1/48 Monogram Mig-15

I am looking for any info on how well the old 1/48 Monogram Mig-15 kit builds up. I can deal with the raised panel lines no problem.

What I want to know is how bad are ejector pin marks on the gear doors, bays flaps etc. These are tough to fix in these areas for me.

If possible, could you also post pics of the "Pin" marks in these areas so I can see how bad they are? (This would be a BIG help!!) Most of the sprue shots I have seen only show the "flat" side of these parts, so I can't see where the ejector pin marks are or how bad they are.

If anyone has this kit in the box, and can post pics of these areas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

It's been a while since I built that kit, but I recall there being relatively few ejector pin marks of any great consequence on the insides of the gear doors or flaps.

However, I recall the main wheels each having a couple of ejector pin marks on their backsides that required a bit of elbow grease and finesse to clean up well. Though I think you can cut your work down by hiding those behind the door that attaches to the main gear leg and covers most of the wheel backside.

The most difficult ejector pins to clean up were on the inside surfaces of the airbrakes. However, there is absolutely no detail on the inside surfaces of the airbrake doors so you can go a bit rougher in removing the pin marks on them if you plan to build them in the closed position.

A more challenging aspect of the kit for me was adjusting how it sat. Compared to how the actual MiG-15 sits at a bit of a tail down attitude, the Monogram kit sits quite level when built from the box.

There's also the matter that it measures closer to 1/50 scale than 1/48.

I'm not sure how much the latter two points will bug you; the scale thing will only jump out if you plan to park it next to one of the more modern MiG-15 kits which are to true 1/48 scale.

I hope that helps

It's been a while since I built that kit, but I recall there being relatively few ejector pin marks of any great consequence on the insides of the gear doors or flaps.

However, I recall the main wheels each having a couple of ejector pin marks on their backsides that required a bit of elbow grease and finesse to clean up well. Though I think you can cut your work down by hiding those behind the door that attaches to the main gear leg and covers most of the wheel backside.

The most difficult ejector pins to clean up were on the inside surfaces of the airbrakes. However, there is absolutely no detail on the inside surfaces of the airbrake doors so you can go a bit rougher in removing the pin marks on them if you plan to build them in the closed position.

A more challenging aspect of the kit for me was adjusting how it sat. Compared to how the actual MiG-15 sits at a bit of a tail down attitude, the Monogram kit sits quite level when built from the box.

There's also the matter that it measures closer to 1/50 scale than 1/48.

I'm not sure how much the latter two points will bug you; the scale thing will only jump out if you plan to park it next to one of the more modern MiG-15 kits which are to true 1/48 scale.

I hope that helps

i don't know for the scale... but it's larger, in every aspect, than the trumpeter or the tamiya MiG-15. the monogram MiG-15 is also way-way-waaaayyyy "chubbier"... a bit like a cartoon cigar. (unlike the others that are more cylindrical)

I think I have built the Monogram kit somehwere in late 70's. Still have the pilot figure somewhere in the spare box but the airframe is somewhere deep in a box of "once was kits".

If I were you the Tamiya kit is the one to go for!

Best regards

Gabor