1/48 GWH MiG-29 9-12

Hello everyone!

Time to start new project. This time it's Great Wall Hobby's MiG-29

0ecce9ce-b2c0-45e9-b95d-b08b43874556_zpsfpl0mrcn.jpg

I'll be using Aires resin seat, and Aztec Models decals sheet "Polish Gliders 1"

DSC_3728_zpsrxhs7utk.jpg

I'm planing to build one of the ex-Czech birds acquired by Poland in 1995, still in original camo, with polish markings painted over.

DSC_3725_zpsbmgu5wqm.jpg

As for the kit itself, I'm impressed with molding quality and level of detail - best I've sees so far.

One small problem that I found is that location pins on circuit breaker base (1) are setting it a little bit to far forward, so it clashes with that plate with circular cut-out (2). Luckily, I dry fitted it before glue dried, removed the pins and adjusted it to correct position (as seen on picture)

57816241-7a61-4a6c-9d74-e3966e73681e_zpsxcsdipjj.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

BJ,

Looking good! I have this kit in the stash and have cracked it open to drool on the sprues a few times. I like the subtle highlighting on the dash and HUD camera. One question though, did the Polish birds have the ventral strakes of the 9-12 early? Can't wait to see more progress, keep it coming!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Hi Steve

I suggest you start building that MiG-29, you are going to enjoy it :). As for the ventral strakes - no, Polish planes don't have them. Only very early 9-12 had ventral strakes. You can build "late" 9-12 using "early" boxing - you simply don't use ventral strakes.

And now the progress...

When dry fitting,I found that auxiliary air inlet louvers sit under flush to main body.

DSC_3745_zpsm8oes9nk.jpg

I used strip of thin styrene to make it sit (almost) flush.

DSC_3743_zpstrutqn0w.jpg

End result

DSC_3746_zpskogj84gk.jpg

Top and bottom halves joined

DSC_3749_zpsu827xldi.jpg

To be continued tomorrow!

Engine cowlings fit is problematic, due to big gaps. This is best I could achieve:

DSC_3751_zpsglakgdwp.jpg

DSC_3753_zpsgjd7bia2.jpg

DSC_3756_zpssvstvlll.jpg

For the engine cowlings, remove all of the locating pins and you'll get a much, much better fit. I've built two of these and the locating pins are in the wrong spots.

-Cliff

Yes, you can get the gaps to close completely but it takes a good bit of sanding and test fitting in addition to removing the locator pins.

Cliff

Good to know that, Cliff. I'll be more persistent when building next MiG-29 (I'm sure there will be more)

In the meantime... it's starting to look like a Fulcrum.

DSC_3760_zpsozyj2y23.jpg

BJ,

A most Impressive build. You added just enough interest in the cockpit to create an illusion of extra detail especially with the canopy closed. I can't believe how fast you're flying through this build. Keep your updates coming.

Joel

Thanks guys!

Now the fun part - painting. There will be seven colors on this one: five from original Czech camo (light grey, light green, green, brown, sand), and two applied to paint over Czech markings when plane was transferred to Polish Air Forces (light blue and dark green).

First, light grey. I mixed xf-2, xf-21 and xf-83. Unfortunatelly you can't really see the shade on this picture, but I was using my phone camera in poor light.

DSC_3769_zpsngbbu2mk.jpg

Happy new year!!

That's a nice airframe you've chosen :woot.gif:/>

I have a couple of meritorical observations.

1) The HUDs lens should be yellow/golden

2) Main air intakes should be opened

Carefully check your colors and camouflage pattern before painting - reference photos show that there are many differences between suggested colors and camouflage pattern for this aircraft.

Eduard in their Academy repack got it correctly. It had painting option for Czech 7702 airframe which is exactly your 77 before it was transfered to Poland. Stick to their painting plans, they don't have the mistakes that Aztec decals have.

here is the link

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/1157.pdf

And here is my model of the exact aircraft:

P1012008.JPG

P1012022.JPG

And in polish service :D/>

IMG_0100_zps42e50c3a.jpg

IMG_0101_zps8ae90545.jpg

IMG_0132_zpseffeebad.jpg

And a reference photo, might come in handy :D/>

IMG_0001_zpsc45fb346.jpg

Huh. This is the first time I've seen any mention of the fit of those parts...

Not the first time for me, I've seen the same on most builds.

It is the first time I read the fix though, to remove the locating pins. Great information gained here. I was expecting the parts just didn't mate properly.

That's a nice airframe you've chosen :woot.gif:/>/>/>

I have a couple of meritorical observations.

1) The HUDs lens should be yellow/golden

2) Main air intakes should be opened

Carefully check your colors and camouflage pattern before painting - reference photos show that there are many differences between suggested colors and camouflage pattern for this aircraft.

Eduard in their Academy repack got it correctly. It had painting option for Czech 7702 airframe which is exactly your 77 before it was transfered to Poland. Stick to their painting plans, they don't have the mistakes that Aztec decals have.

here is the link

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/1157.pdf

Witam i wielkie dzieki :)

I've seen your model before, I stumbled upon your build @pwm when doing research for my project. I love it and I would be more than happy if my turns out to be half as good as yours.

As for your comments:

1) clear orange was closest I had

2) I know, but I will probably use proper FOD covers anyway. Besides, I like the way it looks with ramps closed...Not mention time saved on those ejector pin marks inside air ducts ;)

Many thanks for that link to Eduard's guide - from your build at PWM I knew that Aztek's instructions were wrong :)/>

Back to my build

I painted the light green and sand/earth colors using Tamiya's XF-71 and XF-52, both mixed with white

DSC_3778_zpsdcb6coei.jpg

I'll be traveling next few days, so till Friday there will be no updates I'm afraid.

See you next week!