1/144 RC-135 Builds

• 2 weeks later...

So as I was working on my KC-135R (in addition to all the Recce birds) I discovered this little part on the sprue containing the CFM-56 engines. Part #128. It's not on the instructions but it looks vagely familiar. Then the lightbulb in my fat head went off and I realized it's the intake for the other A/C pack that goes under the starboard side. I ended up using it on my RC-135U and it takes some work to get it to fit right. Not sure which is easier, using this part or just cutting and filing and sanding like I did with Amber. Pics to show what I'm talking about.

IMG_0701_zpstxjj1grp.jpg

IMG_0700_zpsdhwqsk1p.jpg

IMG_0699_zpsew5lifcq.jpg

The angle of the pic makes the opening look smaller that it is but it is the same as whats on the port side (molded with the fuselage). I wish Minicraft had provided some kind of an outline that shows what to cut out before this is glued in place. I just started hacking with a saw and knife and got a bit excited. CA to the rescue.

Here's an update on Amber. She's got her tail feathers on and nose gear. I ended up snapping the HF antenna off the top of the tail so I'll need to replace that. I plan to wait till most other assembly this just begs to get snagged and bent or broken. Did the same thing to my KC-135R but was able to save it.

IMG_0704_zpstrf59aw8.jpg

Here is a teaser for my RC-135C. These went on to become the RC-135U Combat Sents and RC-135V Rivet Joints.

IMG_0703_zpsoggiwajf.jpg

If you look to the left of the photo, you'll see that I also carved and sanded the A/C pack intake rather than use part 128.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, since I am wanting to build a whole fleet of RC-135's I decided it would require I learn a new skill set. So I've since learned the basics of resin casting but have a long way to go before I can get anywhere near where I'd like to be. For now I'm able to chunk out the basic shape but since I don't have a vacuum chamber or pressure pot, I have bubbles, bubbles and even more bubbles. Some parts I'm able to salvage while others need to get filed away in the circular bin. I posted an earlier pic of the hog noses I was able to do up for all my other RC builds. Here is a shot of some of the other pieces parts I've been able to reproduce to help make the builds a little easier.

IMG_0751_zpsbjddnudh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on my Big Team RC-135C. Not much but it's coming along.

IMG_0764_zpsp6mcos6w.jpg

Cheek fairings still need to be worked out to match each other and blended into the fuselage.

I'll use the resin TF-33's engines from Paul Fisher. The T/C hoods are the best.

Here are a couple shots of my start on the RC-135M Rivet Card. Pretty basic bird with just hog nose, ventral antenna in place of boomers pod and the antennas at the aft end in front of the horizontal tailplanes. I'll use the updated kit TF-33's for this one. No T/C humps to worry about.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/drifterdon/IMG_0753_zpsrlhqtvzj.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/drifterdon/IMG_0719_zpsunjsfegt.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/drifterdon/IMG_0718_zps9atu6iom.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/drifterdon/IMG_0767_zpsxrbyvmpf.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Edited by Drifterdon

You know Don, since IPMS Nationals are in Omaha next year, you should consider getting the fleet done and entering it as a collection. I know it would be a very popular group of subjects around here.

Seconded.

Rick L.

• 1 month later...

couple of minor updates on Rivet Card. Decided this will be 4139 as seen below.

RC-135M%2001%20Combat%20Apple%2062-4139%20in%201970_zps51pra13d.jpg

I just have one major question though and that is does anyone know what color the engine panels were painted? They look to be dirty white or a very light grey.

IMG_0807_zpszorebdpx.jpg

IMG_0806_zpsobouv4uo.jpg

IMG_0808_zpsikpoukpw.jpg

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 1 year later...

Hey all.   Brushing off this old thread.   Is everyone seeing the in progress pics I've posted or does the dreaded "photobucket 3rd party hosting" image show?   I'm seeing all my pics but then I still have a photobucket account which would explain why I'm seeing the images.  

Don