Revell 2016 releases

if Revell expands on this 1/32 jet theme by doing a 1/32 F-22 and/or Rafale.

:cheers:

Marcel

Marcel...I'm with ya...though not perfect the buzz and praise for their 1/32 Eurofighter makes me wanna yell hey Revell do the Rafale...the 1/48 Rafale is a jewel though again not perfect, but then again what plastic model kit is?. An upscaled Rafale would be off the shelves almost before it hit them.

Does any Air Force/Navy other than the French use the Rafale?, some different markings would be sierra hotel.

Added: Just found out...Egypt does :whistle:

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Do you understand how model kits are produced? "Tool" means a huge chunk of steel that's carved out to create a mold to produce a kit. You can't "blow up" a 1/48 kit to 1/32 without creating a new tool to do it.

They may use the same basic CAD shapes, but you don't just take detailed kit design for a 1/48 model kit and blow it up 150% to get a 1/32 model kit. There's a LOT more to it than that.

Did you get your period or something.

Maybe I didn't phrase it right our maybe my english writing for a dutch man needs some explaining. But yor already give the answer. What I'm wondering when I talk about completely new tool, is if they completely start from scratch. Our do they use some elements from there 1:48 design, by that I mean will they incoporate some of the same little mistakes.

Thanks for making it a nice place here Jennings.

And no I don't know anything about tooling being a engineer and all. Maybe because I use real tools at the workshop I forget how CAD programming works.

Marcel...I'm with ya...though not perfect the buzz and praise for their 1/32 Eurofighter makes me wanna yell hey Revell do the Rafale...the 1/48 Rafale is a jewel though again not perfect, but then again what plastic model kit is?. An upscaled Rafale would be off the shelves almost before it hit them.

Does any Air Force/Navy other than the French use the Rafale?, some different markings would be sierra hotel.

Added: Just found out...Egypt does :whistle:/>/>

Quatar also ordered 25 may '15.

Cheers,

Andre

The Egyptians are ordering 46 Ka-52Ks as well.

Egypt orders Ka-52

Edited by Johnopfor

A couple in there to interest me. They're re-popping their 1/48 Typhoon with decals to do the 'Bronze Tiger' scheme, and they're doing a "batch 3" 1/72 Typhoon. It's listed as a new tool, so it will be interesting to see if it's completely new or their existing 1/72 kit with some extra bits to represent the new lumps and bumps on the latest version of the aircraft.

Oh, and a 1/144 Boeing 747 with decals for Iron Maiden's Ed Force One? I'll be snapping that up!

Edited by Bobski

These releases are quite underwhelming - it would seem the new business model for the big companies like Revell is to release two or three new kits and just repop the hell out of other kits, rebox other companies' kits and kind of "get by"? I understand that Hasegawa tends to fall in the same format - their 1/72 F-4 kit has been pounded on for years. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

John

John, don't look now, but that's been Revell's MO since the 1960s. Economically, it makes sense to amortize the cost of the creation of new tooling out several decades. I don't think there is a kit manufacturer on the planet that doesn't premier a kit, issue a couple of boxes of it, then retire it for a few years, only to bring it back. Revell Germany are the masters of arranging the repackaging of other manufacturers' kits. Just a sampling of other brands in Revell D.E. boxes: Hasegawa, Italeri, MPM, Matchbox, Emhar, Monogram, Nitto, Otaki, Frog, Heller, . . . .

They did - in 1980. You would have to rescribe to get recessed panel lines...

159228-10260.jpg

I have that kit, it's more of a YF-17 than any form of production F-18A. To make an F-18 (of any production variant), you have to do more than just rescribe lines. Removing the dog-tooth on the wings and horiztontal stabs comes to mind, among other things.

Economically, it makes sense to amortize the cost of the creation of new tooling out several decades.

That's fine, but why did they make the choices they did? They have so many great 1/144 molds that there is demand for (Lightning, Hawker Hunter, NH90) and they pick something no one will be happy with.

I have that kit, it's more of a YF-17 than any form of production F-18A. To make an F-18 (of any production variant), you have to do more than just rescribe lines. Removing the dog-tooth on the wings and horiztontal stabs comes to mind, among other things.

I also have that kit and it is nowhere close to a YF-17. It is however very close to the first couple of FSD (pre-production) airframes before the dogtooth removal and LEX slot deletions etc. The same can be said about the Hasegawa 1/32 kit - it is representative of the first FSD airframes.

I also have that kit and it is nowhere close to a YF-17. It is however very close to the first couple of FSD (pre-production) airframes before the dogtooth removal and LEX slot deletions etc. The same can be said about the Hasegawa 1/32 kit - it is representative of the first FSD airframes.

Clearly we have different standards as to what an F-18 looks like. This kit is not even close to an F-18.

Edited by RiderFan