Kinetic Super Etendard: beautiful kit, but.....

Just got mine from LM. No complaints at all about the quality of the kit - it is light years ahead of the Heller kit.

The only issue I have is that there is a stunning lack of information for colour callouts and the paint guide in general.

The issues:

Paint guide has reference to many colours but many are not assigned to any parts on the kit.

Many assembly drawing parts are not labelled for whatever colour they should be painted.

The paint guide for the aircraft profiles only shows the fuselage and wing colours, not even the nose is designated (I'm assuming it is black).

Also no reference to the various antennae, probes, or lights, etc. According to the instructions they are not to be painted. In real life they are not the same colour as the fuselage.

Time to redo the instruction guide with more detail, Kinetic.

Another shortcut Kinetic has been taking with their instructions in general are the poor quality aircraft profile colour charts.

They are crude, and in black and white, as opposed to the instruction guides which are usually excellent, in terms of detail and accuracy.

But it would be nice, also, for the aircraft profiles to be illustrated in colour, too.

My 2 cents. Otherwise, a beautiful kit.

Edited by Hoosfoos

Does it come with markings for an Argentine Armada jet?

<_< Silly enquire, sir. That's like a Phantom kit wouldn't bring any USN/USAF markings... :rolleyes:

Sun colour looks a tad yellow instead o' gold. Could ya please confirm?

Nice avatar, by the way. That's Barlow from Stephen King's Salem's Lot film, ain't it, Nachtjager?

• 2 weeks later...

Another issue with a Kinetic kit.... For me, Kinetic is a company I want to root for but always feel let down in the end. I don't want to turn this into a Kinetic bashing thread. It really seem they struggles with quality of some sort. From molding, part layout/break up to instructions which is just as important. Mind you, this is only what I have seen from the Kinetic kits I've got. Again, I'm for Kinetic. They pick some great subject matter. E-2 Hawkeye, C-2 greyhound, AMX along with couple harriers and Mirages. But with companies like AMK and GWH doing absolutely incredible kits, How does their kits affect Kinetics? Does Kinetic do any type of benchmarking? I'm not going to pretend I know anything about how to bring a new kit to the market.(which I don't) I just don't want to gave up on Kinetics.

Happy Modeling

Steven L :wave:

Again, quality improvement exists on all manufacturers, just maybe different approach.

However, just to my personal point of view, making quality model is not making rocket to to mars. Time, money, design, research are the factors to make the product out. The question is how to allocate those resouced among all those factors.

Without a proper logistics planning, the company can easily drop to a dead loop with unbalance resources allocation. In the history of model kit business, we saw a lot of case like this.

With stepping into 2016, we have include a new tooling facility where the mold quality same as the Su33 on all major product. In the meanwhile, a new team in manual design will incorporate some new standard.

In short, we are fully prepared for the competition ahead. And thanks for your support, we are ready for the next major shift in product quality both technically and financially.

The kit itself is very nice, however I was disappointed at finding that the Argentinean sun is yellow not gold.

I'm pretty sure it's yellow on Argentine military aircraft. It's yellow on the flag and the national coat of arms...

I am happy that Kinetic has chosen subject matter not already covered by other manufacturers. The Mirage kits are a good example. However, I feel that the quality as compared with other manufacturers is still lacking. As mentioned by other modelers above, I am not bashing Kinetic but rather providing them with constructive criticism. Its time to stop taking short cuts, modellers are willing to pay for a quality model with good fit and detail.

Modelling is just as much about time as it is about subject matter. By that I mean we as modellers are looking for a good fitting model that will save us the time so that we may buy more models and complete them. Hence more $$ for you manufacturers.

Case in point, Tamiya. It goes without saying, but the building experience provided by them is absolutely pleasurable however they have a limited choice in subject matter. Combine your subject matter with Tamiya fit and quality and you can pretty much print your own money.

Kinetic's choice in having decals printed by a third party was an excellent idea and I hope that out of the box thinking like that will continue at your organization.

Just my two cents!

If we are throwing two cents in..

All I will say is good on Kinetic.

They are giving us very good quality kits that are bringing aircraft people have been asking for for years.

The Mirage family for instance.

FRS.1 I mean how long have we waited for one of those and the kit is a cracker loaded with excellent marking choices and is clearly better than Hasegawas Harriers by some margin.

