Model Master Acrylic Thinner

I have been solely using TAMIYA acrylic until now but due to a very limited color collection, I am starting using Model Master acrylic.

My question is: Should I use Model Master acrylic thinner ONLY? It is kind of expensive. I read on different sites that MM acrylic should NOT be used with any other thinner or alcohol. I'd appreciate your insights.

31LZJgccTuL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by MiG Hunter

It's expensive, but one container lasted me years and years. I'm currently using Tamiya acrylic thinner with my Model Master paints and it works fine as well. I don't think it's much cheaper, though.

Going cheap on thinner is risky. Think about how much time you have invested in the model. Do you really want to risk it by gambling on the thinner? You do not need to use that thinner to clean your airbrush. You can use windex, 91% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner, or something else cheap to clean your airbrush.

Having worked directly with Testors I can tell you Testors acrylic thinner does have specific anids formulated specifically for their paint. The Testors acrylic cleaner is a similar formula only "hotter" and can be used for thinning purposes as well(think 71% isopropal alcohol versus 91% isopropal alcohol). Distilled water can be used as an inexpensive alternative. The primary issue is the risk of over thinning of the paint which in the case of Testors acrylics can easily happen. It will compromise the paint's ability to perform as paint and it's ability to bond with the surfaces of the model. It's best to prime the model first before applying their acrylic paint. Without a primer, the risk of the paint lifting when masking is increased (even with Tamiya tape).

When Testors first introduced the acrylic paint line this was a much more problematic issue and forced them to pull the product and reformulate. The problem was lessened but not eliminated and the decision was to leave the product as is.

Something else to consider is whether the paint is water based or alcohol based. If you sniff it and it smells like alcohol (Tamyia, Gunze Aqueous) then it's alcohol based and isopropyl alcohol will work fine. In the case of Testors Acrylics, they are water based. To add alcohol will curdle the paint and result in poor performance. Likewise adding water to Tamiya paints isn't going to work either.

With regard to the use of Windex, washer fluid or anything with ammonia in it I would not advise the use of these products for airbrushing or the cleaning of airbrushes under any circumstances. Ammonia is not only detrimental to the paint but to the airbrush as well. With paint it breaks down the resins of the paint.

With regard to airbrushes, most quality airbrushes on the market, Iwata, Grex, Harder & Steenbeck to name a few are brass based bodied airbrushes. Ammonia naturally reacts with brass and is commonly known as "brass shock". Some have the misconception that if ammonia can't be used then other products like lacquer thinner can't be used either. This is a false understanding as lacquer thinner can be used with most airbrushes without detriment to the airbrush itself.

If the chrome plating on any of these airbrushes is compromised it can cause a deteriorating situation. The Chrome plating is there to protect the airbrush as well as promote proper flow qualities through the airbrush. Without it, it can compromise the airbrush's ability to perform correctly. I can't speak for Harder & Steenbeck but both Grex and Iwata do NOT recommend the use of ammonia based products through their airbrushes.

Edited by 86Sabreboy1