vegas" on the RIGHT side as well as the left. Of course they could have switched it from one side to the other, but I'm going with the likely hood it was on both sides at some point. So it's a good thing you provided two on the sheet!

(Re: "Diamond in the Sky," Carol Knotts & Pete Moore, pp. 156-157, Specialty Press, 1984)

Edited by Paul Boyer
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered my sheet, waiting with trepidation!

As Paul pointed out actually you need the inscription for both sides, so it is just as well that you provided two.

I hope you will like it - I spent a lot of time getting the shapes right and triple-checking everything to fit the Revell C-54 kit. You will find that many of the elements that need to fit a particular kit part will fit very well - the passenger windows (One would think the windows would be evenly spaced. But no, dear reader - nothing ever is so easy in a decal designer's life), rudder and stabilizer decorations etc. But you will need to do a fair amount of manual touch-ups and adjustments, and some color matching. I could only provide two small color samples on the sheet, but hopefully they will help in matching the colors.

This scheme is 50+ years old and there is surprisingly little documentation about it - I was able to glean some details from old films and the early 1980s Squadron-Signal book. There was some uncertainty about some aspects of the markings, but I will mention these in the instructions.

(*): Before anyone points out: yes, I know the "City of Las Vegas" inscription is only on one side of the aircraft. But it felt cruel to break up the symmetry of the sheet. ;-)

Thank you for the hint Paul: I already have the Warrior sheet for the first scheme but I didn't know they had done also the later one.

A couple of years back, Jennings announced that fündekals:) was going to do the later C-123B Thunderbird, but he has recently stated that there was not enough interest. Recently, Warbird has released both early and late versions. Sorry, I probably shouldn't be mentioning competing brands here in the Caracal department. :(/>