1/144 RC-135 Builds

I have (or rather, had) thousands of pages of illustrated parts breakdowns, and there are no dimensions given for things like windshield panels. There was no need to publish dimensional data for individual parts. You'd need the original Boeing engineering drawings. The USAF was only interested in the part number. Unless you know someone who can put a tape measure on the real thing, you're not likely to find precise dimensions.

Ordered me some of Paul Fisher's KC-135E nose & engine sets last night! OOOOrah!

Cool beans Dutch. You won't regret the decision. I have a half dozen of the noses and have even used one on a Minicraft 707 (with slight alterations of course). I plan to use his engines with the T/C humps removed for my 1/144 Rivet Amber. Can't wait to see his J57 engines.

800cb0cc-e463-4984-8607-1c0375a4c50a_zpswknsr86p.jpg

So here are a couple pics of my 1/144 Rivet Amber. I used the hognose from the Welsh Models Rivet Joint conversion set. It's a bit large but can be filed/sanded down to size. I replaced the windshield with one from the Revell 737 kit. This was before Paul Fisher had finished his resin 135 replacement.

Port20Amber20Hognose_zpsqt6uc6en.jpg

Still need to prime and refine but once done, I plan to try and cast a few in resin for later RC projects.

Here are a couple shots of the engines I've been working on for the 1/144 Rivet Amber. The first are the reworked engines from the KC-135 kit. I hated the way Minicraft designed the turbine blades so I cut out the ring inside and added blades and bullet fairing from Minicraft 707 JT3D's. The outer cowlings are still a little anemic but the overall look is better. I also reworked the pylons #2 and #3 to remove the T/C hood.

Minicraft20Engines20fan20area_zpscsdtcja2.jpg

The second set of engines are from Paul Fisher and have better cowls but the turbine bullet needed to be replaced. The ones provided in the kit were out of round so I cut the noses off 1/48 5" HVAR rockets I had in the parts bin and added. Like the Minicraft kit, I also had to remove the T/C hoods from inner pair of engines. The great thing about Paul Fishers engines is they fit right up to the mounting point on the wing with no gaps or problems. The pair in the pic are the outer engines.

Completed20Fisher20TF33s_zps7kxukykj.jpg

These are the generator and heat exchanger pods that hung between the #2 and #3 engines and the fuselage. The generator was actually driven by a Lycoming T55 engine. It's on the left. The heat exchanger is to the right and still has quite a bit of work still left to go.

Baby20Pods_zpskkwcehlb.jpg

Here is a comparison with their 1/72 big brothers I made awhile back.

Big20Brother20and20Little20Sisters_zpsujl08grx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool beans Dutch. You won't regret the decision. I have a half dozen of the noses and have even used one on a Minicraft 707 (with slight alterations of course). I plan to use his engines with the T/C humps removed for my 1/144 Rivet Amber. Can't wait to see his J57 engines.

My Fisher Models 1/144 TF-33/JT-3D engines arrived yesterday! All I can say is they are SWEET! Not cheap, but SWEET! Haven't dry fitted them yet, but will definitely order more for my remaining KC-135E's. BIG improvement over the kit engines. Thanks for the tip! Now we need 1/144 C-135 decals (all marks & timeframes).

R/

Dutch

Now we need 1/144 C-135 decals (all marks & timeframes).

You got that right Dutch. Can't wait for Caracals to release his. I have a couple of the Welsh Models sheets that came with the RC-135 Rivet Joint conversions. Just wish they were available for purchase without having to buy the conversion set (pricey).

Edited by Drifterdon

You got that right Dutch. Can't wait for Caracals to release his. I have a couple of the Welsh Models sheets that came with the RC-135 Rivet Joint conversions. Just wish they were available for purchase without having to buy the conversion set (pricey).

Don, have you approached Welsh about decals only? I asked them about some 1/72 P-8 decals from their second issue of the kit which they were happy to sell to me separately

• 1 month later...

So I've been trying to learn how to resin cast. Low and behold, Lisa Ann had babies! Look, a whole passle of baby hog noses.

IMG_0689_zpskk9f9dgv.jpg

I used one of them to start my RC-135S, Rivet Ball. The Mother of All Balls!

IMG_0692_zpsnyhxwta5.jpg

Rivet Ball met her fate a couple months before Amber by hydroplaning down the runway on Shemya and sliding off the end, down an embankment, breaking her back, ripping off landing gear and an engine. Miraculously, there were no injuries or loss of life.

Here is an updated shot of Amber with her wings on.

IMG_0690_zpsuofaupfb.jpg

Edited by Drifterdon

I was also able to find the old Revell KC-135 that I was using to convert in to Combat Sent. I removed the chin fairing and tail fairing, cleaned and updated them and started a RC-135U in 1/144. I'm still working on cheek fairing and have yet to finalize a time frame of how I want her to look which will dictate which fairings to use and what engines I want to put on her. I'm leaning on a current version. Or I could try my hand at casting another nose and tail fairing then I can do early and late. Decisions, decisions.....

IMG_0697_zpspy8bt9ax.jpg

IMG_0694_zpsknjzq3rx.jpg

Tail Fairing....

IMG_0695_zpscpbw06pw.jpg

IMG_0698_zpstjrksufw.jpg

Wow, Don.

Your scratch building and resin casting skills are most impressive!

I was wondering, is anyone making/ or has anybody done a photoetched fret in brass for things like -135 series blade antennae, pitot probes, AOA vanes, TAT probes, etc? I'd think photo etch would be the perfect medium to work with in 1/144th scale. One big fret could possibly cover the entire -135 blade antennae family...

Keep posting pics; i am enjoying the progression. And your RC-135E Generator and Heat exchanger pods are awesome!

david

Thanks David. Like Jennings said, there isn't much out there as far as aftermarket. Paul Fisher has done updated TF-33 engines and the new nose that corrects MC wonky windshield. Welsh Models has done up a conversion for the Rivet Joints but they a bit off dimension wise. Everything is a tad too large. I had to cut down the nose a lot to get it to fit and all the filing, filling and sanding to get the proper shape took forever. That's why I decided to cast up a bunch of extra hog noses. And a photo etched fret of antennas for the Rivet Joints, Cobra Balls, and Combat Sents would be killer.

Don, that's kind of the answer i was expecting. Unfortunately i don't have the time or the skillz to bring the concept to reality. So, aside from being a really good idea, no value added here by me. I will watch your builds with continued interest.

david