Eastern Front Group Build

Eastern Front GB  

32 members have voted

1. 1. I'm in

• Yes
    • No

In another thread it looks like there is interest in an a Eastern Front GB. June will be the 75th anniversary of Barbarossa so it seems fitting to have a GB dedicated to that front. I've never ran a GB but will for this one.

General rules are anything that operated on the Eastern Front, planes, tanks, trucks, etc. I'll also include Finland in there since they were fighting the Soviets as well.

I'd be in. Have a few ideas in mind... Lydia Litvyak's Yak-1 White 02 in which she scored her first kill... is there a Yak-1b in 1/48? If so... White 23 in which Litvyak got her last kill... Mariya Dolina's Pe-2... quite a few other Soviet possibilities for me, too. Is there an RWD 13 in 1/48? Mariana Dragescu flew the ambulance version on the Eastern Front. Maybe a Hungarian Stuka? Anyways quite a few possibilites for me here!

Accurate Miniatures did a Yak-1b I think Eduard has a boxing of it. Zvezda has their new Pe-2, and there is a resin RWD 13.

Modelsvit also did their own Yak-1/1B, it comes with a couple of nice decal schemes as well.

I am pretty excited about some of ICM's newer releases. I can't wait to get my hands in one or two of their I-153s. Might make a nice dio scene with a few of the UM trucks.

The Amtech Hs 123 is a fun kit with the very nice Black Box cockpit and the unspatted landing gear. I built one a couple years ago and it is challenging but looks good complete. The kit decals are really nice too. I have a couple more but only had one set of the new landing gear since it was a set of three bagged kits on eBay. The next one I build will be Chinese and I'm considering it for the Far East GB.

Modelsvit also did their own Yak-1/1B, it comes with a couple of nice decal schemes as well.

I have the South Front Yak-1 about half-way finished, I believe that's a reboxing of the Modelsvit kit. Nice kit but needs some work. Can anyone chime in on what the Accurate Miniatures kit is like?

I will probably do a couple. I've got the really nice Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34 and I haven't actually finished a tank since high school 20+ years ago. The Zvezda Pe-2 looks really good and I have a half dozen ICM Yak-7 and 9 kits from years ago when they were just a few dollars a piece.

I have the South Front Yak-1 about half-way finished, I believe that's a reboxing of the Modelsvit kit. Nice kit but needs some work. Can anyone chime in on what the Accurate Miniatures kit is like?

I am not sure that the South Front and ModelSvit kits are related. I have never had the south front kit but i can attest that that the Modelsvit one is very nice in the box and i have heard positive things from those than have actually built it. It is regarded to be more accurate than the AM kit too.

...What timeframe are we looking at?

I am pretty sure that its anything Eastern Front from the time of the opening shots until the fall of Berlin I would imagine.

Don't have much in the way of native VVS aircraft but have a lot of lend lease types that could be done with a decal sheet, armor wise at this point I am kinda leaning towards a Tamiya SU-85.

I have always loved the sleek sexy lines of the Pe-2 and the HobbyBoss kit is said to be simple and fun, but also intrigued by the winged beer-barrel look of the I-16. For all of the reasons above I voted yes.

Don't have much in the way of native VVS aircraft but have a lot of lend lease types that could be done with a decal sheet, armor wise at this point I am kinda leaning towards a Tamiya SU-85.

I have always loved the sleek sexy lines of the Pe-2 and the HobbyBoss kit is said to be simple and fun, but also intrigued by the winged beer-barrel look of the I-16. For all of the reasons above I voted yes.

Eduards I-16 is pretty good and the weekend editions are fairly cheap.

There are a ton of Lend Lease options. B-25, A-20, P-39, P-40, P-63, Spitfire, etc. P-40s are my favorite aircraft but out of the 5 I have built I don't have a VVS one so I may add one of them.

Eduards I-16 is pretty good and the weekend editions are fairly cheap.

There are a ton of Lend Lease options. B-25, A-20, P-39, P-40, P-63, Spitfire, etc. P-40s are my favorite aircraft but out of the 5 I have built I don't have a VVS one so I may add one of them.

All great Ideas! Speaking of Eduard I just remembered I have the Profipack boxing of the Airacobra that has several decal options including one or two Russian options.

Looking around the stash today I found a 1/35 Dragon T-34/85 kit that comes with Soviet infantry riders that my wife gave me last Christmas. I am thinking a small diorama...Berlin streets in the closing days of the war. Right now that's at the top of my list. Lots to choose from.