Falcon20Driver,

Just got a similar email from my brother as his 1/32 scale Meteor Fisher Conversion is wearing him down, and he's in the final stages of the build. Decaling sounds like a great solution to stabilize your mojo and get refocused.

Joel

I've been using your builds as inspiration hammer, they're stunning! On a positive note, an ARC member has graciously offered the needed tail art. Once again ARC proves to be full of awesome people. I noticed Aerobonus now has seated F-14 pilots. I'm thinking of getting the Aires pit and putting them in it. I'll have to check my budget but hopefully that'll solve the horrible Has cockpit.

I've been using your builds as inspiration hammer, they're stunning! On a positive note, an ARC member has graciously offered the needed tail art. Once again ARC proves to be full of awesome people. I noticed Aerobonus now has seated F-14 pilots. I'm thinking of getting the Aires pit and putting them in it. I'll have to check my budget but hopefully that'll solve the horrible Has cockpit.

The Aerobonus presents the new F-14 pilots with lots of mistakes,the pilots' bodies are the same with their F-4 pilots ,wrong suits and helmets and the right seats,I suggest you ignore them.

Great looking Hoover! Keep up the project! There are a few cheats that make the Hasegawa cockpit go together and fit better. It's molded ok but the instructions are where it's screwed up. I don't have that exact S-3 sheet but I do have VS-33 CAG and 701 sheets from the end of the squadron...

Damn, was so looking forward to the Aerobonus F-14 pilots set. They screwed that up completely. Looks good but if accuracy matters, it's not worth it. Those helmets I'm guessing are supposed to be HGU-33 (they look like older Air Force helmets tho). For the B, the fleet had already switched to the HGU-55 so this set can't be used for an F-14B. The survival gear isn't representative of anything post Vietnam so that's out. And they molded the O2 mask in the pouch on the chest. That has to be cut away and re-sculpted so you can scratchbuild a face 02 mask. Or ditch the head and use a Hasegawa Super Hornet head. Better yet, skip this set entirely - and just use a Hasegawa SuperHornet pilot on the Quickboost seat. I really hope Aerobonus starts doing NAVY/AF pilots standing and seated that are 'modern'. Or at least post 1970s...

Thanks for the information Hammer and Brian. It is a shame they screwed up those pilots, they look cool. I'll probably hammer away at the provided cockpit and pilots. I have accomplished a few items on the Viking. I applied the walkway and painted the area around the cockpit. For the walkway I dabbed some Mr Surfacer 500 on before painting to provide a little texture. I think it'll really pop when I apply some pastels to weather some more. I also went ahead and applied the formation light decals and the tail number decals. I think the Aeromaster decals are really reactant to water more than others I normally use. I dipped the tail numbers in water for a very brief couple of seconds and they went down much better. I'm gonna chalk the tail snafu up as a learning lesson. I should have used Fighter Town decals!

20160226_173016_zpsnkemgdyf.jpg

20160226_173026_zps3rolvcwh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone in the Dallas metroplex heard a loud string of curse words this morning I apologize. I tried applying the new decals for the tail and they came apart before they were even off the backing paper!! Now I know it's not me. The other decals I've applied have gone down fine, but the tail ones keep coming apart. #$@!^

So, before I throw this Viking into a wall I'm switching plans for the tail. I found a picture of what appears to be the same aircraft with a big lowviz screwbird painted on the tail. I'm attempting to cut a tape pattern to paint the darn thing on. Past that I'm outa ideas.

Aftermarket, Aeromaster sheet. What's weird is none of the other ones from that sheet have had issues. I'm cutting the patterns for painting now and hopefully I can airbrush it on Monday.

F20D,

You should email or PM Aeromaster about the issues you had with their decals. I'm willing to bet that they would replace the sheet for you.

Joel

Joel, a very kind member here sent my replacement tail markings. Those also crumbled, so for some reason those specific tail markings come apart. Two separate sheets did it, which is quite strange.

F20D,

Very strange. Even more of a reason to get in touch with Aeromaster and let them know about that issue.

Joel

If anyone in the Dallas metroplex heard a loud string of curse words this morning I apologize. I tried applying the new decals for the tail and they came apart before they were even off the backing paper!! Now I know it's not me. The other decals I've applied have gone down fine, but the tail ones keep coming apart. #$@!^

So, before I throw this Viking into a wall I'm switching plans for the tail. I found a picture of what appears to be the same aircraft with a big lowviz screwbird painted on the tail. I'm attempting to cut a tape pattern to paint the darn thing on. Past that I'm outa ideas.

Man I thought I had bad luck, WTF ??!!

Steve

I guess I should not have built the "Screwbirds" plane, because it's been trying to screw me over constantly. However, I have finally won this battle!

20160313_144818_zps3aq2e2k0.jpg

Now I'll let it dry, and over the week try getting down more of the other decals and hope they don't cause even more issues.

Thanks guys. I was angry and just wanted it painted so I didn't take any masked pictures. I printed out the squadron emblem. Then I cut out the screwbird. After that, I put down some Tamiya masking tape on the cutting board, set the cutout on that tape, then taped it down with a second layer. I cut around them emblem with an exacto and presto, a paint mask.

Thanks guys! I'm happy to post a completed Viking. There are some stupid mistakes and building boo boos, but all things considered I'm very happy. It is my first attempt at an inflight build, which means first attempt at open intakes as well. I gained a little knowledge that will hopefully help the Bombcat come out looking good. I think I'm going to finish my two starfighters before really digging into the Cat, but who knows!?

20160316_122421-1_zpsaozkphzs.jpg

20160316_122432-1_zpsr43xb3gs.jpg

20160316_122646-1_zpsmmagkmov.jpg

20160316_122656-1_zps5t3pis6f.jpg

Thanks for the support from everyone, hopefully you'll stick around for the Bombcat build.