Su-30MKK vs Su-30M2

Hi Flanker Fans,

I am daydreaming about future projects while on vacation, the Su-30 M2 has caught my attention. Seems I should be able to build this pretty easily in 1/32 from the Trumpeter Su-30 MKK kit (barring the general updates required for the MKK itself like flat-topped front gear well), am I right?

Also, I have read that Trumpeter has the correct nose shape with this kit so the Zacto nose job isnt needed like it is for the Su-27, can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

I asked this very question a while ago (dreaming of the same project). According to the resident Flankerphiles it's all good. The tooling for the nose cone and intakes is updated in the Su-30 Trumpeter although not as crisp as the Zacto parts. I'm still tossing up whether to invest in them.

I'm planning on doing Red 10. I'll wait till you start yours for some tips! :)

EDIT: I found the thread. <<CLICK>>

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Thx guys!

Good to hear Trumpeter sorted out the radome. I know they did try to correct the intakes but I would very definitely invest in the Zacto intakes, the are beautifully and seamlessly done whereas the corrected Trumpeter intakes have a section of the compresspr shaved off, plus the leading edges of the intakes dont look as crisp and straight as the Zacto parts imo. I would also go for the Pitz Models exhausts again, or maybe try the North Star models set since the Pitz Models sets seem to be hard to come by.

:cheers:

Marcel

Ken,

To answer your question on the vertical tails, I havent yet bought the kit, I usually stock up on critical aftermarket goodies but wait for the purchase of the actual kit.

From what I have superficially seen on the web, the rudders look to have been correctly done down to the base. However, the tails dont look as tall as they maybe should, the chord at the top of the tails seems to be longer than on the real thing. Hard to fix, since adding a bit of flying surface to the top to reduce wingtip chord will screw up other proportions. Anyways that is armchair conjecture at this point and besides, with Trumpeter kits you have to have a "good enough" approach to accuracy.

I have at least two projects to do before I actually engage this... but I did order the Northstar exhaust set, so now I am committed.

:cheers:

Marcel