1/144 RC-135 Builds

Calling all RC fans. Anyone started on an RC conversion in 1/144 using the Minicraft KC-135 kit as a basis? This would be for any of the many RC-135 variants. Would like to compare notes and see what others are doing.

Don :salute:

Edited by Drifterdon

Paul Fisher is still working (slowly) on them. I'd hold off if I were you..

Too late. Already have the hog nose on my Rivet Amber and am working on the pods. May try to learn how to resin cast and do up several noses for the rest of the hog nosed siblings.

Exactly why I've started my own conversion work for the various "RC's". So far I've completed the hog nose for my Rivet Amber and have started work on the generator and heat exchanger pods. I plan to try and do up some cheek fairings but for some Rivet Joint/Combat Sent builds but that will take some work. I was hoping some other modelers might be doing the same and I could compare notes with them. I need to learn how to resin cast so I can make multiples of the hog nose conversion I did. I'm hoping to start an in progress thread on my Rivet Amber build I'm a bit photographically challenged.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents and Happy New Year. Don :thumbsup:/>/>

Don,

I've been corresponding with Densil of Welsh Models who currently offer three RC-135W conversions plus an A/Q and R in 1/144 scale for both USAF (J-57/TF-33/CFM-56) & RAF(CFM-56). An RC-135U is also planned. Densil is reworking TF-33 turbo hoods right now for the RC-135V/W as he only offered pylons without turbo hoods, thus making it a W, not a V. Here are some links:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/964233-welsh-models-cv-22-boeing-kc-135a-q-stratotanker-conversion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/964235-welsh-models-cv-23-boeing-rc-135w-airseeker-raf-conversion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/964236-welsh-models-cv-24-boeing-rc-135w-stratotanker-cfm-56-conversion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/964237-welsh-models-cv-25-boeing-rc-135w-stratotanker-tf-33-conversion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/964238-welsh-models-cv-26-boeing-kc-135r-stratotanker-cfm-56-conversion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/964535-welsh-models-cv-xx-boeing-rc-135u-stratotanker-engine-tbd-conversion

I think his RC-135V/W cheeks are the newer E-Systems ones, not the older Martin/LTV cheeks.

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

The RC-135W never had Martin cheeks. They pioneered the E-Systems cheeks.

My apologies to Jennings. I oversimplified my comment. Regarding all things C-135, he is, of course, correct!

For everyone else, take a look at the links for more details as to "what is in the box." I only wish to point out that what Densil calls a RC-135V/W conversion is in fact correct for the CFM-56 set only, but incorrect for the TF-33 set. Anyway, he is reworking the turbo hoods for a RC-135V and the planned RC-135U. I also asked him to provide the earlier shorter cheeks in the RC-135U set so that modelers could have the widest range of options and also pointed out that he might sell more sets. I'm already in for several sets once he fixes the turbo hoods. "In for a Penny, in for a Pound! Wink, wink; nudge, nudge; know what I mean? know what I mean?"

I think I can deal with the Minicraft KC-135E & R kits as is. I haven't seen the KC-135A or EC-135C kits yet, so can't comment on engines or antennae accuracy. By swapping turbo hoods among my many KC-135E kits, I was able to make several three hooded ones, a couple of two hooded ones, and two, no-hooded ones, ala: C-135B & WC-135B. What I would really like is a set decals for KC-135s during the colorful mid1970s-1980s, both active USAF KC-135A/Q/Rs and ANG/AFRES KC-135A/Es. MAC & WEATHER bands would be a plus and a sheet of all the test birds would be nice too, eventually. Welsh included 7 colorful markings in their vacuform 1/144 KC-135A/Q kit #MT1 and I will use most. Caracal's imminent release of their excellent 1/72 KC-135R sheet in 1/144 is a HUGE first step, at least for the R. BTW, I've seen the Michigan bird in person and it is quite nice. While I won't build it in 1/72, I will definitely do it in 1/144.

R/

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Unfortunately the TF33s in the MC kit are pretty awful. The fan cowlings are far too long and not shaped right, nor are the t/c hoods over them. Paul Fisher has done TF33s that are a dramatic improvement.

