Hasegawa Basic mini kits

Am I going mad? I clearly remember buying several of these kits by Hasegawa in the 80's as a kid with my pocket money.

I think they were 1/144 scale(?), moulded in white plastic. They were the 'teen jets' - F-14,15,16,18 and they came in two iterations - really basic decal set and really detailed decals. They had a round hump to replicate a pilot's head in the otherwise board flat cockpit.

Thing is, no amount of Google-foo is turning up any results on these kits.

Can you help me with any links to kit boxings, pictures etc?

Yeah, which is why I'm questioning my sanity. I remember them having the assembly sequence on the back.

I seem to remember Dragon having kits like you describe. I had a Thunderbirds F-16 and I remember my uncle had a f-117 in his kit stash. This would have been in the early 90s

No you're not. They're part of the Coin Series and seem to be out of production. They were snap-fit kits. Here's a page of them from Hasegawa's 1984 catalogue.

702E817D-2370-4AF5-BF7C-83D85DFE6FC4.jpg

Mark

Legend! Those are the ones! Thanks ;)

You're not going mad. I will NEVER forget the Hasegawa COIN kits because my very first Hasegawa kit was the F-15 one shown in Mark's post. I bought it when I was a boy using my own pocket money.

Mark, since you're from Singapore, I wonder if you remember the old Oriental Emporium at the old Woodlands Bus Interchange? (Just next to the now defunct Woodlands Cinema). That's where I got my first Hasegawa kit :D

The other reason why I will never forget this particular Hasegawa COIN F-15 is because...being just a kid...I first used ordinary starch paper glue to fix the parts. That didn't work. So I used Shelly's Super Glue which was the only other glue I had at home ( stolen from my Dad's toolbox). I ended up gluing my fingers together and had to use a pen-knife to slice away layers of my finger skin to pry free my fingers. Not a pleasant experience:

demotivational-posters-crazy-glue.jpg

Another reason I will never forget the kit is because I used wall paint to paint the kit. The only paint we had was a tin of Nippon Beige which was the colour we used on our living room walls. So I ended up with a F-15 that was beige in color :lol:

Those were the days.....

You're not going mad. I will NEVER forget the Hasegawa COIN kits because my very first Hasegawa kit was the F-15 one shown in Mark's post. I bought it when I was a boy using my own pocket money.

Mark, since you're from Singapore, I wonder if you remember the old Oriental Emporium at the old Woodlands Bus Interchange? (Just next to the now defunct Woodlands Cinema). That's where I got my first Hasegawa kit :D/>

The other reason why I will never forget this particular Hasegawa COIN F-15 is because...being just a kid...I first used ordinary starch paper glue to fix the parts. That didn't work. So I used Shelly's Super Glue which was the only other glue I had at home ( stolen from my Dad's toolbox). I ended up gluing my fingers together and had to use a pen-knife to slice away layers of my finger skin to pry free my fingers. Not a pleasant experience:

demotivational-posters-crazy-glue.jpg

Another reason I will never forget the kit is because I used wall paint to paint the kit. The only paint we had was a tin of Nippon Beige which was the colour we used on our living room walls. So I ended up with a F-15 that was beige in color :lol:/>

Those were the days.....

Hahaha I used to hang around the Hougang Oriental after school! Now Kovan Mall I think. I used scotch tape for my first kits as well, old Airfix kits that were sold in NTUCs then. My dream target then was the Red Arrows Gnat I think. Never managed to get it though.

Hey, while we are talking basic, cheap, small kits, anyone remember these:

When I was a lad in the mid-70s, the local department store had packs of cheap toys for parents to use as kids party favors, like at birthday parties to give to the kids who came over. On the racks there was a series of jet kits, I really don't remember much about them except there was a Magister in the series, I remember that as the V tail and overall shape stood out to me. Don't even remember what the others were, but there were at least a half-dozen other jets in the series. They were sold in tiny end-opening boxes, I think in packs of 6 in a cellophane bag?

Ring any bells with anyone?

Just a couple of pics for Parabat since he asked for some, from my collection.

29S4Vma.jpg

08ATCZu.jpg

Ah, good memories! I remember buying these kits (couldn't accurately remember if it was Hasegawa) for about $2 a kit in the 80's. Good times.

That looks a lot like the old LS kit. I'd have to find mine to see if the sprues match.

It isn't, I have both LS and Hasegawa "Coin" F-18, they are different kits entirely. LS and Hasegawa were rivals, they did not rebox each others kits.

Past tense as the LS molds are now owned by Arii, who also own the Otaki molds.