1/48 Kinetic Model Su-33 In Box Review

Google found this image :- http://i.imgur.com/eafBF.jpg

Ken

Ken;

That's not the J-15 HUD, - I think this may be a J-11 cockpit - and this pic is captioned thus on some sites, FWIW. Color in this pic is hard to determine - should be a Shenyang blue-grey, not a Sukhoi blue-green-grey

Looking at a lot of J-15 pics on the web, my guess is the color is "probably" likely to be similar to the late Shenyang J-8 II

J-8F_cockpit

J-15_cockpit

This is probably a J-8DF ( D mod. to F standard w. early seat )

J-8DF

And one of the J-15 "primer" prototypes - useless for color, but see the HUD reflection in pilot's visor

J-15 pilot

Edited by falcon04

Google found this image :- http://i.imgur.com/eafBF.jpg

Ken

Ken;

I've gone thru my photo library, and I believe this to be the front cockpit of a PLANAF Xian JH-7 - the giveaway are the unique bolt/screw caps on the inside of the windshield frame. This has been misidentified as a J-11. Enlarge and look closely at these pics.

JH-7

JH-7 a

Would be nice to have a 1:48 kit of this !

Edited by falcon04

A good shot of the bungee-like chord connecting the seat headrest to the canopy - part of the seat arming mechanism I think?

Gabor?

Note also the white aerial(?) on the top surface of the wing in the background - just to the rear of the L/E slat.

This is a recent addition to the J-15.

And..... the lovely PINK tie-down chains :woot.gif:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

A good shot of the bungee-like chord connecting the seat headrest to the canopy - part of the seat arming mechanism I think?

Gabor?

Note also the white aerial(?) on the top surface of the wing in the background - just to the rear of the L/E slat.

This is a recent addition to the J-15.

And..... the lovely PINK tie-down chains :woot.gif:/>

Ken

Why does the nice anti-corrosion stuff on the chains and the windshield caulking (see Mig-31) have to be in pink? LOL!!! Purple....now there is a color it should have come in.

Gabor?

Ken

Hi Ken,

The K-36 DM is (was) not designed to eject through the canopy which is 9mm thick plexi glass. Only some of the new versions of the seat have the ability to brake canopy and go through the canopy depending on the type of aircraft it is fitted to.

The seat in Su-27 and most of the sub types is the earlier design so it will fire only after the canopy is jettisoned. The safety line you see attached to the right hand side of the headrest (and the canopy at the other end) is the one which arms the seat. Here on the Su-27/33 the line links directly to the canopy behind it. If I remember right on the MiG-29 the line goes all the way to the other side and here it is hidden under a textile (earlier artificial leather) cover.

The arming line is never reproduced on kits just as the Remove Before Flight safety pin line and warning notice. They are always fitted to live seats in aircraft prepared for flight or on static. Of course this is true of ALL ejection seats no matter if in a Western or Eastern type of aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this is of help.

Best regards

Gabor

• 1 year later...

I got my Kinetic Su-33 kit yesterday. I have to say I have not seen better details in the kit before. Not just that, the quality of mould is nothing short of what you would expect and get from A-list kit manufacturers. 

The instructions however leave a lot to be desired. I have downloaded their wire image pdf instructions from Kinetic website and even that version has some issues like numbering and labeling of parts trees. 

The kit seems to be short of two pylons that could be fitted underneath the intakes. Also, it seems Kinetic could have included another pair of R-27s and its not such a big ask looking at how steep the kit price is.

If I want to install those under intake pylons, which one will those be?