As it is Christmas of course on one of the TV channels last night they had “Love actually”. I like the film with all its obvious and hidden plots, have seen it many time before and always noticed that there is one song in the soundtrack but somehow it was different. The voice was fantastic but still it was not the same to what I was used to. It’s the “Songbird” by Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie singing it on the original record (Rumours, all time favorite LP). In the film the song was just as good but a bit different and not the unmistakable voice of McVie.

Had a look on the net and it is Eva Cassidy singing Songbird in the film. I did not know anything about her till now. A tragic story! Fantastic voice and such an untimely death at 33. It is interesting that this version was used in the film. Like it! Just another plot in the background of the film.

Best regards

Gabor

so I've never heard of this movie (was busy doing the family thing during those years)...but I'm curious to watch it.

As for Eva Cassidy....I've never heard of her.......so I went to youtube and found the song "Songbird" by her. I have NEVER heard a voice as exceptional in its range and ability as her voice.

Here's the link to her singing this song........listen carefully to what her voice does....it is amazing.

Here's her story on ABC.

Guess what my daughter bought me for Christmas?...... a new compiliation CD of Eva Cassidy songs called 'Nightbird'.

The story of her posthumous rise to fame in the UK is an interesting one.

Her work was relatively obscure until a BBC Radio 2 DJ - Terry Wogan - played her Songbird CD - which resulted in her songs being given more air play.

Here's an extract from Wiki.......

After Cassidy's death, local folk singer Grace Griffith introduced the Blues Alley recording to Bill Straw from her label, Blix Street Records. Straw approached the Cassidy family to put together a new album. In 1998, a compilation of tracks from Cassidy's three released recordings was assembled into the CD Songbird. This CD lingered in relative obscurity for two years until being given airplay by Terry Wogan on his wide-reaching BBC Radio 2 show Wake Up to Wogan, following recommendation by his producer Paul Walters. The album sold more than 100,000 copies in the following months

Ken