Revell 2016 releases

1/32 F-18E looks like a neat kit which should be popular.

Is Says New Tool. Question I'm wondering is wether it would be an actually completely new tooled kit of them, or just a blow up of their 1:48 kit.

Like the 777. An airliner a like to build in a couple of variants.

Does anyone know if the 1/72 F4U-4 Corsair is a new tool or an Italeri repop?

Tom

My understanding is that it is revised tooling, using the F4U-1A/D Corsair kit that was released last year.

I've built one of their Tomcats in the past,so as I don't have it anymore I just remember this

Accuracy in terms of shapes was somehow fine

Accuracy in nazi terms...nope.The D does indeed have the GE but no modified fuselage shields or whatever they are called,chin pod was too tiny and there it was a big mess around intakes and main gear wells as there were visible seams everywhere,no NACES only GRU and panel lines were just trenches,decals were good only in the limited edition box with a book

How are the Revell Tomcats in terms of kit quality and accuracy? I could be interested in the F-14D (1:72) if priced right for quick builds. Is it a rerelease from another manufacturer?

I can really recommend the Hobbyboss-kit of the F-14D.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=267740

HAJO

I've built one of their Tomcats in the past,so as I don't have it anymore I just remember this

Accuracy in terms of shapes was somehow fine

Accuracy in nazi terms...nope.The D does indeed have the GE but no modified fuselage shields or whatever they are called,chin pod was too tiny and there it was a big mess around intakes and main gear wells as there were visible seams everywhere,no NACES only GRU and panel lines were just trenches,decals were good only in the limited edition box with a book

Yeah, I wasn't terribly impressed by the kit either. The intakes suck, so intake covers are recommended.

2213895250051667340fFPHtM_fs_zps75fa5f4d.jpg

I used VF Decals for the markings.

Edited by Johnopfor

How are the Revell Tomcats in terms of kit quality and accuracy? I could be interested in the F-14D (1:72) if priced right for quick builds. Is it a rerelease from another manufacturer?

Somewhere down here you can find a quick blurb I wrote back in the ol' Usenet days:

http://www.foundcollection.com/18_1aaacdbfc5fe25b0_1.htm

Cheers,

Andre

Is Says New Tool. Question I'm wondering is wether it would be an actually completely new tooled kit of them, or just a blow up of their 1:48 kit.

Do you understand how model kits are produced? "Tool" means a huge chunk of steel that's carved out to create a mold to produce a kit. You can't "blow up" a 1/48 kit to 1/32 without creating a new tool to do it.

They may use the same basic CAD shapes, but you don't just take detailed kit design for a 1/48 model kit and blow it up 150% to get a 1/32 model kit. There's a LOT more to it than that.

Do you understand how model kits are produced? "Tool" means a huge chunk of steel that's carved out to create a mold to produce a kit. You can't "blow up" a 1/48 kit to 1/32 without creating a new tool to do it.

They may use the same basic CAD shapes, but you don't just take detailed kit design for a 1/48 model kit and blow it up 150% to get a 1/32 model kit. There's a LOT more to it than that.

Do you have some sort of aversion to giving non-condescending answers?

Ken

Great to see them do an F/A-18E in 1/32!

I have only laid eyes on their 1/32 Tornado and Typhoon, the Tornado has very good shape accuracy and beautifully done surface detail, whereas the Typhoon is ok on shape but terribe in just about all other respects... really hope they deliver with this kit, they need to since the Trumpeter Superhornet is not too bad.

:cheers:

Marcel

Though it is not subject matter which interests me, the 1/32 F-18E looks like a neat kit which should be popular.

Now I'm in a quandary, I've been allocating funds to get one of Academy's 32nd legacy Hornets, but this looks worthy of delaying my buy. If Revell would just do the legacy Hornets in 32nd I'd be ecstatic (especially if they are done with recessed panel lines).

Wonder if that 1/144 flanker is a new tooling...

Revell-Germany produced a 1/144 Su-27 in 1990 - it's probably that one. It's no comparison to the Trumpeter Su-27 kits - Soviet-era ideas about the shape, no cockpit, incorrect pylons, poor weapons. Try this link to see what it looks like: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9326&start=345

The Trumpeter kits are amazing. Get those. Revell has so many amazing 1/144 kits in their archives. I don't know why they'd bring this particular one back.

Now I'm in a quandary, I've been allocating funds to get one of Academy's 32nd legacy Hornets, but this looks worthy of delaying my buy. If Revell would just do the legacy Hornets in 32nd I'd be ecstatic (especially if they are done with recessed panel lines).

Clif, you cannot really go wrong with the 1/32 Academy Hornet kits, they are some of the best 1/32 jet kits out there, the only kit I can think of that's better is the 1/32 Tamiya F-16. I'll be over the moon if Revell produces a Superhornet that approaches the quality level of the Academy Hornet series. That said, I'd be even more over the moon if Revell expands on this 1/32 jet theme by doing a 1/32 F-22 and/or Rafale.

:cheers:

Marcel

If Revell would just do the legacy Hornets in 32nd I'd be ecstatic (especially if they are done with recessed panel lines).

They did - in 1980. You would have to rescribe to get recessed panel lines...

159228-10260.jpg

In kind of underwhelmed by their selection this year. And Revell/Monogram is my favorite company! This might be the year where I don't buy any kits. Thanks goodness for my little stash of kits. It'll see me through the dry spell.

Eric

Revell-Germany produced a 1/144 Su-27 in 1990 - it's probably that one. It's no comparison to the Trumpeter Su-27 kits - Soviet-era ideas about the shape, no cockpit, incorrect pylons, poor weapons. Try this link to see what it looks like: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9326&start=345

The Trumpeter kits are amazing. Get those. Revell has so many amazing 1/144 kits in their archives. I don't know why they'd bring this particular one back.

That Revell 1/144 Flanker was just a re-boxing of the Tsukuda Hobby tooling in late 80s (same goes to their Mig-25/31):

kawasaki_zzr8431-img484x600-1434783610u8nefq7524.jpg

IMGP1221_zpsdniogqmh.jpg

IMGP1284_zpssb5og66t.jpg

Hmm, that He70 and I-153 look interesting.

The F4U-4 as well, as long as they do a better job than they did with their F4U-1D(ish) that it's likely based on. But probably not unless they completely retooled the fuselage (the nose on their -1D is just wrong, and they boxed it as a -1A when you can't make a -1A from it without modification)