Revell forthcoming 1/48 109 G-10

..which from all I've read is still a darned nice kit, just maybe a little underdetailed by today's standards.

In 1/72, I assume the F4U-4 is based on their recent new-tool F4U-1, although it could be a re-pop of the old Matchbox kit. I also wonder about the Spit II..is it a re-pop of their venerable old tooling from the 70s, or a new tool (which would be hard-pressed to beat Airfix)?

<edit> Looks like the Spit is labeled "New Tool," (again I wonder why they bothered) while the F4U-4 is not, leading me to believe it's the old Matchbox kit (a surprise, since the parts breakdown of Revell's new-tool F4U-1 led a lot of folks to believe a -4 was in the works.)

SN

Edited by Steve N

It may be a typo..Hyperscale has a build-up of the forthcoming F4U-4, and it's definitely based on Revell's recent -1 kit, despite NOT saying "new tool." It wouldn't surprise me if the 1/72 Spit II is the old kit I built several of back in the 70s. After all Revell re-popped their abominable 60s-vintage P-51-ish monstrosity just a couple years ago.

SN

It may be a typo..Hyperscale has a build-up of the forthcoming F4U-4, and it's definitely based on Revell's recent -1 kit, despite NOT saying "new tool."

"New tool" for RoG denotes an entirely new tool, not a new variation on a previous tooling with new parts added.

Cheers,

Andre

There is no definition for "new tool". Revell's F4U-4 is based on their "new tool" F4U-1, so by their definition it's still a "new tool" because it's never been released before.

I was under the impression that Revell used a term like 'variant' or something similar to denote new kits that are modified variants of previously released kits. And that they normally use 'new tool' to denote kits that are all-new.

I can't say with absolute certainty since I know nothing of the F4U kits in question, but the above has been my experience in the past.

That's a rebox of the Revell/Monogram mold from the 1990s'. Recessed panel lines, good fit, simple to build, overall good shape. Not as detailed as some newer offers but still makes into a nice build.

I built one when I was in high school - I graduated in May of 1980 :)

Tempus fugit.

I was under the impression that Revell used a term like 'variant' or something similar to denote new kits that are modified variants of previously released kits. And that they normally use 'new tool' to denote kits that are all-new.

I can't say with absolute certainty since I know nothing of the F4U kits in question, but the above has been my experience in the past.

Yes, they absolutely do.

Cheers,

Andre

Yes, they absolutely do.

So you're saying the announced F4U-4 is a *completely* new tool, and not just a few newly tooled parts for the F4U-1A they released last year? I'm going to need to see photographic proof before I believe that.

So you're saying the announced F4U-4 is a *completely* new tool, and not just a few newly tooled parts for the F4U-1A they released last year? I'm going to need to see photographic proof before I believe that.

No.

This kit was announced as a Variant. Not as a Neue Form.

Andre