Tamiya release what one kit every 2-3 years any wonder they have time to refine the fit and tooling so much to generally make it drop fit.

Me I'll take Kinetic now anyway giving us very good models of highly desired airframes long ignored by Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell etc.

The new wave is here and it's welcome.

I am happy that Kinetic has chosen subject matter not already covered by other manufacturers. The Mirage kits are a good example. However, I feel that the quality as compared with other manufacturers is still lacking. As mentioned by other modelers above, I am not bashing Kinetic but rather providing them with constructive criticism. Its time to stop taking short cuts, modellers are willing to pay for a quality model with good fit and detail.

Modelling is just as much about time as it is about subject matter. By that I mean we as modellers are looking for a good fitting model that will save us the time so that we may buy more models and complete them. Hence more $$ for you manufacturers.

Case in point, Tamiya. It goes without saying, but the building experience provided by them is absolutely pleasurable however they have a limited choice in subject matter. Combine your subject matter with Tamiya fit and quality and you can pretty much print your own money.

Kinetic's choice in having decals printed by a third party was an excellent idea and I hope that out of the box thinking like that will continue at your organization.

Just my two cents!

Thank you very much for your encouragement. If you notice, the quality from us has gone a long way since the first F-16. Especially the product from 2014-2015, the surface detail, assembling fit has gone a long way since F-16. Although the fitting is not as good as you expected, but we are moving a little bit better from one release to another.

The Mirage IIIE is the last item that use old method to calculate the fitting. Starting from the AMX, FRS1 and now SuE, The fitting has a major improvement in 2015. Check out the SuE, some model builder finish the SuE from zero to painted in 4 days. The SuE is the best fitting so far, only a minor step in some hidden area exists.

Starting from F/A-18C (48031), we have used a new subcontractor in tooling. All your desired detail, crispy detail, fine panel line, laser engraving detail. perfect fitting. With the one pc lower hull, the trouble getting alignment on the intake gone.

I have the test shot of the coming F/A-18C, I am sure that you will rank us into a higher class ranking from that point. But I don't want to "sell" what it will be, better you tell me when you get it. I personally also surprised with the fitting on the multiple parts nose section. The test shot of the coming F/A-18C will show up in the Toy Fair 2 weeks later. checkout various media for the report.

Talking about your description to the Big-T, have you even think about "Why Big-T does not release this subject ?" My guess would be: the subject does not generate the revenue that the company projected with the quality requirement or the subject does not serve the company product line sales under Big-T operation scale. Therefore, it leaves the room for smaller maker to fill that gap.

So, if the retail consumer want the subject that Big-T quality/price performance from a smaller maker, it posses some risk for the small maker sufficient cash flow drag (more expensive to make the tooling). The more you spend, the more beautiful it is. This is nothing new. So you can see some top-touch 1/48 kits selling over US$95. It serves some high-end consumer where they do pay for the quality. But we think if we can deliver the top-touch quality at an affordable price, it will have more repeating sales in the long term future. In order to achieve this goal, we put our priority to establish a more solid business foundation first before spending top dollar on top class tooling.

And after 7 years of hardworking, I can tell you that we reach that inflection point, the F/A-18C will have a new tooling quality (which you guy crazy to ask for) with an affordable price. With the new tooling system, we target to achieve:

1. Reduce parts count with details via clever tooling design. To make it simple and effortless to build;

2. Make it affordable.

Well, I don't say too much here, check out the SuE and the coming F/A-18C. You will see it.

Edited by Raymond Chung

Hasegawa makes/made 1/48 Harrier kits? How did I miss that? <_</>/>

:rolleyes:/>

Given you don't know the massive difference between an FRS.1 and a GR.7 family which Hasegawa do, do you really think you should be commenting?

Edited by dehowie

Awlrighty then, ya tell me whut part in G*O*L*D! ya seem nay to understand too well, Jay...? :rolleyes:/>

1. My name isn't "Jay".

2. Do you have photos or other documentation that indicates that the sun on Argentine military aircraft is different from the national coat of arms and the national flag?

1. My name isn't "Jay".

---> :rolleyes: <--- Yeh, me knows that, luv, but me meant the first character on yer user name... :doh:

2. Do you have photos or other documentation that indicates that the sun on Argentine military aircraft is different from the national coat of arms and the national flag?

Yeh, me does. :P