Don,

I've been corresponding with Densil of Welsh Models who currently offer three RC-135W conversions plus an A/Q and R in 1/144 scale for both USAF (J-57/TF-33/CFM-56) & RAF(CFM-56). An RC-135U is also planned. Densil is reworking TF-33 turbo hoods right now for the RC-135V/W as he only offered pylons without turbo hoods, thus making it a W, not a V.

I think his RC-135V/W cheeks are the newer E-Systems ones, not the older Martin/LTV cheeks.

HTH,

Dutch

Hey Dutch,

Thanks for the reply. Yah, I have two of the RC-135W conversion sets with TF33 and one with the CFM56. I love their decals and just ordered the KC-135A/Q update set with an extra set of decals. They come with all the correct high vis emergency/crew entry hatch outlines as well as all the walkways, stars and bars and USAF/US Air Force markings. Included with the USAF Rivet Joint sets are specific decals with OF tail codes and ACC and 55 Wg badges. I used the resin hog nose on my Rivet Amber but had to really file it back to make it fit. As for the cheek fairings, they seem a tad too long but I can cut them down to make them fit when I build my Rivet Joint.

As Jennings pointed out, the engines in the Minicraft kit need help. The engines from Welsh Models are pretty good but they lack any surface detail so you would need to scribe or mask and paint. Fishers are pretty good but need some cleaning up on the bottom. The T/C hoods are the best of anyone.

Will definitely keep my eyes open for Densil's RC-135U. I started a "U" conversion years ago using the old Revell kit but gave up on it. Still have the chin and tail fairing around here somewhere.

Edited by Drifterdon

Unfortunately the TF33s in the MC kit are pretty awful. The fan cowlings are far too long and not shaped right, nor are the t/c hoods over them. Paul Fisher has done TF33s that are a dramatic improvement.

Jennings,

You are right that the MC TF-33s need help. I have doctored so many Revell TF-33s from their E-3 AWACS/707 onto the KC-135 kits that I thought I could make do, but now you have me concerned. I was unaware of Paul Fisher's work until this post. Where can I get several sets? Is he still producing them?

R/Dutch

A question please, the KC-135A/Q were the ones specifically earmarked for SR-71 work correct? The reason I ask is that I remember seeing then at Rickenbacker AFB so many years ago and they looked great. So nice and clean. I thought they were simple KC-135s but our guide during our tour told us that they were the KC-135Q variant but I am not sure he knew. Maybe another indicator was the guard on the tarmac with the M-16 and I could not take any pictures of them :)

Have to go check out that Welsh Models set. Is there anything equivalent in 1/72nd?

Edited by skyhawk174

A question please, the KC-135A/Q were the ones specifically earmarked for SR-71 work correct? The reason I ask is that I remember seeing then at Rickenbacker AFB so many years ago and they looked great. So nice and clean. I thought they were simple KC-135s but our guide during our tour told us that they were the KC-135Q variant but I am not sure he knew. Maybe another indicator was the guard on the tarmac with the M-16 and I could not take any pictures of them :)/>

Have to go check out that Welsh Models set. Is there anything equivalent in 1/72nd?

AMT did a 1/72 KC-135A with the J57 engines. It's re-released under the Italeri and Heller brands and can still be found on ebay and Amazon. The 135Q was the tanker that supported the SR-71. As far as I know, there were no external differences, just internally with the fuel tanks. Not sure why you couldn't take any pictures unless there was something else they didn't want you to photograph. Of course, SAC was real funny about folks taking pics of their planes back in the day.

Dutch,

Here is a link to Fisher Model and Design. The engines are still being produced and he also is making a replacement nose that corrects the messed up windshield in the Minicraft kit. http://fishermodels.indiemade.com/store

One other external feature of the Q/T's, was a spotlight that was mounted in the empennage of the jet, that was controlled by the boom operator via thumb switch on the stick. Those sticks were actually the same grip from the F-4 and the light switch was the former trim button. Outside, it looked like a little plexiglass window. Later on, these were deactivated and faired over.

-Jeff